Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac stud oiling conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Babyblue57, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Babyblue57

Babyblue57
    from Argentina

Hi there. I'm planning on rebuilding my stock 287 in my 1955 Pontiac SW.
    Somehow the engine has been converted to 3/8 rocker studs and the rockers have worn out pretty badly. So I can buy new stock rockers but what about camshaft and cam bearings for this earlier stud oiling system? Do they still exist?
    What about doing the pushrod oiling conversion? I don't know what's involved in the conversion. Anyone can help me out on this issue?

Thanks!!!

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

all the parts exist .the cam fits 287-455(all pontiacs)so no prob locating one and cam bearings are the same.there is no real reason that i can think of to do a conversion as it works fine.i have a stock 287 in my 29 ford and just built a 57 347 block bored to354 with 58 heads,10-1 pistons,new valves,cam,etc to replace it.should be a little monster but it cost a bit .ive got about 3 grand in it,but its what i wanted and should kickass

3. IIRC pushrod oiling is 59-60 and the pushrods aren't cheap. You might be better off changing the rockers to match the studs, if you can do it without messing up the valve geometry -

4. Babyblue57

Babyblue57
    from Argentina

Thanks. Read somewhere that later camshafts and bearings won't work because of this stud oiling.
    I took this info from an old hamb post
    This confuses me on what to choose.

5. badlefihand

badlefihand

Take a look at "PY online forums,"Any thing you want to know about older Pontiacs is there.