Register now to get rid of these ads!

Elec. fuel pump in a '41 ford. Pusher? Puller?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I did a search and didn't find any discussion about the advantages of a pushing Electric fuel pump, mounted back near the tank, verses a pulling pump mounted up near the engine. Like in my case, where it's mounted under the floor, below the fire wall. I've seen one mounted on the splash shield inside the left rear fender. but that makes me ask, does it have to be mounted below the tank? does it matter?
    Mine just died on me, and I'm going to replace it with either, just wanted some knowledgeable input. Thanx.

2. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

Most lower cost Pumps are not designed to sit above the Fuel Tank level and are designed to be close to the Tank-if you move up to a Aeromotive a1000, or a Weldon a600 then yes, you can mount them above the Tank, they have the ability to pull-

3. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Weldon looks like a good unit, from what I've read. I'm starting to like the advantages of a pusher verses a puller. any opinions?

4. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I have installed a Weldon 1100a in my coupe-it's not on the road yet, but Weldon is a top quality Company, and stand behind their products very well (they also make Pumps for Airplanes)-

Weldon is certainly not your only choice-Holley has a new line of Pumps, Walbro, Aeromotive, CSR and others-just make certain that it meets your situation-

5. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I've looked at Holley, Weldon, and Aeromotive, but I can't get any info about which one is a pusher, or a puller, or which is better. Also there are SO MANY different kinds how do I know which one is good for my application? The one that just died is a small cylindrical type.

6. 41fordor

41fordor

There are several threads on Fordbarn about this. Airtex and Carter also make 6V or 12V pusher type pumps that can be used as a backup to the mechanical pump. The Airtex will still allow a mechanical pump on the engine to "pull" fuel through it. The Carter, I found out, will not. So the bypass with one way valve allows me to use the electric pump for priming after sitting or with vapor lock on the flatty, then let the mechanical pump take over.

[​IMG]

7. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I have a 6v Airtex that's used for priming and backup only. It's mounted on the rear crossmember behind the tank and has always worked well for me.

8. Diavolo

Diavolo

I guess it is not as common knowledge as I thought. All electric pumps should be mounted as close to the tank (if not in it) and are most effective as a pushing pump. If I am wrong, please provide some documentation from a manufacturer that states otherwise. Some electric pumps can pull but that is not what they are designed to do.

9. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

That sounds good for a back up to a mechanical pump, but my mechanical pump has been blocked off, so I'm looking to replace my electric pump with something that will work as the only pump. How can you tell if your Airtex pump is a pusher, or a puller?

10. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

After much further study (Thank you Ford Barn) I guess the pumps are the same for pushing and pulling. It just matters where you mount it. The rear is the obvious choice, and after looking at others, It looks like inside the frame rail is the most common. Now to get that baby up in the air, and spend some time getting down and dirty.

11. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Bomber>>>Like in my case, where it's mounted under the floor, below the fire wall.>>>

I've yet to have a problem mounting just about any pump as low as possible just about anywhere. Sounds like yours is already mounted in a good place to me!

Jack E/NJ