Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lower Shock mounts on AV8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rhinodaddy, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Rhinodaddy

Rhinodaddy
    from mesa az

I have a ’41 Ford truck rear end that I want to put on my Model A. This has the spring mounted behind the axle centerline. All the AV8 info I’ve seen has you welding new buggy spring and lower shock mounts directly over the axle housing

I’m no suspension whiz, so my question is why not cut the old spring arm just after the existing bolt hole, and use that for my lower shock mounts? I plan to put the upper shock mount in the rear crossmember per the Bishop book. I know I still need to weld spring shackle mounts to the axle housing, so we’re only talking 2 welds vs 4. Is this a good idea, or buying myself more trouble than it’s worth?

Sorry if this double posted, but my first time didn’t show up on the HAMB.

Attached Files:

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I think you will find they are to far outboard, and too far back,and will be too high on the diff. the link Mr Overalls posted are a good option.
    maybe you could redrill the hole closer to the base of that forging? its really a matter of getting the rear end in the car and getting a shock of the correct travel and length and playing around with placement. Remember that the more you lean a shock over, the less effective it is.
    There is often not much point second guessing this stuff till its mocked up.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I like to use the cut off ends of rear radius rods...
    [​IMG]

4. Rhinodaddy

Rhinodaddy
    from mesa az

Thanks. I actually caught that post (ref by Bib Overalls) and was considering that or the weld ons in the Bishop book. I guess I'll be grinding off those old arms. Probably give it a cleaner look anyway.

I'm trying to approach this project (my first build) with the perspective of what would somebody have done back in 1940 - short of doing anything that would kill me or destroy my kidneys.

T-bird - Nice use of Henry parts.