Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Ford paint scheme... Whatda think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CustomlineFlathead, Jul 7, 2012.

1. I changed the paint job on my 53 Customline. I know it's a common paint scheme but I like it.
    Am I the only 4 door here? lol

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

2. belair

belair

I would have just rubbed out the old paint.

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Ooooh! flat black

4. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Not too sure on this one. Kind of liked the original red better I think. However it still looks good. Nice job.;)

5. Four door-check
    Flat black-check

Did you paint it with a can of pbr in the other hand?

6. Fenders

Fenders

I was looking at the first photo, didn't see the Before note, and thought it was the finished paint job. I was disappointed, thinking, that car is crying out for a two-tone paint job....

Then I scrolled down....

Bingo !!

7. Model T1

Model T1

Looks good both ways. I'd buffed out the red. But I like red. Brings back memories of my 54 2-dr. I cut the center out of the rear bumper and made a roll pan. Like yours better painted.

8. 51custom

51custom

Looks just fine to me...and NO you are not the only 4Door here...LOL!!
    Jim

9. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Looks Good to me, but you'll read all the comments from some of these guys about flat black and red wheels. It's a shame they can't leave you alone.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

if he wanted people to leave him alone why would he ask whatda think?

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

brother,the paint scheme is fine,just a couple of things,what would be good is to ditch the red wheels and get some nice chrome reverse smoothies and some fat white walls,lower the car some,and from what it looks like in the picture get the rest of the rear bumper chromed.DONT worry about what people say,there not driving it or paying for it,make the haters your motivators...good luck

12. Nope, not the only Fordor Customline here. I like it!

Jim, who drives a 54 Fordor Customline.

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

POLISHED.....my $.02
    B.B.

14. wallyringo

wallyringo

I like it bro, Do you have red tint? add some pinstriping and good to go.

15. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Nice car ! Chrome steelies would look awesomee!

16. ChevyMikey

ChevyMikey
    from Minnesota

Chrome steelies and drive! Great looking car tho!

17. Thanks for the both good and bad input eveyone!
    Yes... I will get both bumpers, headlight bezels and alot of other things re-chromed someday. I am currently running a regular 3 speed and a 4:10 rear end... My next project is to install my "new to me" recently purchased 3 speed overdrive behind the 239 flatty.

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Best thing in my opinion....your keeping the flathead!...do the old girl up in some speed equipment and proudly cruise it.nice work!

19. Squablow

Squablow

My original '53 was all red, so I'm partial to the old paint job.

If you're open to suggestions, there are a few good ways of turning those tires into wide whites, and that would really help the look a lot. Also, your bumpers are one piece, so you can lose the guards without showing any seams for a more custom look.

If you can't afford new chrome or can't find any good used replacements, a sheet of chrome HVAC tape or the flexible chrome tape stuff they sell at O'reilly's and whatnot could cover up the center sections of your bumpers and at least give the illusion of a fully chromed bumper in the meantime.

Also, if you're not aware, Ford Aerostar minivan coil springs are a bolt-in replacement on these cars and give about a 3" drop. Those, some shorter shocks, and a set of 3" blocks is what I used in my '52, looks great and total cost was about $120 for everything.

20. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

21. Being the frugal person I am... I have researched how to widen the whites! I actually thought about the chrome metal tape... didn't know about the coils springs though. Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  22. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Looked good rollin down 27 today at 70mph with it full of people.

Drive em!

23. carnut341

carnut341

I like your car. Probably because my 53 started out two-tone green. And you painted it with the dark color above the doors. The 52s had the top color down to bottom of the windows.

24. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

X2 , flat black was cool ,,, 10 years ago .

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you took a nice looking little old red Ford and turned it into a flat black get lost in a sea of flat black rides that lost it's personality and will get you a "nice rat rod" the first time you drive it anywhere..
    I've driven flat black or black primer plenty. Most of the time with my 51 Merc after I put it back together and between 1973 and 2003 probably 15 out of the 30 years I drove the 48 it was flat black most of the time because I was broker than a church mouse after tax time and could only afford to buy a quart of black primer and gallon of lacquer thinner and usually got three redo's out of the quart of primer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  26. toucan

toucan
    from sc

drop it and drive!

27. I know it's too late, but I like the original red patina.

28. We all have our personal opinion and you did ask what we think,,it's easy to sit back a critique another members course of action.

I like original paint and with my cars if i can keep it I try and preserve it but that's not for everybody.

Your car looks good and there is nothing wrong with a 4 door. HRP

29. GREASER815

GREASER815

I would have buffed it out, done the top white, some mild white scallops, dropped it a bit, ditch the radials, and your done. Hey, its your car, but the flat black and red thing is way played out.

30. BigChief

BigChief

+1 on this one.