Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help me find the Red Devil Ford - 1915-1917 Racecar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Peppered Rat, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Looking for my great-grandfather's racecar - or one of them. He had at least 2 cars that were raced between 1915 and 1917 in the Midwest. His name was Floyd Willard and his cars were called "The Red Devil Ford" and "The Prince Henry Ford". Any assistance in finding these cars or directing me to other sources that may be of help in locating these cars would be greatly appreciated!!! I have attached some pictures for reference. I would like to return at least one of these cars to its original majesty. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. davesvintage

davesvintage

Interesting that the car used the same name as Henry's ''999''. Maybe check some history of local tracks. Best of luck!

3. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Best Regards

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

5. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Thanks for the tip - I posted on that threat and hoping for some hits. The model T belonged to grandma - that's her in the picture in Texas - I think El Paso - I'm guessing early 1930s?

6. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Good luck with your search. Too bad that so many of those cars were scrapped. I hope that yours fared better.
    Tom

7. davesvintage

davesvintage

It's not that they were scrapped, but they were recycled in parts or whole. Googling this car, I see it was very successful and therefore the drive to continue would be new and improved. Sadly that is still the case today. Even ''999'' is a combination of parts of which '' who knows how much is real? ''. A tribute car could be built, but I think that posting these pictures and history is exciting to those who honour the past. To have this history in your family is the best of both worlds and the more you learn, the better! Best of luck in your search but suffice to say that you have enlightened me and many others on this board. Those were exciting times and your grandparants sound like very interesting people! Remember them with pride!

8. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Thanks for your kind and inspiring words! Pop Willard was an amazing man with many talents - from race car driving to plastering and brick laying, to horticulture. I always admired my great grandmother as well - for having the audacity to marry a race car driver she met while waitressing in a restaurant frequented by these drivers in Indiana...What a wonderful world!