Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thanks, Its been fun hanging out with Rick. Definitly a better time, Love the hand written Numbers,names and lettering on that Galaxie.

So the order was in on Feb 10th of 64 for the price of $ 4843.63 A Automatic Fairlane Dragster was being built. Not sure how that compares to todays $100,000 Cobra jet , of which I know I couldnt afford.

And on March 16th 64 The Thunderbolt was ready and picked up in a snow storm at DST. Rick and his Grandfather Flat towed the Bolt back to Colorado with the 63 4 door Galaxie . Still looking for more Pics of when it was White, so far those are the ony two.Later in the spring Rick painted his T-Bolt Poppy Red.

Sounds like Ricks family was behind him 100% and hit all the races with him. Ricks Dad would have the car ready behind the Galaxie or later on , on the trailer and ready to go every Friday. As soon as Rick was out of school they were on the Road.Sounds like they were at a track every weekend all season. Rick Raced almost every track in Colorado,Wyoming ,Nebraska, New Mexico Texas, Oklahoma,Kansas and some California.

I asked Rick why Poppy Red. Mostly Because Gas Ronda's car looked so good. And besides the car needed to be repainted. Apparantly on the way down to Amarillo for a Race, Rick and his Grandfather flat Towing the T-Bolt with the trusty 63 Galaxie was all of sudden getting passed by a familiar looking 1964 White Fairlane. The Tow bars had come un done on a back Highway trying to get around Raton pass in New Mexico. The Thunderbolt went barreling into a row of Fence posts and got completely entangled in Barb wire and ended up in the Ditch.The damage was done Flat Tires, busted oil pan, bent header tubes, Dented up front Aluminum bumper and shreaded Paint. After getting the Thunderbolt out of the field and down to the Raton truck stop, Rick stayed with the Thunderbolt while his Grandfather drove all the way back to Pueblo to get supplies. By the next morning they were up and running and made the race in Amarillo. And at that race they made it all the way to the Semi Finals.That was the last time they Flat towed it , after this they made a trailer.
    Heres some pics of the Thunderbolt later on with the new Poppy Red Paint at the Amarillo Dragstrip. You can see the reworked damage in the front Bumber where it hit the Fence Posts.

Rck Hearns Photo's

[​IMG]

Fentons on the front, Two tone Steelies in the back. Thats awesome

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Let me know which Photo size is prefered. More tommorrow Happy 4th of July

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  3. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Great pics and story! Good to see this thread active again. Mercuryjunky, I used an online converter and $4843 of 1964 dollars is $33,672 in 2010 dollars. I would say that's still a bargain for a more or less race ready car.

I have a T-Bolt question that's probably been covered before (but I can't remember), was the single exhaust system ever hooked up to anything? All the cars were delivered with them, correct?

Happy 4th of July, all.

Kevin

4. Falconred

Falconred

Looks like the Fentons were mad with the rims reversed as were many crome wheels at the time. Crome reverses were very popular back in the day. Talk about towing accidents, I wonder how many good cars were torn up by towing accidents? I know Phil Bonner's first lightweight '62 was damaged totaled that way because I used to help with the 2 door hard top that used the left over light weight parts from the wreck.

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

The vast majority of race cars, gassers and all used to be driven to the track, slicks carried in the trunk and put on with a bumper jack and the exhaust uncapped laying underneath it after they got in.
    Guys that could afford high ratio differentials flat towed like a hay wagon down the road.
    Guys with a lot of time and a little extra cash put a trailer on the back of a old farm hay truck and called it race car hauler. That's what I did. :)

I don't know how many folk realize it, but one of the big reasons most of these cars got turned into gassers and F/X cars with gutted underhood and a straight axle was to make it possible to work on them.
    High compression in a 10 head bolt Ford meant head gaskets with regularity, which was a chore as delivered.
    A 427 was a load under the hood of a compact originally designed for a 170 inline.

The only set of original DST installed headers I ever saw (which was just last year incidentally) had a little elbow welded to the right collector near the exit. The collectors did not have a flange for a reducer or block-off, and were always open.
    I am wondering now myself also if that little exhaust pipe elbow was even open to the collector or just welded on for looks.

Let me add a question; who made the headers DST installed? Bellanger?
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. Falconred

Falconred

Most of the faster cars that ran around here were flat towed up until '65 or so when the Strip Teaser Falcon was broungt in on a trailer. Most of the dirt trackers hauled theirs in on logging trucks with boards for runners on the bed and most dirt tracks had a loading ramp dozed out or built up to load and unload on. Some of the faster traveling cars would come in on a trailer. Some of the hobby cars would be towed in using a chain and a 4 or 5' piece of pipe and someone riding in the car to stear and brake.

We once had a fellow tow our dirt car to a track a good distance away with a wrecker. We pulled the axles (quick change rear with 3/4 ton axles) and he lifted the front. Even with the axles out we still wore one rear tire out because of the stagger in the car.

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Spent the day with Rick yesterday , gave me about a 100 photos or so to scan from his racing days between 63 to 70, Including the original Bill of Sale Form from Courtesy ford and Original DST Form with the release and Vin Number.Talk about being nervous holding that stuff in my hand . What a time to be a racer. About 20 or so more pics of the Thunderbolt including two good shots of that mystery Thunderbolt that Fast Eddie is next to.Also some good shots of the Marv Youngman Thunderbolt Racing Gas Rhonda up At Julesburg Dragstrip in Aug of 64.
    All of these photos were Stored away and forgotten about, He hopes that everyone enjoys them. Rick hasnt even talked about his racing years for as he puts it, a 100 years or so. Didnt think anyone was interested.
    Just by Chance I bumped into him and recognized his name. We are both having a great Time.

Now I just need to get him out to a Nostalgic Event. California Hot Rod Reunion Maybe

Photos are soon to follow, trying to get organized

8. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks for putting the time in to scan them.

Kevin

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I know the Skillman family a little and have told Drew and the guys that he is making history with the new C.J."s. Told him that he reminded me of Jerry Harvey back in the day. He has no idea about any of that and I think it's all about the fun and having a good time right now for him. I'm sure the original T-Bolt guys were the same way, too busy having fun to worry about history for now. By the way, Drew may be more like Jerry Harvey than he knows. He skipped last weeks national event to go to a concert, much like Jerry would rather have been golfing.:eek: I just think that as we look back, us old guys recognize how cool all of the lightweight stuff was and have some idea of where this Copo,Dragpak,C-J stuff is going. Shame that most of us could not afford it then or now. Maybe thats why some appreciate it more than others. This has been a great thread!

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

From Rick Hearns Photos,

Found two more shots of this Thunderbolt. The driver was named Billy Parker. All three of these shots are at Amarillo Dragstrip in 64. Rick could only remember that they were out of North Texas. On the back of the Photo it says Billy Parker S/SA 12.08

Anyone know anything about this Thunderbolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres two more shots of Ricks Thunderbolt When he first got it Day one no lettering.
    I believe this is at CDR here in Castle Rock, Co.

I believe Rick ran his Thunderbolt White for the first half of 64, and then Poppy Red no lettering for the rest of 64. With the Rules changing Rick changed the car and ran Modified Production for all of 65. In 65 he Re lettered the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Rick Hearn Racing Gas Rhonda S/SA vs S/S Julesburg Dragstrip August 1964.

Photo thanks to Rick's Mom

[​IMG]

13. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Another Shot Of Rick racing the Fenner Tubbs S/SA Mopar down in Amarillo

[​IMG]

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Clipping from National Dragster From Dennis K. I have to thank Dennis K for all his Help. I've been researching this Car for two years now and without Dennis's help I wouldnt of got this far. I almost have a Complete owner list of this car from 64 to now. Working on the Marv Youngman Thunderbolt now. Its probably a Good thing Colorado only got the two Thunderbolts, its been Time Consuming.

Thanks Dennis

[​IMG]

These Clippings are from Ricks Mom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Tonight

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  15. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

The Billy Parker Thunderbolt was the Beaty Ford car out of Midland Tx. These are very rare pics since the only one I know of is the Humpin Henry car that was cut up very bad later in life.

I played with the brightness and contrast of one of those pics and it looks pretty clear that it reads Billy Parker.

Good find Ken and thanks for posting.

Attached Files:

• hh.jpg
      hh.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  16. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Staying in 64 before switching to the 65 season.

All of these next set of photos are out at Julesburg Dragstrip in August of 1964. Rick Hearn and Marv Youngman had both there Thunderbolts up there for a regional event when out of the blue Gas Rhonda and Ed Terry showed up. I believe they were traveling accross the Country on I-80 to go to the Nationals in Indy. The Photos read August 23rd 1964. Maybe one last tune up or practice before hitting the Big Show.
    Speaking of the Nationals Marv Youngman did make it out there but Rick did not. After the Tow bar incident, Rick , Ricks father and Grandfather built an all purpose Car hauling trailer to carry the Thunderbolt to events. As Luck would have it the whole family was on there way when they broke an axle on the trailer in the middle of Nebraska somewhere and couldnt make repairs in time. I cant image the frustration back then trying to get cars accross the Country and Back.

All of these photos are from Ricks Mom.

Gas Rhonda

[​IMG]

17. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Marv Youngman and his S/S 4 Speed Courtesy Ford Thunderbolt.

[​IMG]

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Marv Youngman

[​IMG]

19. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

These are the only Photos That Rick has of Marv Youngman and the Courtesy Ford Thunderbolt.

In 1965 I dont Think Marv ran the Car. Working on that info now. Colorado wasnt on the list to get any of the new Ford/Mercury Drag cars in 1965 so it left Marv without a Factory/ Dealer Ride.
    Rick Hearn kept his Thunderbolt and ran M/P the next year but I'm not sure what Marv Did. I Know by 66-67 Marv decided to go Pikes Peak Hill Climb Racing. Heard he was running a R Code Fairlane up there.

Marv in the pits at Julesburg

[​IMG]

20. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Marv Youngman and Gas Rhonda S/S class run off Julesburg 1964. Wish I could've been there. What a sight Awesome

Thanks to Ricks Mom for taking the Photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This is the last Pic I have from the 64 season. This is a 289 Hipo Fairlane Hardtop out of Bill Goodro Ford at Rocky Mountain Dragway just east of Denver.

[​IMG]

Heres the Same car at Mountain Vu Dragstrip in Erie just north of Denver.

This photo is from the Garramone Collection.

[​IMG]

23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

For those who were wondering, Ed Terry Showed up at Julesburg with a 64 289 Cobra. Rick said right off the trailer it ran a 12.12

Tonight I'll get to the 65 Season

[​IMG]

24. wool1962

wool1962
    from australia

mecuryjunky, wow! great photos and story. the shot of marv and the white t/bolt is just awsome, thanks for posting.

25. RICKHEARN11

RICKHEARN11
    from COLORADO

I just wanted to thank ken for all the effort he has put into bringing the colorado thunderbolt history back from the dead ! He also gave me new life , i had forgotten how great those days were !

26. RICKHEARN11

RICKHEARN11
    from COLORADO

Jeez man ! Are you sure that's me ! What a kick it is to see yourself 50 years ago !

27. wool1962

wool1962
    from australia

cool shot of ricks t/bolt with helmut on roof, the car looks ready to rumble.

28. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Welcome to the HAMB and the Thunderbolt thread. I think I'm safe in saying that we're all enjoying the history and the pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Kevin

29. noboD

noboD

Yes, welcome Rick. And I don't even like Fords. Just so happens a '64 Fairlane 500 289 four speed was the first car I ever drove on the road, at 14. Really caught hell for it too, but it was worth it. And it left an impression on me, have always loved T-bolts.

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I like that shot also. Here it is a little bigger.

[​IMG]