Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A late introduction-Junior Conway coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Oct 10, 2009.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, wer'e going to try this again. Iv'e got to get some drive time on this thing as we prepare for the roundup. We might have a rendevous with destiny.

Attached Files:

Lou kriger likes this.
  2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I put header wrap at the exhaust pipe by the fuel line coming out of the tank, put rubber hose over that line, rerouted the fuel lines under the hood and, insulated them. I also blocked off the oil inlet into the filter housing and, installed 160 degree thermostats in the heads. This is now running way cooler than it was. I still think it's the temperature of the fuel that's the problem. I need a day that mimics the heat in Austin to be sure I've got it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. TomH

TomH

What's your thinking here?? Keep the heat from the oil away from the fuel lines.

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm trying to reduce the heat under the hood. The oil filter housing is to hot to touch when engine is running. This helps that problem. I can grab it and be able to hold on when its empty of the oil now. Also the accessory dual exhaust pipe goes above the stock manifold instead of under it. That doesn't help things either.

Attached Files:

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I think we're at the end of this vapor lock story. I forgot to mention that I installed the accessory fan that came with the donor car.
    I've installed a cool can to see if cooling down this ethanol laced fuel will make a difference. In my research I'm finding that ethanol boils at a lower temp than gas.
    The gas coming out of the tank is cool at the pump inlet. It's when it arrives at the engine room that things change drastically.
    If I put ice in the cool can I can get the car to idle for 45 minutes before the fuel boils in the carbs. Before this it was a half an hour. I went to the store and got some dry ice. With the dry ice/ice mix it ran for an hour and a half. Now that should get us where we want to go shouldn't it?
    Son Dan was gone for awhile and came back with here's where you can get pure gas. It was a Quick Stop about 60 miles away. I loaded up the next morning with two 5 gallon, two 2 ½ gallon and, bought another 5 gallon gas can along the way.
    When I got back I drained everything out of the cool can and just was able to get about 7 gallons of pure gas in my 17 gallon tank and started her up. It told me, I'll run forever on this stuff, and did. I re- configured everything back the way it was and it said the same thing.
    All the hundreds of dollars and all the hassle later and the finding is, THIS CAR WILL NOT RUN IN ANY KIND OF HEAT ON ETHANOL FUEL.
    Thanks for your patience.

Attached Files:

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Am I the only one who finds this damn interesting? Who knew? Never stop learning, especially here on the HAMB. Cool can. Pure gas. Pure cool. :)

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, we've come home to some computer problems but, now we're up and runnin'. We arrived in Austin on Friday PM. We were going to do some cruising but the display area was to far from the cruise area. We were told that the show cars had there own area and once they were positioned they were not to be moved. The pasture was about 3 acres and was a bit soft on irregular ground.
    There actually were ruts just inside the gate that we bounced over and kind of careened to a stop after plowing up the ground under the vehicle. No problem for a car with some ground clearance but, for an authentic mid fifties floater the result was being stopped where we had landed.
    I didn't know if it was worth it to try and reposition the car because I thought there was a good chance I could dig a hole in the dirt where it was sitting. So we left it where it was and left for the night.
    The show was great and there were some heavy hitters there. Unfortunately we were unable to get close because of the surface condition. The car probably received almost as much attention as it did at the GNRS, in spite of it being out of the loop.
    It was windy on Saturday and in the PM we got a rain shower. I was sweatin' it because of the already soft ground.
    We had a good time but, I only got one picture thinking that there was another day to the Roundup. Hopefully other pics will show up.
    The car sure likes the full tank of gas. Maybe some driving video's in the future.

Attached Files:

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Try a small local airport - they have "pure" gas - also I run Shell premium with MMO and it seems to help alot.

Attached Files:

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey, I just went out to see if the car was still in the trailer. Yep. It is. I do need to do what I said I was going to do. Get some pose pics with the car in different situations. I will do that. Right now I'm elbow deep in my next project. So, out of sight, out of mind.

I WILL get those pics and video's. I will, I will, I will.

Attached Files:

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have a thread for the new project yet? A link? Can't wait to see what you're up to now Jerry.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jim I do appreciate your loyalty. I shouldn't have mentioned the new build. I like to be well along before I start the thread. It's another historical icon. I guess I'm hopelessly addicted.

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK we are in the driveway. We'll try to get out next.

Attached Files:

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

The next part of this ongoing "saga" is looming as Jer wanders into the oncoming headlites of the magazine wars.

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

P.M. sun coming through the upper windows in Tulsa.

Attached Files:

• 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      469.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  15. jivin jer

jivin jer

16. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks for sharing the video.Car sits and looks good.Garage looks good.House looks good.Weather looks good.I wouldn't mind the consequences.

17. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

18. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Oh Jerry, watching the video was great - the car looks soooo good going down the drive way - is your gas problem solved?

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm sayin' it is. The tank has about 40% non ethenol and I think it will get better as that becomes 100%.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice rumble. Sure is loud with lakes pipe closed? Looks fantastic!

21. Awesome video. That part as you pull off on down the road....it just glides across the asphalt. Just wonderful!

22. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks Dave. A good example of why sometimes just lowering a car will completely change it's look and image.

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is after the city came through and got all the cars off the street at the "THEM" street party last year.

Attached Files:

• 651.JPG
      651.JPG
      File size:
      275.7 KB
      Views:
  24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here are some "pose" pics as promised.

Attached Files:

25. daddio211

daddio211

Wow, beautiful. Are there lenses in the original taillight locations? You know, for backup lights?

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks. They're "dummy" lights. See posts 1076-1088.

27. spacebull1

spacebull1
    from Belgrade

WOW..Beautiful...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

28. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, not sure how I missed it because I thought I'd read every post.

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

30. jivin jer

jivin jer

Last year I was told about a Fort Worth show called The Yellow Rose of Texas Ford show. It's mostly mustangs I think. Your car has to at least have a Ford powerplant. Well I'm going to dust off all the display stuff and enter the car. They said that they would love to have it and would give a good spot. It's the weekend of August the 11th. One last time?