Register now to get rid of these ads!

320 auburn project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 320 Auburn, Jan 31, 2012.

1. 320 Auburn

320 Auburn
    from NE Ohio

The linkage is really cool on the choke Idle screw rides on a nice cam that cracks the throttle plates until engine is warm

It is a neat little Holley

Let me know your thoughts

Dave

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Dave! Good to see you making progress on the speedster!

That fkn heart attack slowed me down for a while, but I'm doin' much better now. I'll have your 320s and dual intake/exhaust ready to ship in a couple of days.

Proud that some of my old parts will be included in your build. :) Rick

3. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

I think it's great that you are working on a project such as the Auburn. You end up learning all sorts of skills, and end up with an outstanding automobile. I built an Elegant Motors Auburn back in the early 80's. Put a Mercury straight six (250 cu. in.) and C4 in it. I had the same thoughts that you did, the car needs an inline engine. Not sure if your body is anything like the Elegant body, but the problems I ran into were: There was too much space over the front wheels, between the tire and the fender. The easiest way I could think of to correct that was to lower (tilt down) the front clip. Almost undetectable. A professional Auburn kit builder told me they channeled the front of the body down over the frame about an inch to accomplish the same result. I got to view an Auburn with many miles on it. The glass had cracked where the radiator support rods went thru the firewall. I added extra glass there and the headlights would eventually crack the glass where they were mounted. Same fix.
    I like your cowl vents. A needed accessory. Probably one of the most costly items will be chroming. Lots of parts to "dip", but you know that. Best of luck to you and your project.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Glad to see progress on your Speedster, these are overlooked as Hot Rods. Great project, it's outside the lines just enough!

Brian

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Auburns have always been my favorite car. Yours will be fantastic.

6. Heo2

Heo2

What i would do carbwise on that engine
    would be 4 SU H6 or HIF6 sidedraft carbs
    Simple reliable easy to tune (Screwdriver
    to rise or lower the jet)

7. 320 Auburn

320 Auburn
    from NE Ohio

It is a neat project

BUT it will take some time!!

I am sure the effort and elbow grease will be worth it

Just a bit off topic I have a different taste of cars than most

Here is another project of mine http://www.fordpinto.com/your-pintos/turbo-pinto-running!!!!!/

Let me know your thoughts

I know this is a bit too new for this board, but it has its place!

The auburn is style and cool in any time period!

Thanks again guys

I look forward to your comments

Dave

8. Normbc9

Normbc9

This would be a good choice of a power plant to replace the Auburn engine. Good luck. I see straight eight Buick performasnce parts too. I've seen dual and triple down draft intakes, highly modified HEI's and also some really tricked up high lift rockers arms. It is very doable. When fully balanced those engines run smoothly at all ranges but don't try to make a high RPM engine out of one of these. They are a high torque producer too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

9. 320 Auburn

320 Auburn
    from NE Ohio

i am looking for a head turner and a good conversation car/driver!

these are smooth runners

Dave