Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valuation of Stock '32 Ford V8 5W

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grtmkr, Jul 18, 2012.

1. grtmkr

grtmkr
    from San Jose

I've had a helluva time trying to figure out the value of the stock V8 I got from my Dad years ago when he stopped driving. I don't seem stock cars come up on auction often and when they do, they are falling apart. This one runs like a top and the only thing changed on it is the carb and the coil. I've tried classic car valuation sites but they don't go back to 32. Have any of you seen one or more like this sell to get an idea of market price?

Attached Files:

• Ford.jpg
      Ford.jpg
      File size:
      115.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Probably about ten thousand........drop me a line, I'll buy it from you?

3. Dave B.

Dave B.

A good place to start would be the Antique Automobile Club of America website:
    http://forums.aaca.org/forum.php

Get yourself registered, then go to the Buy/Sell section and do a search for 1932 Fords. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I'm closer, I'll give you $12,000.

5. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I'll give ya 13k and buy ya a beer pm me

6. Tommy R

Tommy R

Wow... If that's an unmolested '32 in as good of shape as it appears, it could be worth a small (or not so small) fortune. I see basket case examples *asking* for $10-20k, but that being said, I don't know what they actually sell for. I wouldn't be surprised to see a car like that asking anywhere from $30-40k. But take my comments with a HUGE grain of salt as I'm no Deuce expert by any stretch of the imagination.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Humina humina humina... SOLD to an American!!! :D

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I SOLD this 32 5W coupe for 25 grand ... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just like you see it. No fenders, running boards, frame horn covers ECT.

No interior but it had the dash and garnish moldings.

Do not let any one FOOL YOU ...
    Yours is worth @ least 10 grand more than the one I sold. :D

I sold the one above ( in 4 days ) and had folks waiting to buy it long after it was gone. !!

9. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Get out the sawzall and start a cuttin' !!! Only kidding, looks too nice Hot Rod I guess ??
    Good luck with it what ever you do.

10. grtmkr

grtmkr
    from San Jose

I only saw one that was a roadster for $59K asking. Not sure of its condition but at least it is a stake in the ground price wise. Thanks!

11. Fogger

Fogger

Don't let any scammers take advantage of you. It's and old story of a family trying to value an old treasure only to be screwed by a fast talking expert. If your intent is to sell your 5W follow the above suggestion and research for the actual value. Good bodies in California are selling for at least 20K,complete unmolested cars are in the 40K and up range. By the description of your car I would think some where in the range of 45 to 50K would be expected. There's a '32 5W on the auction site for 29K that's a real beater. Don't make a hasty decision selling your dad's car, it's worth some big bucks.

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

A few years ago It would prolly fetch around $70K however the market seems to be down on 32 fords from what it was a few years ago. Right now I would say if the car is as nice as it looks in the pic, it would sell for around 45-50K......Sounds like you are looking for a value to sell it, So best thing to do is put it on e-pay and let the market decide what it is worth. The nice one that was on there a couple of months ago got bid up to 39K and did not meet reserve.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

If you are looking to sell, I'd certainly ask for more than 50k. You can be talked down but rarely up.

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ill trade you my whole year newer model 33 for it!!

15. $$$$ best offer advertised in Hemmings over a couple of months

or at auction in the spring ...

cash

no trades or" hold it until funds arrive "

i'd say just keep it put away, stored correctly where you can keep an eye on it is the best way

now value for insurance is something else ... hard to justify the premium to insure the car thats 5 times the value of the rickiety old garage

pictures are easy to store and memories will only get better

a deteriorating 32 is a sad thing to find five-ten years from now

16. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you must sell, auction it at Barris Jackson or Amelia Island or Pebble Beach. Serious money is still out there for top cars, which you seem to have. Very very few in your condition.

17. Remember once you sell the car your dad gave you that you can probably never get it back. Think long and hard. I wish I had my dad's car. My suggestion would be to set your mind on not selling it for a year while you research prices. Don't let someone you ask for an opinion of its value buy it without research. My guess would be that your car is worth about $60K to $90K but it is really necessary to see the car in person. Is it a low mileage car or a 1970's restoration? Was the restoration done correctly? You should also visit the early Ford section of fordbarn.com and the Early Ford V8 Club web site, earlyfordv8.org. It might be good to get the opinion of its value from someone in a local chapter of the Early Ford V8 Club (PM me if you need a contact). Remember when you talk to these people it is not for sale for a year, you are just researching the value. To put things in perspective my late friends wife ignored me and sold his 3 Window and a garage full of parts for $15K of which she has only received $4K so far with a promise for the rest.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  18. grtmkr

grtmkr
    from San Jose

Thanks for all the great input. I was looking at value for insurance purchases. I'll keep the car as is til they put me in the ground. :)

19. cayager

cayager

wow id never get rid of that! that thing is worth a fortune.i blame my grandfather for not buying a pile of those. try hemmings also you might see a couple in there

20. grtmkr

grtmkr
    from San Jose

Thanks Charlie. I'm a member of EFV8CA. I've asked on their board but most of those guys don't follow market value since they never really look to sell. Just curious what I should get for insurance purposes. Sounds like $50-70K is sort of consensus. Note the car was never "restored" and I'll never restore it. It had a very few upgrades over the years (carb, distributor) and I've replaced the wiring harness but that's about it. Even the rubber floor mats are original.

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If that was mine to sell I'd have a hard time asking less than 60-70k for it if it's as nice as it looks.

22. cayager

cayager

the car is like a time machine. be ashame to get rid of it. id insure it for 100k.

23. F&J

F&J

How could you find the true value on a 32 like that? Not in any price guide. Nice to hear that you will keep the car.

24. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

You can hire a third party appraiser.

25. 1949*john

1949*john

just put a dollar sign in front of your ss number .

26. I would like to see what some of the guys on the EFV8 Club forum say. What screen name do you use over there?

Charlie Stephens

27. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Take Charlies advise. We sold ours last fall for well north of $50,000 to the first guy that looked at it and I still think we asked too little.
    Never even advertised it.
    Just couldn`t cut it up and didn`t want a stock one but if it had been my dads car I would stll own it.

Attached Files:

28. grtmkr

grtmkr
    from San Jose

Very nice!