Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm thinking of chopping up a model a sedan, any last words?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loco_gringo, Feb 20, 2012.

?
  1. Hell yeah, go for it.

48.5%
  2. Hell no, don't do it.

51.5%
  1. firingorder1

firingorder1

For me sedans are way better looking than coupes and to cut up a sedan to make an ugly truck cab is sacrilege.

2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

[​IMG]

If it turns out like this, the yes. if it turns out like any of the other pictures i've seen on this thread then NO

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

4. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I would do it, but sneak in a couple inches, it will also diminish the " to quick of a turn look " as well - I'm 6'2" and seem to like small uncomfortable cars.... I'm not sure what's wrong with me though!

6. I think with a fair amount of effort it is possible to make an attractive transition from the back of the door to the curvature of the back. It will have the smoother influence of the sedan body style just as the original closed cabs have the chunky influence of the Model T; and that is OK. It will automatically be chopped looking compare to an original '28-29 closed cab, so I would likely build the body first without the chop before making that decision. You might also want to consider keeping a few inches (maybe up to 9") of the sedan's side windows as that would give you a few more inches of precious leg room, and particularly critical if the firewall is recessed for a bigger engine. One of the nicest things about the sedan style of the Model A is that you can slide the seat back and get enough leg room to be comfortable driving it for distances. That is hard to do on other Model A body styles I would not want to shorten the body so much that I would lose the potential comfort, particularly if a chopped top is being considered.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  7. Gett'er done man,gett'er done !

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

That sedan body you have looks too nice to chop up to make a truck cab out of.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

One of the cars you pictured is actually mine. I started with a body that had already been shortened into a pickup in the 60's (or earlier). If it hadn't already been shortened, I wouldn't have built it because I couldn't bring myself to cut up a sedan. Even with it being slightly longer than a stock PU, it is still rather tight (I'm 6'-1").

10. Crankhole

Crankhole

11. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I must concur.

12. Ricks29

Ricks29

I agree with every one saying dont chop a good rustless body. I have a 28 sedan and after cutting the rust out I had chopped 6" out of it. Trade it for your truck dont make it your truck

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

So, whatever happened to this? I'm curious.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I voted No, but to every man his own, and you grand dad went to war for; Coca cola, Hot Rods and women with large breast, could live free, so by no
    Means let me stop you.
    Bit since there ain't many desent cars left be careful what you do with the ones you find.
    Take a beater/POS/RR and use for a cut up truck.
    The cut up ones is only a way of saving a badly beaten, rusted out car from the junkyard! IMO

15. fortynut

fortynut

Holy Merlin! What's the big deal here? If you have a vision and have already worked out the physical aspects of creating it out of a donor vehicle, even if it's a bleeping Rolls Roller, get out the Dykem and slather it on and scribe yer bleedin' lines and starts a cuttin'. It's never about where you've been in life, it's about where yer goin' and what you come up with when ya get there. As in all good Fairy Tales, you're goin' to have a few naysayers tryin' to stop you gettin' to the end of yer journey. Keep a goin' til you get yer toy, 'cause it's yern and nair theirs.

16. Ronnie J

Ronnie J

I found one hacked up back in the day by the farmhand, and thrown together about as far from square as could be. People said leave it alone. I bought it. Decided to build a hotrod out of it, toss in a 350 Chev. People said aw another small block. So I dressed it as a Hemi. People said don't do that. I'm giving it a faux patina, because people said........The beauty of hotrodding, is taking something once comercially mass produced, just like every other one, and making it your own, your way. Get going!

17. Do it! If you need more room try the Jimmy Smith rendition, done as an extended cab . . .

[​IMG]

Steve

18. atch

atch

sell me the sedan and buy a pu...

19. the world is full of model A's, i hope he is in his shop cutting it into a pickup or whatever.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. [​IMG]
    This is the one! A good color and great looking wheels there. Very tasteful,
    not a hint of r*t rod.
    Any more pics or details on this??

21. I'd be busy marking and cutting.

22. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

That's pretty much what I am helping a friend of mine build, he picked up a four door and we will be removing the rear door section and using the rear window. He's a H.A.M.B member also hi is Pinstriperny on here.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

just what i was gonna say, at a quick glance, that actually looks like a pretty decent sedan body. Shame to cut up a nice one.

24. ...as much as I like trucks, I wouldn't cut up a good tudor body. Why not convert it to a sedan delivery, then you;d have a truck (sorta) with all the legroom you need.

25. Jen......

Jen......

trade the sedan for a truck cab , this is way to nice to cut up in to a pick up

Jen

26. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

Ill trade you a 35 Dodge truck cab