Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gloss vs Faux Finish AKA Rolling Bones Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 23, 2012.

1. 117harv

117harv

If you can't find/buy that perfect patinaed survivor that you seek, you create it. If you can't find that origonal speed/factory part you seek, you by a reproduction. There just isn't enough original whatever ie. 32 bodies and frames to go around, fake, reproduction, potato, potAto. Would you be so hard on a guy with a repro 32 bodied tradiional car with shiny paint as a guy with an original one with faux finish??

Why does it have to be shiny? So much in this world is not, and we like IT:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. let's try this again

Attached Files:

3. Well put.I enjoy seeing any vintage auto resurrected and on the road.keep building them.

4. x 2.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Without a disussion on semantics, I'll try to fill you in. :)

Nobody was faking their paint or putting in the effort to "age" it, on their rides, in say (for the sake of argument) 1959. We were however, squirting shiny paint on them in 1959. That's the difference. Reproduction speed equipment parts for hotrods were available. Aftermaket parts were available. NOS was available, and so were "wrecking yards". Glossy paint was available, and primer was available. And yes, some guys were letting the once glossy finish on their cars go, in 1959. The ONE thing that you could not find on any cars in 1959 was FAKED paint, or FAKED patina.
    A little earned "patina" was around, but faux patina was not. Many cars with a little too much "patina" during WWII were donated for scrap for the war effort. ALL vehicles at one time had glossy paint. Every single one of 'em. That's how the left the factory. Think about that for just a moment.

If you don't like your car shiny, simply throw some dirt on it and leave it there.

Let me add that I've driven my "glossy" Muntz 'cross country, on dry-lake beds, and I've earned plenty of rock chip awards for my efforts. All real.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    draggin49 likes this.
  6. Clark

Clark

Here's a thought for the guys that say the faked patina wasn't done back in the day....well I wasn't there but from what I have seen in pictures and survivors the fit and finish isn't what we have today. Gaps sucked. Bodies where not perfect. Welds looked like shit.

All the cars we build are FAKE (except the real survivors) We all are trying to make a car look like it was built back in the day. Hell the most respected hot rod out there is not the way it was. Find a picture of the Doane Spencer car looking like it does today. Did it have some fancy weave carpet in it back in the day?

They're hot rods...have fun with what you got. If fun is building a car that looks like it was rode hard and put away wet....then riding it hard....go for it. If your idea is building a perfect car and putting ropes around it and please don't touch signs on it.....go for it. The idea is to have fun ....get over yourselves!!!!

I did do one car with the rubbed through look and it did take longer than just buffing it. You have to be careful to rub through just enough and not too far.
    Clark

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

NOT picking on you Ed...just that what you wrote IS a very sensible and well used argument...but looking at it from a different angle...

...nobody in 1959 WANTED to retrofit their car to 1909 performance/fun levels!

We're the only fools who want to build backwards 50 years....and some guys want it to look like their car was a "player" back in the day...not the mundane stocker in some old guys garage that it likely was, seeing it still exists in modern times.

Considering how much we routinely FAKE anyways in our quest for 50's automotive coolness... I find it a little hypocritical for enthusiasts to be singling out patina paint on otherwise "acceptable" cars as a way to slam the vehicle/owner/builder to the ground!
    It's just another way to enjoy the hobby for some people.

Someone here has a signature that says something like...
    "The first step to being superior is to find someone to look down on."
    We HAVE that covered!

Can't we all just climb back on the pedestal...have a group hug...and start dissing the Rat Rodders again!?!? :p:D:D

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Pick on me all that you care to.... :) I can take it.

As Ryan asks that everyone reads this, I'll re-post it.
    "The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That’s right – TRADITIONAL. And we aren’t talking Beach Boys and poodle skirts here fellas...... We are all here to learn and teach."
    If I've offended anyone regarding this subject, I apologize. I wasn't attempting to run anyone down. I'm simply trying to keep our history intact. My personal opinions don't mean squat. But our history is our history. Please don't piss on my shoes, and tell me it's raining. I'm simply pointing out the obvious; It wasn't done "back in the day". If you enjoy it, that's cool. But don't sell it as a traditional finish. Traditional appearing? Perhaps. That's for you to decide as an indvidual, That's a subjective opinion.
    If I'm being considered the "tradional police" by everyone, so be it. A few of us are getting tired of defending our actual history, and keeping things semi-accurate. I don't know squat compared to a whole lot of fellows on here, but I know what I saw in Southern California during the fifties and sixties with my own two eyes. :)

9. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Ed
    Your so special , we are so fortunate to have you and those like you to set us on and keep us on the right path.I always thought going fast , building something that you could afford and making it your personal statement was what those guys did.
    I never realized it was against the rules to build hot rods that might be a tribute to them . I didn't understand that wanting to build something that might represent what some of those hot rods looked like when they were put away after their years of use and before they ended up either being rebuilt in the trends of the current day or over restored to a condition that never was.
    Would you advise us please , should we repaint all the hot rods we have built and make them shinny . and can you advise us on what colors are acceptable . I mean we just want to be accepted here. We never knew our hot rods didn't belong.
    Oh and one last thing , where can I get a copy of your rule book?
    thanks for all your help
    Oh one more thing Special Ed is this one acceptable to be on the hanb there's no worn paint . ok maybe its not real shinny but it's not flat either.

Attached Files:

10. Larry T

Larry T

Let's see.

Ed is talking about the way he remembers things in the 50's/60's.

You're talking about building what you think could be a tribute to what could have been left over from the past.

The original question was "Which is more expensive-shiney or faux patina paint?"

How do these relate to each other and how did we get here?

11. That car would be awesome if it wasn't so nice. Too bad it isn't rusty.:(

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO, I originally asked which finish TOOK LONGER to apply. By the way if you can see two roadsters in this 1950's photo did they exist? [​IMG]

13. Larry T

Larry T

OK, sorry 'bout that, I equate time with money.

As far as the picture goes along with the question "did they exist", I think you also need to ask "are they finished". And maybe, "what did they do to obtain the finish"?

14. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

I two remember the 50's and 60's Maybe in California all the hot rods were painted but here in upstate New York where us poor farm boys lived there were more worn original paint hot rods than freshly painted ones. First thing we did was strip off the extra stuff and put an better engine under the hood. Your right the original idea was which took longer . Having done both more than once I will say what we do takes longer than a shinny paint job. Everything is the same until it comes to the point of what happens after the ready to paint color primer is done. At that point there are many more steps in a patina paint job the way we do it.
    I generally stay out of the fray on the hamb but I was tried of being called a fag who builds cars with bad gaps and they had no place on here.

15. To answer the ORIGINAL QUESTION, it depends on the condition of the body. If the car is straight then shiny paint is not that time consuming.

My low buck 32 fordor was rough and covered in surface rust so I went with a fake patina deal and it came out great, for what it is.

Though maybe not easy, I surely saved myself a TON of money, time & labor.

So yes, if your body is not so perfect, a faux finish will save you headaches.

AND YOU CAN ALWAYS PAINT THE DAMN THING LATER.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'm staying out of this drama thread but that pics only as old as Ice Cube's last album.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

ANOTHER guy that didn't read or understand the original question. :rolleyes:

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Naaaa...ya got your answer from several sources AND from the Bones themselves so you did good!
    Your thread morphed around into a good discussion on a slightly different but obviously related subject...lots of good input AND I think everyone ultimately realizes its a personal thing anyway so feathers may have been ruffled but no hearts have been broken! LoL

Been a great thread on a delicate subject I think! ;) :cool:

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes and no, I think a good Faux finish no matter who applies it will take more time than a gloss finish AFTER the metal work has been returned to AS NEW. Look at the work envolved in doing "French Country" kitchen cabinets, same deal, done well it looks great. I just didn't like the attacks on people that like the old look and people with the skill to apply it. Bob:)

20. Model T1

Model T1

YES!------When a member said to kill this thread I could see there was still some good in it. On most of these topics members go beyond the original questions and ideas. But look at what we've learned and shared! Takes our minds off other things and makes us think about traditional and modern hotrods.

21. Fenders

Fenders

I think that's the answer...
    though I think a faux finish can be put over a not-like-new body and look fine, while a gloss finish does need a like new body, so could take longer.

22. RayMiller

RayMiller

I love the maybe in SoCal point, I think a lot of guys are in that state of mind that there isn't a hotrod history outside of California. Yea alot of popular hotrod happenings were in Cali but lets face it hot rodding ran and runs coast to coast border to border. So the questions are all answered now and people have been pissed off and called crappy names and all the in between so glad it's over. Oh and by the way that not shiny not flat or patina'd roadster you asked about a few lines back isn't acceptable so I'll have to ask that you turn it over to me to dispose of for you:)

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

It's been a pleasure, my friend. Enjoy your day. :)

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is the real deal. There's maybe 4000 miles on it, it was designed at Walter Murphy Coachworks by Franklin Hershey at age 22, all aluminum coachwork and fenders, 16 cylinders. That's original paint, glass, wool interior and chrome as well. Inspirational is an understatement. Nothing has been done to this car except cleaning and waxing. It's the Peerless 16 and can be viewed at the Crawford Auto and Aviation Museum in Cleveland, OH. The last Peerless built, and was sealed into a room for safe keeping behind brick walls when Peerless went into the beer buisness in 32 or 33. The Packard below it, while also original, required more work and repair to get it on the road than the Peerless. Trick question...

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just what I was gonna say. lemme see, fake patina, fake old photos. What do these things have in common...

26. they look good?

27. Am I missing something? If both bodies are ready to go the shiny paint method should be quicker. If the body is rough the faux finish route should be quicker, right?

Am I having a dyslexic moment or is that not the original question?

And by the way... The faux finish was fun to do.

28. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I posted what i thought was a reasonable opinion on the last thread on this subject I came across and got slapped down for dissing the Bones cars.... So I'll try it again and see what happens.

First off I think the Rolling bones build exceptional cars that look great. However, if I were fortunate enough to own one I'd have to take it apart and paint and detail it. That's my opinion but I'm sure, just as happened the last time, I'm gonna get slapped.

As far as the OP's question goes. After 45 years of painting cars I'd have to say that in order to do a "realistic" Patina job...which is certainly what the Bones cars have... Would take about as long as a nice single stage A/E or Eurethane job.

I'm not talkin' about body work.... Take two cars with a properly straightened body, which, again, the Bones cars are.... And paint one to finished standard and one to a Bones standard and I'm pretty certain that the time spent will be close to the same.
    I think the comparison would hold true if you compared crappy amateur jobs or nicely done jobs.

As far as the rest of the controversy going on here...whether patina is traditional or phony..... Well.... It's really none of my business and I don't care one way or another how anybody finishes their car. I personally dont lie fke patina and I'll finish mine in shiny paint and drive thm as much as I can, including on the salt and dirt.

29. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Rich . I'd say your answer is about right (especially all the good things you said about our hot rods ) If you have ever noticed some of the hot rods that run with us you will see all kinds from shinny to patina . We like em all .When I was young so long ago my brother and I drove to the first street rod nationals in Peoria. In a feature from the coverage the paint on my 29 roadster pick up and my brother's 30 coupe was described as " foot deep black " . I've gotten old , fat, uglier and lazy since then and grown to love the look of an old hot rod that has been " THERE " , no wax , no duster no cleaning just jump in and become 16 again.
    You said you drive yours on the salt . If that means Bonneville come by say hello and have a beer.

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think what really happens is that a selected look gets morphed by many who simply don't know better. 1000 bullshit "patina'd" cars that insult the real thing, that insult an artist's redition of the real thing. Sadly the numbskulls outnumber those who excell at their chosen venue. There's even more casual viewers who'd never know the difference between a 5 figure pro-built traditional car and a slapped together rusted hunk of shit trying to fit in. When the owner and builder jump in the real thing and log thousands of miles a year, it's answered. When year after year it's always the same, or gets even better, answered. It's very hard to ignore the general perceptions when they fester, like in one of these topics here at "home". I guess we're all guilty of that at one time or another, some worse than others.

I've never seen a 'bones car in person but have heard a thing or 2. Maybe the fact you guys get used an example of style can be a rewarding thing rather than a fart in church. Some will always seek an arena to pass their gas. Keep rollin...