Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Had this one a few years sold it and bought it back after 22 years still wearing my very first paint job 1973!

Attached Files:

2. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

If I sell the 56 in my avatar my daughter will disown me. She has lusted after this truck since she was 16.

3. baremetal48

baremetal48

This was my fathers, he sold it to a dude in Gettysburg in 2004 and it turned out the car ended up in Texas with only 100 miles put on the odometer in 7 yrs. After a year of us both trying to sell our current hot rods we where able to buy it back and i promise that it will never be sold again!!

Attached Files:

4. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Not for sale.

Attached Files:

5. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Sure my Dad's 1969 Dodge Super Bee. He bought it from the original owner in 1971 when he was 17, it's the car he drove when he was dating my Mom and he's spent lord knows how much over the years restoring and modifying it. It currently has a 440 with 3X2 brl carbs and 4 speed. When it was dynoed about 10 years ago he was hitting around 550 hp and about the same in torque [​IMG]

6. The FIRST Street Rod I built....my 1934 Chevy Sedan...

[​IMG]

My wife loved this car and then my '41 Ford Pickup......
    [​IMG]

Which I built with a cancer awareness theme to honor my wife's memory. In my mind, both vehicles are untouchables.

7. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Not a car but my dads Harley lost him when I was 18 so I'll eat out of the garbage before I sell this

Attached Files:

8. 68vette

68vette

I have had my 68 Corvette 40 years now....have had lots of offers for it as it is a L79, 4 speed close ratio, pw, pb, and rare rare....factory air...and all matching numbers.

9. firemangordy

firemangordy

Bought it from the original owner in 1979. My wife and I went on our honeymoon in it in 1980. Brought our daughter home from the hospital when she was born in 1983. Drove it to work my first day on the fire dept. and on my last day.

Attached Files:

10. I had a car that "coudn't be bought", until someone bought it.

For a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY :D

11. Always put my family first and that's why I didn't get/build my model A 'till I was 67 years old. When I was a kid my brother and I would stay, part of the summer, with our grand parents and their only car was a model A. I wanted one ever since, and when I can no longer cruise in it my son, who helped finish it, will own it. NOT FOR SALE! Haven't figured out how to post here yet, so my avatar will hafta do.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Since the meaning of this thread and understanding details seem to get lost by the looks of the last couple of posts, just want to renew it's purpose.

There may come a time when family needs would force an unwanted sale or a crazy price might be offered that no one could resist.

Many stories were shared about families maintaining the same car through generations in honor of a loved one.

Others grew up dreaming of the day they would be old enough to have that first hot rod, got it, and kept it forevermore.

And some went through many rods and customs honing their skills till they found the one they would finally call their masterpiece or grand finale.

We heard the last time from those who feel every car has it's price and something bad might happen tomorrow and you'll give up your rod.
    But this thread is for those who are truly passionate about their HAMB friendly car and will keep it if at all possible. Please include pictures of the car that makes you a HAMBER !

13. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

When my DAD passed I got his 1937 chevy two door.He restored it 40 years ago, not fancy but a nice passable job , it held up well. Two years ago, I put it in a local show,I did not sweep out the dirt I did not give it a bath, and I put a note in the window about it just coming out of the barn,which was the truth. Long story short It won 4th out of the top 25. My Dad would have loved to see his work appreciated, and no, there is no price that would remove it from the family

14. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bringing it to the top again for all the new Hambers that keep coming on board and have missed the chance to share their special story.

Please update any posts you might have made before if there's anything new and interesting with your pride and joy.

Mine was plowed into a couple of months at an intersection, but it's back on the road again looking a little different and I'm still in LOVE with it. How bout you?
    [​IMG]

15. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

This Plymouth has been a 5 1/2 year project. I had one like it as my first car. It had been purchased new by my grandfather, then it became our family car, then my car. I tried to find it again, years after selling it, but was unsuccessful. I found this one 5 1/2 years ago, and have been working on it since. Modified a bit with a 355 SBC, TH350, 3.55 Roadrunner rear, lots of bodywork, fresh paint, and a new interior. I don't know if the car is considered "H.A.M.B. material, but I like it, and it's not for sale as long as I'm still kickin'. After I've passed on, my family can do as they please with it, although I'm hoping my grandson might be old enough to take an interest in it by then.:eek:

Attached Files:

16. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

She's looking good Woosh.
    Mine is a 57 Chevy that my dad gave to me a couple years ago. I am fortunate to still have him here working with me to restore the car. Once complete (or now for that matter) there is no amount of money that will buy it.
    And since everyone is so worried about the kids... As long as you have a car, you have shelter and transportation. :D

17. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Good idea Karl. Can't drive a house around.........

18. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bumping back to the top for all the new blood onboard to share their special story of that righteous rod.......

19. My '29 cabriolet is the one I would never sell. It was my first car and was lightly rodded by me when in high school in the early 1960's. Originally it was purchased by my dad in fall 1929, brand new, and was the last new Ford he ever bought. When I got it he insisted the mechanical brakes had to go. ...and he only kept it for himself for two years when the car and the brakes were still new! The car stayed in the family and my uncle brought it back to my dad for me in '58-59.

In high school I put hydraulic brakes on it first, then a dropped axle, Merc wheels, 5.60's & 8.20's a Bell three spoke wheel and more. I sort of learned to do lead and welding on it. I kept the four banger, and had dual 94's on it for a while, but it gave way to a V8 powered '29 A Tudor in 1964. ...but all these years I kept it, even when I had no room to store it except by taking it completely apart.

Last year I began the process of bringing it back to life. I have not done a build thread here on HAMB, but may start one after a little more progress has been made. It is not quite a roller yet as I have been assembling the body at a slow pace with new wood and keeping as much of the original car as possible.

It is going to be much like it was in the '60's. ... but I am doing a nicer job than I did back then, with no pressure to be running by my 16th birthday, just want it done before I turn 70.

Here is a recent pic:
    [​IMG]

20. My 57 Chevy truck was my grandpas then my dad then older bro then dad at last me

21. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

My Dad bought this car in 1976, I inherited it when he died but I'd trade it for one more day with the man.

Attached Files:

22. dubcee

dubcee

Every things for sale at Waynes house! Bring your Wallet, cash sales only!

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My Deuce. My dad would put me in that car when he would work on tractors in the machine shop on the farm. My play pen. I still remember that big Olds sterring wheel and all the gauages

24. SpasticDwarf

SpasticDwarf
    from TN

I have one I would never sell, even if I were offered $1m, and I say that with confidence. But it's not HAMB friendly :p
    Bump for a good thread.

25. busch167

busch167

Have had the delivery for 38 years now, It would be the last to go.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm actually on the fence right now. I wanted my 41 Packard 160 cpe for decades. Got it 4yrs ago and still haven't been able to attack it the way I want to. Now I need 2 garage doors, a roof, and a few other things. I'm pretty confident that I could move along in short order. Every day I walk out my side door and see it in the house garage and tell myself "no". I have the $$$$$ for the house repairs but don't want to spend it, I fell into a couple other deals that I can flip or keep, still have 2 other personal irons in the fire. I find it a massive lie that the economy is bad. I'm too busy to believe otherwise. The family's fine, doing well actually, and all the bills remain current. What to do...

The truth is that I need to stay focused on buisness and keep my lust in check. Do I want it? Fuckin eh. Can I make a benchmark restoration out of it? Fuckin eh. Do I have the time? Not right now. Do I want something else more? I don't know. All of this answers the question in the topic. Family heirlooms are 1 thing, but even 1 of 2 known is still just a car. Yeah, I know of only 1 other 41 Packard 160 buisness coupe and I've been yackin it up for years with folks all over the planet looking for another. Nope. So now there's a human element we call avarice. I'd like to be the owner of such a rare version of one of my favorites. What's that worth? Nothing, but it can cost you if you hesitate when opportunity knocks. Could I buy a running 41 160 coupe later? Maybe I could, maybe my tastes change, maybe I get out of Packards all together. Yeah right, that won't happen. Tried it once before and here I am again. I told myself I'd never sell it until I couldn't drive any longer. Perhaps we need to be more careful with the demands we place on ourselves because life happens while we're busy dreaming. I forgot, what was the original question?

27. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have a 56 F100 that Im working on that will not be for sale. If something happens to me it goes to my daughter.
    It was my autobody instructors ride. We built 2 with this one being his daily driver.
    He was like a second father to me and had a way of consueling his students across the hood of a car that was effective.
    He was the first instructor I met who came in driving a 54 F110,had a Model A 4 door he built in trade school circa. 1950's.
    My hat is still off to O.D. [ole dog] Lewis.

28. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Simply put, our '34 Sedan isn't for sale. I've grown up in it as my dad bought it two years before I was born. I spent my second birthday in Vancouver, Canada (1969) riding in the back seat which is a long distance ride from our home in TX at the time. I have 16mm movie footage from that trip where my older sister and younger brother joined me for the cramped confinements of the rear seat of the Tudor.

I learned how to sand primer, spray paint and keep a black car clean at a very young age. I lit up every time my dad would drop us off or pick us up from school. Countless rod runs, vacations, street rod Nats (I really have lost count at this point) and a couple more rebuilds later...(not to mention over 300,000 miles between my dad and myself)...it's just not for sale. At least not by me.

Ten years ago, just after I finished its latest rebuild...my wife & son were having lunch in Louisville at the NSRA Nats when we we noticed two rodders who just couldn't get enough of the sedan. After numerous times of circling the car, one of them walked over to our lawn chairs and explained his friend was building a '34 just like ours and he told his friend he should just buy ours and save himself from anymore pain and expense. I quickly responded "thank you, but its not for sale". He immediately scoffed at my words and told me "now son...,everything is for sale...it just depends on how much money it takes". I thought for a nanosecond and replied " you know...I guess you have a point. If your friend has silly money and is willing to part ways with all of it...I will build him one just like it...but this one...ain't for sale". He sensed I was serious and asked about the history because there must be a story behind my response. After explaining this car was in the family before I was...he got it. They both smiled, took some more pictures and walked away...but I can guarantee my smile was larger than theirs.

While I understand some may sell their cars easily, it's just not the same for me. I have regretted selling every old car I have let go. Fast forward, my wife and most of my non-Hotrod friends think I've lost my mind for having so many old cars/trucks/projects. They probably are right...but I'm good with that so long as I get to extend this fun by one more ride in an old car...especially my dad's '34!

The way I see it, I'm just in possession of my son's Tudor until he proves himself ready to take it on the next journey. If I have learned one thing in life thus far, money is a lot easier to earn than another old car. Maybe one day my beliefs will change, but I really hope I have handed over the keys to my son before that day comes.

Best regards,

Troy

[right to left, Dad (Andy Cryer), my sister (Kecia), my brother (Vance) and me on my 5th birthday]
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1343789356.958144.jpg

Dad
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1343789555.118139.jpg

Our son 11 years ago
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1343789584.573699.jpg

Crossing over 300,000 miles on the way to the Lone Star Street Rod Run in Fredericksburg, TX
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1343789769.354814.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TJJ app

29. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I will have to say that I am not in a position to "No thanks, it isn't for sale." I have my buddies 69 Chevelle that we all cruised in in high school. I have had it for 18 years now and he had it for the 9 before me. To date the only thing that is still the same is the tub (minus the quarters) frame, motor and trans. But I am planning on swapping the motor and trans to something different. Sooo...I am left with a body tub and frame and alot of memories. If someone really had to dig seep and give me a boat load of cash then yes, I would sell it. Then I would take all the cash and build another better than the first. The extra cash would go for a steel 33 or 34 coupe body!:D

30. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Any car I got can be bought if there stupid enough to pay what I would ask my shit is gone:D