Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox ford: what are my drop-in options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

got a line on a shoebox missing it's engine and trans.... as far as level of difficulty, what is the fastest/easiest drop-in engine combo for it? i'm talking do-it-over-a-weekend time frame. i'd LOVE to put a flattie back in it, but time is of the essence.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

if my best bet is a SBC/th350 for convenience, so be it... i want to keep the frame and suspension more or less stock. i haven't tried to find a running 8ba or 8cm flathead locally yet.... something tells me that ain't gonna be a piece of cake.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No question that of all the swaps a sbc with th350 is going to be the least hassle going in there. Sbf is the second choice IMO, as far as ease of making stuff work and fit.

By nature I am a Ford guy at heart, but also know that the sbc has so much going for it swap wise and cost wise. They also made about a bazillion of them over the years so you should have no trouble finding a donor.

Weekend swap is another thing altogether. They do it on Car Warriors, but I have never been that good or lucky. Something always gets in the way, and you will need a driveshaft made, radiator modified, etc and those guys don't work weekends.

Don

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

A 302 was pretty easy to put in mine when I had it. Mine had an AOD behind it which caused problems with the floor, but from what I remember a 302 and a c-4 may fit really well? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here about shoeboxes and engine options.

5. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

Gaak, Early caddy, nailhead? Sorry couldn't help myself,
    whatever...but easy ain't always better

6. subdajj

subdajj

The easyest and fastest is a flathead. The other mentioned swaps will require more work, 6 volt to 12 volt conversion, motor mounts, trans mounts, wiring and the list goes on.

What you chose will depend on your skill level and cost.

7. 62rebel

62rebel

well; i have a guy seeing about a flathead for me...
    i'm surprised at how little response this question got.

if the flathead doesn't work out, i'm probably going to find a SBF and FMX for motivation.... i don't intend to build a drag car, just want it to be dead nuts reliable as a daily driver. i figure i'd have to use a rear sump oil pan to make it fit the car... but i can backdate a SBF to look like 1963 all over again pretty cheaply.

still have to work the rest of the deal somehow... never thought i'd see another shoebox still stock.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My '51 had a 302/C4 in it when I got it. It's now in my '50 With the same frame....etc. Came out and went back in easy as pie but whomever put it in 1st had to make some mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I was a kid the folks had a 52 Vicki with a 312 Y block in it that looked like it came in it.
    But the trouble with any early engine is that you will most likely have to spend a bunch of money to get a good one or spend a bunch of money to rebuild one you buy. That isn't a bad deal when it's planned into the build but for a stick it together and get it on the road thing I'd stick to a small block something that was known to be in good shape and running when I put it in.

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

I owned a '50 Ford coupe with a 1980s 302 and 3-speed from a truck. It was all hooked up to the original shift linkage and clutch linkage. All they had to do was weld in a couple mounts and block off two inlets on the original radiator! (And it cooled just fine with the original radiator - it was set up as a cross-flow with one upper inlet functioning and the opposite side bottom outlet functioning. They even hooked it up to the original exhaust. I can't imagine an easier swap than that.

LSGUN likes this.
  12. with a sbc you have pan clearance issues, sbf had front sump and fits better in one. front dizzy on sbf is nice.

13. Early rocket or cadillac if one can be found drop in real nicely. The SBC is real easy but if one can be found running the caddy or the olds goes in just as easily.

14. However long you have planned for the swap, quadruple it....Murphy's Law.

15. Flathead or 302.

16. aaggie

aaggie

Don't rule out the Ford six cylinder, they made the same power as the V8 and also bolt right in. Just sayin....

17. yea and they sound kind of neat. I normally don't like the sound if a six, just funny that way, but the flathead six has a real distinctive sound.

The only engine that is going to be a "drop-in" is going to be the same type of engine that came out of it. everything else is going to require soem fabrication and it is probably going to take a little longer than a weekend unless you are real good at engine swaps and are willing to work extremely long hours.

18. 62rebel

62rebel

now we're talking. i'm leaning definitely toward SBF cuz i'm built that way... i wasn't sure a front sump pan would work, but you're saying they do, and i imagine fabbing up some mounts won't be exactly rocket surgery.

now, i gotta get busy working the deal....

19. Fenders

Fenders

You want fastest easiest drop in? Always the original....
    What subdajj said.

There are plenty of others that you can put in with a little time and work.
    I dropped a Chev V8 with its auto trans in a 51 merc, took a couple days....

20. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

You need to use a bronco pan set up. Just put a 289 in my 49. Hooked it up to the original 3sp w/ OD. Works great

21. I got a 302 with a C4 tranny, granada rear end, and 55 chevy radiator in mind. Made our own motor mounts, and used a bronco oil pan for clearance of the tie rod. Pretty straight forward and with a hell of a lot of gumption, can be done over a weekend.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My shoe has a 302/c4 sitting in it right now - was a pretty darn easy swap . You need a Bronco/rear sump setup for it . That's about the only "must-do" thing with it . I'm running a Jamco mount setup on it , BTW .

On my friend's shoe , we dropped in a 351W/c4 setup . That was a bit more trouble . The 351 has a deeper sump on it , so we had to notch the crossmember , and a couple other little things , but still pretty darn simple . He's running a Butch's Cool Stuff/Opie's mounts setup .

Of the 2 , I prefer my Jamco setup , but both worked out very nicely .

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Fox body mustang pans are rear sump and cheap.

24. Lono

Lono

I have to ask, Is your oil pan front or rear sump?

25. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Dropping a 351w c4 in my 49. Might have some issues with the firewall/floor. Dont have the trans yet to check. I bought the engine mounts off posies on ebay. Same as Butch's.
    Also using the 4x4 oil pan. You can use the mustang pan I think its a tighter fit but will work.

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would either use a 302 w/C4 or a 351w w/C4 . If I had to do some floor repairs then I would go with a AOD trans for the overdrive .
    I have a 50 and mine will be getting a 1970 , 429 very well warmed over ! it is going to have a close ratio 4 speed toploader and 4.88 rear . It will also be getting a straight axel under the front end as well . I am building a gasser with mine . Always wanted one since I saw one back in the 1960's .
    Really the 302/5.0 with a c4 will be the easiest to do and they are all over the place thanks to the Mustangs ! you can get anything for that engine that you can think of as well .
    Just my opinion !

Retro Jim

27. shoebox50

shoebox50

My 50 with a 350 installed.

Attached Files:

28. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

early nova pan and pick up for a SBC do have to work the tranny tunnel some:D

29. 62rebel

62rebel

i talked to the seller and he hadn't seen a usable flathead yet, so i asked if he could get me a SBF and a C4 instead. he says they're plentiful where he's at, so he's getting me one in trade for my Falcon. i'd really like to put a flattie back in but finding one WITH a Fordomatic would be a stretch. i'll be happy backdating a 302 to '60's 289 appearance. this way i can keep my column shifter and not have to swap in manual trans stuff...

one of the PO's installed a power brake booster setup that looks very much like one off a Volvo or MG... odd looking shite. it's in the scrap pile now. they had removed the underfloor MC and pedal.... weird. i'm leaning toward installing a Falcon pedal hanger and putting the MC in the engine compartment.

anybody who has some spare '51 dash stuff like a heater control head and a radio with knobs (don't need a working radio, just for looks) please PM me for trades. i got a load of roundbody Falcon stuff.

30. ALLISON

ALLISON

Mine had a 302 in it at one time, looks like it was a pretty easy install... Im thinking about putting a Pontiac in it now though which would be a pain in the ass but awesome in the end.
    [​IMG]