Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Three mechanical beauties from the WWII era, flown by real heroes:
    [​IMG]

2. 1937 Bolling Field (DC area). This plane - possibly one of the prototypes for B17s?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Caption said "June 1942". Unknown location, possibly a Navy SeaBee?
    [​IMG]

4. 1944 Coleman lantern ad:

[​IMG]

5. 1941 Genesee Idaho
    [​IMG]

6. 1951 Broad St, New Orleans
    [​IMG]

7. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Vic Potamkin Chevrolet was located on south Broad st in Philadelphia. Potamkin, Marv Pollow, and Girard Chevrolet were the top Chevy dealers in Philly back in '59. My Dad bought his new '59 Parkwood wagon from Girard.

8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I don't think that is a SeaBee - looks like a farm kid with a sailor hat sitting on a IH FARMALL F-20 or F-30 (I can't tell for sure, but it is one or the other)

9. RatsAss32

RatsAss32
    from SE Mich

Wan't going 88mph! Great Scott!!

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I agree with everyone who has commented about how great this thread is, and about learning more about our history. Like Wally Parks said when they were setting up the NHRA Museum, "We can't know where we're going if we don't know where we've been."

11. RatsAss32

RatsAss32
    from SE Mich

You cant even see where the Titanic hit it!

12. John F

John F

You mean like people smoking in some of the pictures! Back then, every family had at least one smoker and table lighters and ash trays for any visitor!

13. John F

John F

My dad was a flight engineer / top turrent gunner in a B-24. Shot down over Yugoslavia and rescued by the partisans. Never wanted to talk about it, though. Now that I have some years, and a "conflict" behind me, I can understand why.

14. LeTourneau?

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Nope, not hardly!"----Just a farm boy!

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

KDNT, Dallas News Talk

17. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

18. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

19. swi66

swi66

20. swi66

swi66

21. swi66

swi66

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

25. Post #49744.
    That top photo is the reason why we still play with these things even in our old age.....

26. swi66

swi66

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right, guys. History is about reality -- the pleasant AND the unpleasant. This is the HAMB, mostly populated by men and women who have dealt with life's hard edge. Additionally, TONS of people have praised Dog's thread, citing gritty photos from bad times such as the Great Depression and the awful "Dust Bowl" years.

We've had TONS of cars and truck pix, many spawning great discussion, from which many folk have said they LEARNED valuable insights about U.S. and world history, and in terms that made it all very personal -- almost as though the viewer was THERE. Isn't that cool?

Those who think the catastrophic and unnecessary wreck of the airsip Shenandoah, French orphans after WWI, floods, fires, wars, child labor, smoking -- on and on and on -- spoils their morning coffee ... well, I say just what Mazooma said two years ago: If you don't like what you see, take that mouse (just like the TV controller), scan past the "offending post." You'll soon find something that pleases your tastes. Trying t tell others what they can see is about the same as rewriting history. I say, tell it (documented by photos) as it was.

Unlike TV, the HAMB is not bound, in any sense, to please the masses. So, if you're not a vintage 'rod/custom/car/truck person in the first place, you're almost certain to see something on the HAMB and this thread that displeases you or offends your sensibilities. Heck, this thread is pretty civil compared to the "sand-boxes" on the 'net where irresponsible people shoot off their mouths off because they had a bad day at work. Do that on the HAMB, you may find youself banned.

Ry & Kevin, I don't mean to speak for you nor set policy. Many folks have complimented you for allowing Dog's thread to develop, so long as it complimented the stated theme of the HAMB. The amazing numbers show that MANY folk -- not even involved in motor sports and hobbies -- dig the history, as it's (to my knowledge) not shown and discussed on any other forum.

Thanks. Orange crate put away. :p

Petriu8 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.