Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 Chevy windshield trim question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Apr 26, 2012.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to buy a new windshield for my '58 Biscayne. What I am concerned about is the stainless trim that surrounds the windshield and rubber gasket seal.

Has anyone here replaced the windshield in a 1958 Chevy passenger car?

Are there clips that are underneath the trim (there has to be) and does anyone know where they sell replacements? I can find the ones for the back window all over, but ironically not the front. If you changed the windshield, what did you do about the trim?

Keep in mind, I'm in Oz, the car is in Texas, so I can't go out and see for myself what to do.

Thanks.

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. You just take off the A pillar trim. all the inside trim, pull the headliner back a couple inches . you'll see 4-5 holes, under the headliner. there are 5/16 or 3/8 sped nuts that hold the top outside stainless.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I figured it had to be that. I had been looking all over the web and came up with info on how to do that for a '59 Chevy and I figured it had to be the same. But as the old saying goes, "never assume".

5. http://www.truckandcarshop.com/ has the upper molding clips. Go to the full size online catalog. 58-72 I think P/N 58-02701 $16 a set. I haven't been able to find anything for the lower. Not even at show cars automotive inc. I bought a lot of stuff from LateGreatChevys, which is now ecklers impalas. Things have changed an I bought my stuff in '98. Too long ago to remember, really. Anyways, hope this helps a little

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Bungwahl

Bungwahl
    from Australia

How did you go with the answer to your question on the windshield trim. I just bought a 58 Biscayne from a guy in Vic. I Go to pick it up this coming weekend. Are you bringing the texas car out to Brisbane ?

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope car stays in Tejas and someday I hope to join it.

9. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

Lower trim has a lip on it that tucks into the rubber gasket and holds it on, so no clips on the bottom half.

10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks flyin54, that really helps. I'm guessing that would be the starting point?