Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patina on a budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLVD_Regulators, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

I'm looking to apply a patina look to my galaxie and was wondering if there is any budget ways of doing this? I've heard of sanding and using vinegar to speed up the rust process. I'm looking for ideas and ways to get this done on a budget. I'm looking to apply in warn areas, not necessarily the whole car.

Thanks!

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Are you serious? You want to make your car rust. That is about the dumbest thing I've heard this week. Rust is the enemy, and is not patina.

3. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

Ok. then give me some tips on how to achieve the look I want.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not really what this site is about. If it's original (i.e. real) patina it usually gets a pass, but fake is fake. We're usually more about actually fixing things rather than making them worse or making them look worse.

5. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Oh dear.. You dun goofed now.

6. Go park it @ the beach for a year.

7. get the car to bare metal,gather a bunch of friends and piss all over the car,nothing beats urine to start the patina process.
    Battery acid applied directly to the bare metal and to your nut sack will make your urine more powerful.

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Move to New Jersey for a year or two. All MY cars went to shit after a few winters, should work for yours too. Love this NC weather...

9. You are being too harsh,,the dumbest thing was the donations thread to build a car. HRP

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Faux finish is one thing. Rust on purpose is uber lame!

11. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

Appears that I did. Thought this was for traditional and custom. must of read it wrong.

12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

If it is not the "dumbest" it is certainly VERY HIGH (tm) on the list.

13. Some time back somebody suggested pissing on it for a while. You know, I put out an engine fire on my coupe a number of years ago with a powder type fire extinguisher. Been seeing rust show up at strange places ever since.

I'm with Zman though. Can't understand why you'd want rust.

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

And what you want to do is neither. So you read right.

15. fbama73

fbama73

You actually want the car to rust? You will be flailed merciulessly for that statement, and, to be quite honest- you deserve every bit that you get.

What will you want next? a tutorial on how to make a spider web grille?

16. fbama73

fbama73

Exactly what is traditional about wanting a car to rust? What is custom about wanting a car to rust? Other than absoloutlely nothing, that is.

17. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

If you evenly distribute a carton of .177 cal BBs in through each spark plug hole, the engine will stop running, too. Or, you could just put a 5 pound bag of sugar into the gas tank. Figured I'd help you out with the next stage of your project BEFORE you asked...

18. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

hee!

Attached Files:

19. John Denich

John Denich

It is for Traditional Hot Rods and Custom.....Please explain where you got the idea that making your car rusty is traditional? I am not going to bust your balls because you have been given some bad information. But you can learn from this site what real tradition is about.

20. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

There were a bunch of cars at SEMA last year with patina paint jobs that were obviously fake but did look the part. Do a Google search on "patina paint jobs" and up will pop several really good links on how to do your fake patina.

21. Noland

Noland

and here I am trying to stop or slow rust down.

22. 117harv

117harv

Here is some advice for the OP and others who want to do things that are, well questionable. Use the search function, at this point in the HAMB life span just about any question you have can be answered this way, there are exceptions of course. This will help you find the answers you seek, and nobody will be the wiser, then you wont have to start a thread like this and get tarred & feathered.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

24. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Ohhhhhh noooooo!!!!!

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Correction: Step 15 should read "Lather your nuts and any exposed steel with a mixture of Dawn and battery acid, and pee on the car."

26. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY GET YOUR LAME QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE IN THE HAMB.

What the hell is going on today? Is it lame assed question day?

Rust is NEGLECT patina is good paint worn thin by time and polishing.

28. Attached Files:

29. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

<TABLE id=post7943825 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>BLVD_Regulators<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7943825", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

[​IMG]

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7943825 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Patina on a budget
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by mrjynx [​IMG]
    Oh dear.. You dun goofed now.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Appears that I did. Thought this was for traditional and custom. must of read it wrong

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>are you shitting me !

Has the heat gotten to everybody ?
    This has been a crazy week for stupid !

Just today

Patina ,

Donations ,

Is the H.A.M.B becoming a magnet for this kind of crazy shit ......

30. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'll bet it's the first stages of that disease that's turning people into flesh-eating zombies in Miami...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.