Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi timing cover..wilcap or hot heads??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jul 8, 2012.

1. looking for feedback on the 2 different timing chain covers for my 325 hemi...wilcap and hot heads....the wilcap looks beefy......pros cons on either of them?????thanks

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Whats wrong with the Dodge Timing Cover ?

3. nothing wrong with it...just thinking maybe i'll run the Lil John's Stuff (sbc style)water pump i have then i'ld have to change it...

[​IMG]

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ohhhhh ..... Why ?

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'd give Wilcap a call first. I ordered a trans adaptor from them. They don't stock them, but build them when ordered. They said 10 days. Called them after 10 days, still no adaptor. They said they had a large order come in and it would be another 10 days. I found another company had them in-stock.

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Why? Because aluminum is cool. :) And it is traditional. And a stock Dodge cover does not have a timing indicator. Besides the fact it wont fit behind the waterpump he wants to use. And it it his project. I am sure there are more reasons also.

7. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

post up some images of the HH and Wilcap covers.

8. damn, i couldn't have said it better!!!!:eek::eek::eek:.......besides, Lil John Buttera was a hot rod icon.....supposedly he only made a few of these that are inscribed "Lil John's Stuff" on them then Mr Gasket bought the design and they did not put the script on it.....seen one go for sale here a few years back..brought good money....and mine came from a old friend's dad's rod shop...it was part of his dad's personal stash..his dad ran the old Granny Goose vette and camaro in cincy....and was reportedly dropped off by John himself....and it was a gift from said fiend many years ago......

9. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

I like Wilcap for their quality.

10. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I see ... It is his project & Thats cool.

I thought guys changed from the Unreliable Hemi syuff so they could buy a water pump at WallMart when they break out on the road.

Dont thin even the Best auto parts stoe could help with that Thing.

11. well ii don't consider the old hemi stuff as being an issue to run....i look at this w/p setup as a cool old iconic peice of speed equipment....Lil John Buttera...yeah he was for sure a ledgendary hot rod guy, imho:eek:.....and i really like the looks of the stock tensioner and all that...but i have this ..and it takes a good 30 lbs off the nose of my 325 ..i ran this on my vega wagon 40 over 400 blower motor,,,590 ft lbs hp....600+ ft lbs of torque...kept the 400 cool even in woodward dream cruise traffic..... ...and it is easy as getting a sbc walmart pump in so far as servicing it goes..a good mic, any arbor press, and about 1/2 hour is what it takes to rebuild it...i freshened it up after i sold the vega( kept the 400 short block;)) bought a short sbc water pump and pressed it apart...then did the same while the LJS pump...after we miced it so we would know where to re-install the new impeller and pulley....it is totally un-boltable....and get this....there's NO GASKETS...... other then the pump to block gaskets....directions recommended a coat of indian head type shelac...

and like i said...cause i got it.....mounted on a 325 hemi,,,in a steel 1938 topolino????:cool::cool:

so back on topic..any more good or bad stories about hot heads timing cover vs wilcap's?????

12. hot heads,,, said to have bosses for altenator ect....

hhh t cover.jpg

wilcap....doesn't say much about it..hell might be for bbc only????

wilcap t cover.jpg

13. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I do not see a timing tab on the wilcap. Either would dress up the engine and look nice against the Little John Buttera water pump.

14. yeah i just noticed that myself...and i found info over at speedy bill's that says it's for a bbc water pump.....looks like it's probably going to be a hhh cover....although i do like the beefy look to the wilcap....