Register now to get rid of these ads!

How in the heck do you secure a trailer with a hitch coupler like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Jul 22, 2012.

1. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

make sure the trailer ball doesend have good threads someone could just bolt it to a reciever and jack up the toungue till they could slide the reciever into theyre bumper bracket

2. Colville

Colville

I have the same hitch on a trailer I own. I just bought a lock that fit through the hold where the safety pin goes. Yeah you could cut it and steal my trailer but I also insured my trailer, its only like $15 a year I think? If it gets stolen they buy me a new one. Simple as that, I have USAA for insurance but ask your company, im sure they have something if you're worried.

3. Chain the wheels together

4. I'm not sure anyone is reinventing the wheel, but there could be benefits from a lesson in congeniality here captain obvious.

Basically need a chastity belt for the bulldog style hitch. Many styles of those.
    Some folk buy what others have invented and brought to market, then there are those that invent the stuff. More buyers than inventors, obviously.

Some Chinese cast bullshit lock or aluminum billet crap might look snazzier than the bullet & hammer proof cover, buy what you have been led to believe you need or make what you want.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Don's hotrods,....It isn't new,...I saw them on rental trailers 40 some years ago. Never did like 'em..........

4TTRUK.

6. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Lol, that would b my luck..

7. My safety chains are padlocked to the trailer where the hitch pins used to be and I use a 3/8 shank Master padelock to lock one of the safety chains to the hitch on the truck.

Lee

8. Lee, You have the right idea, just make yours a little bit tougher to take than the next guys or at least too much effort for the avg opportunistic thief. I had a friend who found his featherlite gone, all except for the coupler which was still safely padlocked to his hitch. Good insurance bought him an upgrade and not a tear was shed. He even got new straps which he was in need of anyway.

9. I padlock the chain to eyelet that the chain hooks to on the receiver.

Lee

10. phat rat

phat rat

I've never seen them on decent quality trailers, always low end.

11. knotheads

knotheads

this type of lock is 10 seconds worth of cordless grinder and cut off wheel from being gone!

12. 117harv

117harv

I seem to look at things differently than most, all your suggestions are to cover the hitch, remove this obstical and the trailer will still be gone. If the hitch is gone, it is all but impossible to steal. It would take some time and fab to make a one off quickly removeable hitch, but it could be done and would be alot easier to take with you or store as opposed to two wheels from one side of the trailer.

13. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

go to any western shop or livestock supply-every horse or stock trailer made in the last 30+ years uses this type coupler,and yes they are a high -quality piece.these stores will carry several types of locks for all budgets

14. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

and yea I used to hate the damn things too-but now I work at a place that rents trailers and thats the only kind of coupler we dont have to replace every week!!!I'd like to say they are idiot proof,but we keep seeing bigger idiots!!

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Lock the wheels

16. phat rat

phat rat

I beg to differ. I used to be a dealer for Merhow horse trailers and they didn't use this type. Look at travel trailers and they don't use them either

17. No offense, but that is just too much effort, expense and time for a trailer. Plus that just creates a weakness to fail. My trailer is a tool and it needs to be robust and safe. I'd hate to have my $3000 trailer break and total a $60+k car or kill myself or others. Like I said before, no need to reinvent the wheel. If you're that worried that thieves will take your trailer, then maybe you should reconsider where you leave it.

These couplers simply are the safeist types. There are no adjustments to allow them to come off, they have the most robust fool-proof design and this is why they are used most for high end trailers. Look at anybody with livestock (high $$), this is the style you will probably find. The only thing as safe is a pintle but not popular for other reasons. I have twisted my hitch in a wreck, it never came off, you can't say that for the standard type which will pull off in that scenario.

Have proper insurance, lock it with a good lock or two and that's good enough. When I'm on the road I park in such a way that the trailer is blocked by backing up to a wall or other obstical and always as near as possible to my room. Alarms can be a help if your that paranoid. You'd be surprised how effective a simple red blinking LED on the toolbox can be.