Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

OK Andy....where are the pics???? Let's see this bad boy!!! We havent posted lately cause we have been working on other peoples cars and not ours. That and the kids are still out of school and want to go do something every weekend!!

2. No pictures Rob . I am deep into it and am having a holy shit moment . I have a big gaping hole in the side of the car and am feeling pretty sick at the moment . I have sliced the whole side and 6 inches of the roof all the way back to the b pillar . I think that I have to slice the roof diagonally to get rid of a hump in the roof . This just keeps getting better and better . Fuck!!! Andy..

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ya but think how great you are gonna feel when you get it exactly how you want it ! Keep at it!!

4. robleticia

robleticia

You got this Andy, stay with it!!!!

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a long haul, brother. Keep on truckin'!

6. I know you guys are all , right in your comments . I just gotta blow off some steam from time to time . I have the pass side about 1/2 done and it seems like its going to work this time . I am keeping an eye on the lines more frequently and adjusting as I go along. No pictures til tomorrow night though , sorry guys!!! Andy..

7. Just a quick update . Some pics . I like the profile better for sure . A lot of work though . I removed 1 more inch on the chop . Not the windshield though .

8. That looks great Andy! You got balls! Looking at your energy make want a sedan that I can cut and weld back together!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

9. Griznant

Griznant

Just remember: If it were easy, everyone would do it!

10. Have at it man . It certainaly lets you know in a hurry weather you are up to a challenge or fold like a house of cards . I can see where some people less stubborn than me would throw in the towel and either sell the thing or all of a sudden decide that all along they wanted a convertable or roadster .Yeah right buddy . LOL !!! Andy..

This be true . Maybe their smarter than to tackle a project like this . Who knows ??? Andy..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In spades, brother, in spades.

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Hahaha I have to ask myself this once in awhile! It looks really good Andy its well worth the extra work ! The profile is perfect IMHO !!:D

13. Thanks Steve . My last two days of my holidays I will try and get some work done on the Buick . Maybe have some better side profile shots of the car Friday or Saturday .What did you think of the Nats last weekend ? I swear if I never see another Chevelle or Beaumont again it will be to soon . Corvettes were well represented as well . What do you think ? I was up on Saturday and did 3 hours but that was all I could handle of the heat . I saw your Poncho in the bowl area but nobody around the car . Thats 2 years and still no meeting LOL !! I saw your buddies 60 style Roth inspired creation as well . Those types of cars were never my cup of tea but that said I can appreciate all the work that goes into one of those creations ... Andy...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. A few more pics of the rechop progress . There is 8 hours on this section alone believe it or not . Very slow and arduous to say the least . Just have to plug away at it and it will get done . Had to reshape the door opening but no pics of that . Had to make a 6.5 inch piece that filled the elongated window opening . There is a swage line in that piece as well that I needed to form into it . Maybe you an see it ??? I am using 3/16 CRS to preform the window openings . I dont think I took any pics of that either . Have a look . Andy

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  15. I hate you are having to redo your work but the chop is sure looking better. Hang in there. It'll be worth the effort.

16. Thanks Hi volt Its quite a quiltwork of metal isn't it LOL!!! ?

17. Got some more done today , and Sunday before work . Seems like a full day of work already doing this stuff . Lots to think about . Off to my rael job so I can relax, LOL !! I am liking the profile and the larger rear side window a lot better . I am not going to slant the B pillars but maybe will round the door tops . Thats not so labor intensive and still gives the illusion of slanted B pillars .Thats for later . I think my biggest mistake previously was the fact I was trying to keep the stock 51 Buick beltline trim and it was not going to work with the 51 Chevrolet Coupe rear glass as it is 20 % narrower than the Buick . So had to let that idea go and we'll see what I come up with for trim in the future. Andy...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  18. robertsregal

robertsregal

Lookin Good, it will be a sweet ride!!

19. Thanks Robert ,You getting anything done on the Buick ?? I havent seen any posts since March ??

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

Looking real good Andy! Man you are knocking it out quickly, way to go! No updates on my project, been working on an actual paying job in my shop so the Belv is sitting quitely waiting its turn. Cant wait to see more updates on this!

21. Thanks Doug. I have to get it back together ASAP so I wont feel that I am behind the eight ball for two long . I dont usually have to much time available in the summer months for the cars . I see that from the lack of new posts from most of my followed threads that the summer is for things other than the 4 wheeled kind in others world as well . More updates will come in a few days . I will get this side together and then roll it outside to have a look at it in daylight .That always seems to put a new perspective on things :) . Later , Andy...

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I think the non-slanted door pillars look better anyway. Slow careful progress is the key to complex chops like this, so you're doing good.

23. Thanks for your positive comments . Your right slow and methodical steps are key for sure .

24. Some more progress . Slow but sure coming back together . Andy...

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

You are gonna be the best sheetmetal welder in NB by the time this car is done :D Its great to see the new shape cometogether ! I like using steel rod for making things too, it certainly has its uses .

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress!
    Did you pass the idea about slanting the B-pilars?

27. Its not likely going to happen . I have enough going on with this rechop . I like the non slanted look that Racerdad photoshoped for me a couple pages back . I may round the door tops though . That will give the illusion of slanted B pillars somewhat . With the rear sideglass elongated now the flow of the roofline is much better now . Hopefully I will get some time on the car tomorrow . Andy...

28. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

bad ass looks like alot of work but it will be worth it.

29. I sure hope so . Tomorrows another day . Maybe I will get some done !! Went and picked up some more flat bar for the other side that I use to tie things together . Andy...

30. Cleaned the shop today . No work was done on the Buick but a buddy showed up with his 56 Ford . Its a Kansas car so it has minimal rust . I painted it 4 years ago and we will be shooting it again next year as there are a few spots that need attention . Getting to the profile of the Buick now , thats a lot better wouldn't you say ? The elongated window looks good . I am pleased so far with the rechop . I am glad I cut another inch out of the profile . Andy.. PS the first picture is what I had to start from again last week only it was on the passenger side . Now you know why I was having a shitfest .

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012