Register now to get rid of these ads!

Severe Bondo Abuse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Looking good.
    You're really making me want to start in on the body work on mine.

2. That's what make them soooo cool...and the seemless teeth :cool:

The only way I'll ever have one is if a tree falls on my '59 Imperial before I sell the car...:eek:

Looks great Nads

P.S. I'd love to see the pedal on the coupe also:)

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Buddha Buggy, I'm so happy this car still exists, the 59 Imperial grille is actually a few inches narrower than the Chevy opening, so Bill Hines made those lovely scoops at the end.

Attached Files:

4. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nads,
    Your El Camino is coming along nicely. I really like the grille treatment....Mike

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Painted my steering wheel and column, looks good, gonna install tonight.
    [​IMG]

It's hard to see the blue pearl in the photos but it really pops in real life.

[​IMG]

Made a little turn signal knob too.

[​IMG]

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's the pink metalflake part of the steering wheel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

8. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

9. *whistles* nicccceeeee!

10. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Wow, i always loved two toned steering wheels , and this one looks awesome nads.

11. indianhead74

indianhead74

I was a true bondo-artist in '72 when I repaired the quarter on my 62 nova. I had Petersons book on auto-body as my guide. My tools consisted of a claw hammer and a flat rock for a dolly. Did'nt know what I was doing then and not quite sure I know now. It turned out acceptable for the times. I did learn one valuable lesson, It's called body-work, not body-fun. Indy

12. Right on, Nads! McLovin' that flaked & pearled wheel & column

13. slammed

slammed

14. Fenders done from previous owner .. Gallons of bondo

Attached Files:

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Slammed, that British body filler Plastic Padding was the absolute worst, it was supposed to be flexible, it was incredibly hard to sand, paper would just gum up. Those are some fine examples of Bondo slinging in that rad video.

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Wild man.... It's been months since I checked this out. Lots of thought and hard wok for sure!

Your kid will be big enough to drive it by the time you finish it!

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Nads, the Elky is coming out awesome. I love the paint detail. I must say, though, I'm always checking out the background to snag details of your palace/home/mansion. So cool, man.

18. slammed

slammed

Is there overspray in the air? Soft candy metallic?

19. burt21

burt21

Is'nt it amazing what some people will do. Had some strange stuff in my plymouth coupe when I tore into it.Wire,popsickle sticks,bondo,copper,and some paper.

20. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Guilty as well... Luxury homes always catch my eye

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Well the day she goes to the paint booth is upon us. My pal Skip's hauled her up to Auburndale where she will get squirted with paint, wish me luck, it's gonna be hot today.

Attached Files:

22. DrJ

DrJ

Good luck, and put some air in the tires! ;)

23. sumner41

sumner41

bondo over stuffed newspaper was an old used car lot trick. I knew of one that picked up rust buckets in ny and did this. put on a new enamel paint job. looked great from a distance. about 3 weeks later bondo was falling out. I worked in the auto body business years back. saw lots of body filler abuse. Once worked on a car that should have had quarter panel replaced, but they welded BOLTS to panel. Must have been 60 bolts that were 4-5 inches long. they then applied about 7 inches of bondo. bolts were meant to hold the weight of all that filler. And the real stupidity was for all the time spent hacking,they would have spent less time replacing the panel. What appears to be the cheap easy way often is not. I was taught old school,repair and limited use of filler,perferably none. Also the people who trained me stated " I am lazy,I do job ONCE CORRECTLY and will NEVER have to do job over. Unfortuneately this is lost on dealerships,who try to profit from warranty work. So they hire and train HACKERS.

24. I used to build nothing but 59 Chevys...that is were you will learn the art of metal replacement because I think they were all rusty when they were new!
    Looking sharp!

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The worst, I think the 60s were better even, the 59 Elkys are the rust bucketest of them all.

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Stupid OG Raders, leakiest wheel ever. didja ever figure out your bows?

27. Congrats on getting it to this point Nads! I got a line on a 60 but too much going on right now!

28. DrJ

DrJ

Raders are and always were "Walmart wheels" get some Supremes!

I'm not anywhere close to doing the bows. I just wanted to get the info in my files before you put your's into the headliner and couldn't trace them for me.
    I really appreciate that and have the patterns safe (on the dash board) for when I need them. I think I can do it from your info, thanks.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Can't wait to see it painted Nads!

Good Luck my friend!
    Glenn

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

great success, the crushed glass from Sherwin Williams really makes the paint pop, I only got to take the cowl vent out in the dimming evening sun to see it. My phone died I couldn't get any pictures. I'll be picking her up on Tuesday or Wednesday, gonna get some pics up. Oh yeah, I gotta couple of runs in the clear, no big deal, they'll sand out.