Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good places to eat in Joplin and/or near the host hotel?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by sodbuster, Jul 23, 2012.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I'm tired of Steak & Shake & the Mexican place across from the host hotel is/was disgusting last year. Any local recommendations for a place to eat and sorta' kid (3 year old boy) friendly? I wish that Pizza By Stout was still around, that was our staple for a Saturday feast.

Thanks in advance.
    Chris

I was going to 'dig' up the old post from a couple of years back, but I thought that I would start a new one.

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

The former Mexican place across from the host hotel is to reopen soon. It will be the new location of Jim Bob's Steakhouse, that was destroyed in the tornado last year. I only ate at there old location a couple of times but I thought that it was good food at a reasonalble price. They had been in busniess a long time and that says something.

The Chedder's resteraunt that is just west of the host hotel is usually good.

I am reluctant to recomend places as it would be just my luck that you would have a bad experience but there are many places to eat within a half mile of the host hotel.

John

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. ryno

ryno

Woodies smoke house is on the way from the track back to the hotel,about half way. On hwy 171 at stones corner. A little past that on 171 just east of range line is an awesome Mexican buffet call mucho Mexico.

Other then that, just about what every city has chain spots

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

If you are interested in bulk for a cheap price, and not worried about taste, the best bargain is the Sam's Club snack bar. Your stomach will need to be tougher than mine.

John

5. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Lalos Taqueria on 7th
    http://www.lalos07.com/

Woody's Pizza on west 7th
    http://782wood.com/contact.html

These are both small but pretty good I think.

Fat and Happy, North Main near Hwy 171
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fat-Happy/190197507687465

Marias on 32nd and on Madison in Webb City. Decent strip mall Mexican.
    http://mariasmexicancantina.com/

Undercliff Cafe south of the hotel on a secret road.
    http://undercliff.net/

There is a new HARPS Grocery store on the way to the track. They have a deli with fried chicken.

Don't forget the Mo-Kan Concession, have a mud hole special and if you live let me know how you liked it.!

6. Let's not forget "Red Hot and Blue" on Rangeline. Just a couple miles north of the hotels. Love that place, good eats.

7. ryno

ryno

i think they just reopened.
    also a good spot is pacific rim, Mongolian bbq, they cook it all up on a big wok table and bring it too your table, they also have reg chinese plates and sushi,heading there right now for lunch.

8. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

That'll make Denise happy.

9. agasrcng

agasrcng
    from Mounds, OK

Ryno, what about that Mediterranean place that sits on the west side of Rangeline, about a mile or so down from the hotel? Did it survive the tornado? And if it did, is it any good and still open? Also, besides Outback, are there any other good steakhouses?

10. ryno

ryno

Mytho's ?
    That about the only mediterranean / Greek place i can think of.
    Yes it's still there and open.

There's logans,applebees,and if you like tepan style, there's toyko steak house

11. agasrcng

agasrcng
    from Mounds, OK

Yep, I think that's the name of it. Do you know if it's any good?

12. ryno

ryno

Never been. I hear that is good,but expensive.

13. senior fried

senior fried

Right off the top I'm thinking Ryno's house for donuts !

14. travis horton

travis horton

Go north on Rangeline, turn left(west) on 7th Street a couple of blocks to Stogey's. Basic burgers, chili, fries, coney's.

15. :D Did you ever try the Bananna Shake? My wife and I have stopped there just for the shakes. Just short distance away, North from there was some place with a couple of 57 Chevy's sticking out of the upper front of the building. Did'nt have time to stop & check it out though. Has anyone else?

16. KCsledz

KCsledz

I second Maria's

Del Rio is down Rangeline also. I like the food but the wait staff is super slow.

17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks guys, looks like some great places to venture to. I'm thinking the 'wood fired' pizza place might be a Saturday evening thing & the 'Under cliff' place for a mid-breakfast.

Chris

18. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Got myself a good case of food poisoning at Del Rio a few years ago....

They were storing the salsa in open 5 galoon buckets next to the dish washer. I thought it had an interesting twang.

19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

There is also stewarts cafe in asbury just before you get to mokan they have great home cookin and awesome breakfast too. They also have a location in carterville as well. Woodys wood fired pizza on 7th street in joplin is real good and Blackthorn pizza and pub on joplin street in downtown is a great place as well. If your up for hot wings try hacketts hot wings on main in downtown is good too. All these places i have listed here are local flavor and are not chain restaurants but have good food and are reasonably priced.

20. ditto!!! Stewarts!!!!

21. KCsledz

KCsledz

Gross! That gives me a good reason to not go back.

22. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Being a newb to the area, I have not had time to try everything but here are a few that I like. Johnny Carinos by the mall for Italian is good with great service, Japanese Steak house by Fletcher Ford has really good Hibachi but is a bit pricey. These are both on Rangeline Rd with alot of other places. I have heard that Mythos (mediteranean) is also good but have not eaten there yet. A really good dog place is Instant Karma in downtown Joplin and very close to the wing place mentioned before. Red Hot & Blue is open and also very good, the grilled cheese grits are interesting.

23. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

"Undercliff" is a favorite but is extremely busy, so plan on a wait.

"Woody's Smokehouse" is really good and right on the path back to the hotel. If you've been to "Rudy's BBQ" in Texas it's EXACTLY the same. Large dining room and not that busy.

If you're up for a short drive, I've heard "Cafe on the Route" in Baxter Springs Ks is very good.

24. I don't like chain food but Bob Evans cooks up a pretty mean breakfast. It is right by the host hotel. It is my lil bros favorite from his childhood, he even orders the same thing as he did when he was 8!

ryno, is the Farmers Market still there (after the tornado) East of McDonalds? We bought a bunch of the goodies for the BBQ there a few years back.

25. ryno

ryno

yes the farmers market is still there, by the praying hands, in webb city.
    im not sure of teh hrs and such but could find out if need be.

26. ryno

ryno

cafe on the route, i believe is also running the club house at the golf coarse in my neighborhood.

red ball is a good destination in baxter springs ks also. the owner is a hamber also i believe. i know he came out and help me with teh tornado helping hands deal.

27. senior fried

senior fried

Woody's Smokehouse is better than Rudy's, in my humble opinion !

28. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Webb City Farmers market hours:

Tuesday & Friday 11-3
    Saturday 9-12

Great local produce and foods

29. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

My wife and I ate at the Chic Fil A on Rangeline today, for the first time ever. It was good fast food. We were there on another agenda however. Today the place was packed and there was a line of cars a couple of blocks long to get into the parking lot.

John

30. Big G 53

Big G 53
    from Neosho, MO

Del Rio has turned around. The food is very good, wait staff is friendly and knows how to do their job. The service isn't terribly slow, but it's not the fastest either. The wait on a weekend is relatively short.

If you like Greek food, Mythos is fantastic. Pricey, but very good. Service is exceptional, but the wait to get in can be an irritation if your starving when you get there.

The Undercliff is a neat little drive from Joplin through Saginaw and is a very cool establishment. Very laid back. The restaurant is built into the side of an undercut cliff (i.e. the roof inside is the rock wall). The food is good and the staff is friendly. Unfortunately, the wait to get in is always long and it's often difficult to find a spot to park. When my wife and I go, we almost always go on our motorcycle/s. (If you like bikes, you will see some there).

If you happen to be going to the swap meet in Springfield at some point, you'd be well served to make the detour to Aurora, MO to try Bootleggers. Bootleggers has great food and a very pleasant wait staff. The restaurant is in what used to be a turn of the century bank, complete with vault (where the micro-brewery is located). The beer is fantastic and growlers (brown tinted jug) are available for $20. If you happen to go back, bring your empty growler and they'll exchange it for a full one for $10. (If you like turn of the century architecture, it's worth going just to see the building.)