Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9" vent questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Does it matter where the vent is on a Ford 9" rear? Mine ('62 Galaxie rear, I think) has a stock vent on the passenger side, but also has a hole (about 5/16) on the driver's side, a little closer to the pumpkin. I think it's tapped. The passenger side needs to be moved, or dramatically shortened/90* bend (spring pad now sits over top it!). Jegs has short sintered bronze vents or Currie stock-style vents (1/8), and Speedway has 7/16 vents, none of which seem to match the holes in my axle.

2. I prefer them closer to the pumpkin to minimize chances of leaking, but I don't think it matters.

3. Mine is on the left (driver's) side tube. I use the "sintered bronze" style as you mentioned but got mine at Summit Racing.

B.T.W.: Never had a leak even at 120 mph.

4. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Any where on the top of an axle tube is ok. On top of the banjo housing is not a good idea because the ring gear can throw oil up into the vent.

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Are 2 vents better than 1? Like I said, I have 2 vent holes already, although I suppose one was for the brake junction mount originally, and some use a combo vent bolt

6. It's not needed but I can't see where it's going to hurt anything.