Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects lowering 55.2 chevy pu advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93chevy55, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 93chevy55

93chevy55

hey guys i have a 55 chevy pu 2nd series and I've been wanting to lower it and put a bigger motor in it. I'm just trying to find out all of my options.. I've been considering the frame swap but i was wondering what other lowering options are out there for the truck. I've heard of the rear axle flip for the back but i don't know about the front i do not want to do the mustang ifs or the 3" lowering straight axle for the front or mono leafs i was wondering if anyone has info about the lowering the front in any other ways in which will not put a huge dent in my budget please if anyone has info or input about lowering please reply it is greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance kujo ps here is what i am working with

Attached Files:

2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

You pretty much squashed all your options with the list of what you don't want to do except frame swap. Budget wise dropped axle and rear flip is probably cheapest

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you can subframe your frame with a Camaro/Firebird subframe. That's pretty much standard on the Task Force trucks and works better than a frame swap.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148978

Or you can buy the dropped tube axle and springs from the guy who owns this truck as he is trying to raise it up a couple of inches. There is only a couple of inches of clearance under the axle though as it has a severe drop.
    [​IMG]

4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Nove or camaro subframe, I myself like the rear steer units 68-72ish ones. But if you are on a tight budget The dropped axle may be easier and cheaper in the long run for you. Any clip you buy you will still spend 500 bux or so rebuilding it to make it safe and buying the steering stuff to adapt to your column. You will spend that at least with the axle drop if you dont buy lowered leaves. What kind of ride are you looking for? And what are your abilities as far as building goes?

5. 93chevy55

93chevy55

I've heard that the drop axle gives problems with the steering linkage and would have to start bending linkage on original truck and i am looking for a lower ride to the truck and my building abilities.. i like to think that i can build almost anything when i take my time and think about it

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Check out some of the Jag XJ6 threads here on the H.A.M.B. Most are for similar year F100s, but the same principals apply to the Chev. I walked through my local U-Pullit sinnce I answered your other post last week and was thinking about it, and I counted 13 donors in local joint with half price day a couple of weeks away. Cheap, easy to do, and available. The other suggestion of the Camaro/Nova clip is good too. More work, but this is one the few vehicles that fit that clip well.

7. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I lowered my 59, I took 2 leafs out of each spring pack and it came down enough to look lowered from factory but still high enough for any steep driveway. There is a thread on it here but it was super easy. just buy some new Ubolts, cut off the old ones and put new ones on when reasembling and it can be done in a day.

8. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I have a dropped front axle no issues with anything just straight up swap, I would recommend not getting some of the after market ones you see around but having yours done by someone that knows what they are doing, (Sid) I am about to do the sub frame on a59 and thats cool too . Just sounded like you were looking for something with a little less fab

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

X's 2 this is a good setup for the 55-59 truck

10. I just bought a '77 Z28 clip for my '56 stepside and only spent $125. If you take your time and search, you can do a clip on a tight budget.