Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ProStr55, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ProStr55

ProStr55

This may sound crazy, but do you think a mechanical fuel pump would have enough grunt to feed a blown big-block Chevy? I was looking at the Holley 170 gph pump but am unsure if it will work or not. I just can't stand the irritating sound of an electric pump.

2. My recommendation.....

Buy a Holley "Black" pump and a set of ear plugs.

Or walk!

3. ProStr55

ProStr55

Does anybody have any experience with the Holley HP150 electric fuel pump? It's supposed to be quieter than most electric pumps. I've heard that the so-called "quiet flow" pumps from Edelbrock aren't that quiet. I know this all sounds ridiculous with a blown big block but I just want to hear the music from the engine and not the irritating drone of a fuel pump. Any input or suggestions?

4. Unless your engine is as quiet as a mouse or not running, you won't hear an electric pump.

5. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

You will hear the pump only if ignition is on and engine not started.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've been running a blue holley to feed my blown big block, for years. I only hear the pump at idle, otherwise it gets lost in the other noise the car makes.

7. 390kid

390kid

i dont think youll hear your pump over a blown motor, but you can build a shroud for it and dynamat it.

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

back in the early 80 ac made a elec. pumpthat was quiet. you would hear it buzz until the bowls filled up then you didnyt hear anything.but ive not been able to find it anymore,so its listen to those loud ass pumps or walk and i dont like to walk.

9. ProStr55

ProStr55

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I used to have a stout 283 but the pump could still be heard and that's why I was bitchin'.
    Squirrel, I'm impressed that a Holley blue can feed your need. I was under the impression that a blown big block can be quite thirsty.

10. There is no such thing as a "quiet" electric fuel pump but I can't imagine that it would be any noisier than a blown big block.

There is a company that makes a very pricey mechanical for small block chevy that may be building a big block pump by now.

Found it they do make one for a big block look for it here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPU-1600/

It is a little pricey but that all part of huffing one.

11. To answer your original question, YES you can run a mechanical fuel pump with a blower motor. The Blower Shop recommends at least 120 GPH for a blown motor and this is easy to get in a mechanical pump.
    I t depends on how big the carbs are, how much boost, how many rpms, but YES you can definitely run a mechanical pump. They make them up to 450GPH!!!
    What is your set up?

12. ProStr55

ProStr55

Yeah, I've seen that one before but read that it's prone to fuel drainback and no self-priming. Some people have used checkvalves to remedy the problem. I think everyone is correct though, I won't be able to hear that damn electric pump once the engine is fired.

13. ProStr55

ProStr55

Hotroddon-I've got nothing too special. It's just a 468 with ported iron square ports and 2.25 valves. It will mostly be a street cruiser with a little drag racing on the side. My only issue is with the carbs. Got some 925 cfm Holley blower carbs and wish I'd gotten smaller ones. May have to really jet them down for my particular setup. Originally got them when I planned to build a blown 540 but that didn't work out.

14. ProStr55

ProStr55

Also, got a 1 to 1 drive on a B&M Megablower. Think it will be running about 8 to 9 psi.

15. that set up will work fine with a mechanical pump. Holley and Edelbrock both make mechanical pumps that will put out 130 GPH without spending a fortune, and Carter makes some at 180 GPH that would wrok fine as well.

16. squirrel

squirrel

You don't want to jet them down, that would make it run lean. Try it and see if they work, if not get some smaller carbs, around 750 should work good

17. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I agree,your engine will drown out the fuel pump.

18. ProStr55

ProStr55

Well, since it looks as if a mechanical will work as well as an electric that I'll never hear anyway, what do you guys think would be the best thing to do? Is electric more reliable than mechanical? I'm gonna have to buy one or the other because my Holley red isn't enough anyway.

19. If it were me, I would eliminate any doubt and go with a Holley "Black".

The last thing you want is a used fuel pump at your swap meet spot.

But then..... That's me! I don't like doin' things twice, it costs too much!

20. ProStr55

ProStr55

AMEN! I'm with ya'. I absolutely hate doing things twice as well and don't want to make many mistakes----especially with a freakin' fuel pump.

21. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Take a look at the pump that RacePumps sells. Google Racepumps.com

22. squirrel

squirrel

The problem with a mechanical pump is that it has to be on the engine, while the tank is in back...so it has to "suck" the fuel a long ways.

The best way to go is to put a sump in the tank and put an electric pump below and behind the sump. But you can probably get away with doing it differently...my tank has a tube inside the bottom going near the back, to the bottom front of the tank where it feeds thru. Then braided line from there up and forward, and down the the frame rail where the filter and pump are mounted. then 1/2" hard line to the front of the car (outside the frame rail), and then braided to the regulators and the carbs.

But I do get some loading up on hot restarts, for about the first 1/4 mile I drive, when it's hot out.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

They make big in tank electric pumps.