Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Whats wrong with me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 20, 2012.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After a drinking a few beers when I came back from a swapmeet/car show a few years ago I decided to make some changes to my 37 Chevy p/u,I got the 235 to look like a 216 and plans on going back to a more period correct interior but I might be going too far now. There was a guy a few miles away parting out a 58 235 that put a rod out the side of the block so I picked up a generator and a carb and to top it off a foot stomp starter,I used a car starter when I put it togather but I miss using my foot to activate the starter. Am I the only one who is going to give up a perfectly good alternator and key activated starter to go back to the basics with a generator and foot stomp starter,maybe its time I get committed to a mental institution as you are supposed to go forward instead of backwards but not me. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. i like foot starters too. i wired a jog button from a printing press that i mounted to the floor.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hardcore, man. Hardcore.

4. R Pope

R Pope

This whole site is dedicated to the retro guys!

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

There's nothing wrong with you. There have been a lot of good ideas and great art started spurred on by a little altered brain activity spurred on by "a few beers" or similar chemical libation. The simplicity of the 216 & foot starter is not something that is grounds for commitment. Actually, it's quite the opposite. Just ask my buddy that just dropped $800 to have his plugs changed & a set of front brake pads & turned rotors on his 91,000 mile Ford F-150. Now HE should be committed to an institution, not you. You, sir, are sensible.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am wondering if I should have kept it all original since I am starting to put original type parts back on it,I dont know if I could go back to 6 volts and the T-5 made it much more enjoyable and the disc brakes do help it stop better so I will stop at the generator and foot stomp starter. I was planning on installing them when I pull the motor to check the bottom end but the foot stomp starter might go on much sooner and I hope I kept the original ignition switch,I do want to go back to cloth a covered wiring harness but that will have to be for a later update.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

my grandpa' old chevy truck had a floor starter & i always loved that..

8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

My '48 Pontiac has the foot stomp pedal (one of the few usable parts on the car. After reading this, I'm going to rig it with a button on the back side of the firewall to run the starter.

Thanks for the inspiration!

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I have been hanging around on the AACA and VCCA websites too long as the restorers are getting too me,I am also planning on going back to a Y block in my 55 Ford convertible too but dont worry as they will never go back to 100 percent original as I will keep some of the upgrades on both vehicles.

10. so im just a little confused, why would you need to loose the alt and the key switch and go back to 6 volt ? preference? i have in a 40 chev p/u a 54' 235, key switch with a start circut(that i dont use just turn it to the on position) 12 volt conversion, and a 3 wire alt, and still use my stomp switch with no issues, ill try to hunt up the ad if you like also i saw the other day for the button for on the car starters to make it actuate via stomp switch :) good luck with what ever you decide

11. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I still rock the foot start and got a weird look and response when the parts guy offered the alt to replace my fried generator because when he asked why didn't want to change I said it wasn't as sexy as the generator

12. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Floor starters are where its at, if your sick in the head than welcome to the looney bin!

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you mounted a printing press to the floor?? !! :eek:

grammar, son, grammar! :D

Ray

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My 56 Ford with my home rebuilt generator. I took off a perfectly good rebuilt Ford alternator from the 66 FE to use my generator. That's a Cal Custom stainless generator cover. To me it's a badge of honor.

For me part of the romance of an old hotrod is the old equipment that we used. I used the original 32 Ford starter button on my sport coupe. It's a foot operated button between the pedals on the floor. I always remember a young kid (23-25) that came up to my car at night as I was leaving. We talked for minute. He jumped 3 feet when I started the car with my feet and my elbows were still on the steering wheel.

I don't want a streetrod. I want an old time hot rod.

15. grammer is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.:D i do:confused:

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Thats like the kick starter on my Harley.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sounds like your truck was done, and you needed more projects. Always good to find things to change on the hotrod.

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm building a 63 Falcon and plan on using the generator. I've got a thing about period-correct. It's something like riding in a time machine, to do it the way it was done before.

I do draw the line on points ignition though. Too much maintenance whether it runs good or not.

20. imperialman67

imperialman67
    from minnesota

I consider myself lucky that my 60 Imperial was a middle year production car , as I am told the later built 60s were switched over to alternators.
    The generator works perfectly ,and is sometimes a conversation piece when the hood is up.
    I also kept the perfectly functioning points distributor because I believe in being prepared.
    When we are invaded by aliens and they make all cars with electronic ignition inoperable with their gamma rays don't say I didn't warn you.....

21. bent metal

bent metal

tfeverfred, you've got an awesome avatar.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its not going back to 6 volt,foot stomp starters were used on the 6 cylinder trucks up to 58 or 59 so all I have to do is swap the starter and make the linkage I have work.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The alternator just does not look right on the 235 that is made to look like a 216 so its got to go,I dont have much extra stuff on the 37 so the generator should do just fine and since its got a small cab it does not get driven very long distances so I should have no worries if it quits working. Alot of my older friends think I am nuts to go back to a generator since they used to tear them up running the piss out of their cars back in the day but the 37 is not a race car and I just plan on cruising it,a alternator just does not look right on this motor and it will get repainted in a closer to original color and the solenoid on the starter is a give away that its not a 216.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  24. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

So why all the trouble, it's still a 235. maybe you can find a inline 6 olds valve cover for it..

25. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Capital letters are the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse or helping your uncle Jack off a horse. :D

26. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:pExcept his starter won't ruin his knee.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does the HAMB have a spelling and grammar Social Group were you guys can bother one another?

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I had a friend over who didn't care for vintage style hot rods... he was looking at my car and asked if I had an alternator in my 57 Ford that was my daily driver? No... I know you put a lot of trip miles in the 57 Country Sedan did you put an alternator in it? No... I know you've been driving 57's for years, have you ever had any problems with the generators? No... He replied with the tact that only a friend could - then why in the hell do you have an alternator in the 33!

[​IMG]

You can't argue when you know they are right... it was changed out and I'm still happy with the generator after all these years

29. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

A sense of humour is a great asset. :D

30. He said ASS et:p