Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is she too far gone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mountainlivin, Jul 22, 2012.

1. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

Buy a donor car to fill on the gaps....saves a ton of loot. My motor came from a car that disappeared when I pressured washed it so I bought a donor car with a good body. 1+1=good car

2. slammed

slammed

Fuel system. Cooling system. Brake system. Then hit the drive train. Rare car you have there. Look up the production of them. How are the floors?

3. If the frame is good and you can get it drivable, the rest is just cosmetic.

4. hell man it still has rockers and most of its 1/4's shes a builder

5. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

Dude that thing is mint to MN standards!!

6. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

that poor wagon would be a rust spot on the lawn if it was here in New England. everything you guys have is worth rebuilding!!

7. I think that can should stay in the car.

8. mountainlivin

mountainlivin

Great idea! You all are awesome. After reading these posts I have no doubt that she needs to be revived. Thank you!

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Too bad it's not a manual transmission! That Pepsi can would make a killer shift knob if you filled it with some 2-part poly casting resin and drilled the bottom.

10. Gromit

Gromit

Great, I think it's a good start you have there. As long as it has floors, throw gas and a battery at it, drop a blanket on the seat and see what you have. ;)

11. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Get it running,blanket on the seat,drive it. Worry about the body work later.

12. FatDave

FatDave

I think you're in good shape... and at least you know what you're looking at.
    In a lot of cases those rusty bits would be hiding beneath a half an inch of filler.

13. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Too far gone??

That depends on the person and their wallet.

Check out my build (and yes, this car is coming together just fine, even though Fred Flintstone would've been at home in it).

My Olds had/has some very bad floor/rocker/quarter/inner fender rust issues, and I just discovered that the B pillars are shot too.

It's time consuming, and it's not cheap, but slowly this car is coming back together.

Old cars aren't getting any cheaper or easier to find, so it seems to me that what we all used to once pass over is now often times the only choice.

Those of us who can bend metal into panels have it a little easier when looking for a project, but not much.

Attached Files:

14. I have built worse,looks like a good builder to me. HRP

15. I will second that looks good. My 94 Chevy truck has more rote.:eek:

16. pumpman

pumpman

Heck here in Michigan that would be considered cherry. Go for it, just give it time.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In Denmark that would be in real good nic, and set you back close to 4500usd. So no not bad at all!!!! You are so lucky!

18. Faus

Faus

I have a 62 four door and the rear frame unibody and trunk floor are pretty bad. I love the little car so I know a guy who builds almost anything out of steel and he made me new rear frame unibody pieces out of heavy gauge sheet steel (far stronger than stock) and I replaced the floor with heavier gauge sheet steel.... This all cost me a little over $100 and it looks factory to anybody but maybe a falcon fanatic. My point is.... If you love the car enough, you'll save it.

19. choptvan

choptvan

Is this the one that was sitting on the westside? In an alley? I almost boughti t. But we scored a good deal on a 64 galaxie wagon with a 390 instead. Was a No brainer for us!

20. This rare two door should be saved...I've seen worse cars brought back from the brink.

21. Shit, I hope to get my car to that condition.

22. wallyringo

wallyringo

No way you got all the glass looks like a complete car, and a 2 door, go for it.

23. Rich427

Rich427

I'm with you guys. We build cars up here in New England that start worse than that

24. I love responses like these! The eastern and Maritime Province Canadians, and the US Rust Belt and East Coast guys look at that like virgin sheet metal, while the Southwest and California guys look at it as "well, I can find better!"

It depends on what you want to do with the car, your budget and your abilities. Me? Hell, a two-door Falcon wagon makes for a great cruise night ride and a daily driver. I'd definitely build it.

25. Nope, looks good.

26. twistedridez

twistedridez

Restore it or fix it up and drive the crap out of it!!!