Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gloss vs Faux Finish AKA Rolling Bones Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 23, 2012.

1. john60

john60

I'm confused! My model a pick up was satin black that puts me in the fag group.my 32 2 door is gloss that means my shit has a shine to it now.i have no idea when the lesbian got in the act ? ( this is the BONES they will take anyone cross country with them.) have to go to my therapist now to explain myself. Looks like it is going to be a long day!

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

No one is asking you, or telling you what to drive, or how to drive it. No one. Nobody cares. How your car's body is finished is entirely up to you. BUT... Please understand that "fake patina or rust or bare metal" is not a traditional finish. Some guys come on the HAMB to learn stuff, and It's not fair to them or to our history to lead them to believe otherwise. :cool:

The HAMB being dedicated to preserving TRADITIONAL cars, it's important that we keep our past as accurate as possible. Let's make an attempt to not confuse the fellas that weren't around to see it first hand. It's pretty simple when you think about it, isn't it? :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  3. Larry T

Larry T

I kind of wonder about the "if it has shiney paint, it's too much trouble to take car of" stuff. Last time I was at the supermarket or drove by a car lot (new or used) most of the cars had shiney paint and none of them had an electric fence around them.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess a few of the latest replies really make my point on pg 4...

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Bingo!
    It seems to me that whenever shiny paint is mentioned people always assume that that equals high dollar. Shiny paint doesn't have to equate to show quality, lots of people on here can and do a really cheap shiny paint job to protect , then drive their cars into the ground, whether it be around the streets daily, on the racetrack, on road trips, on the salt flats, or any other place you might care to mention. They pick up scratches, stone chips, road rash, dirt and dust etc etc etc and clean them when they feel like it. The end result is real weathering and ageing, not fake, and they didn't have to pay top dollar for the effect.
    Applying a coat of "shiny" paint seems to have always been the traditional method of finishing your car. Whether or not you choose to keep it shiny is your business and nobody else's.
    Just an opinion.
    Paul

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

And how many of those owners viewed their cars as being just a device to get from point A to point B, versus those of us here who take pride in their rides, do all the work, and sweat all the chips and scratches?

Bob

7. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

This thread is why I'll never post a "build thread" here. I enjoy the HAMB, but really don't enjoy all the bashing that goes on. I love this hobby in all its diversity, and really enjoy seeing people do things differently than I would have done it. Even if I don't like something, I can usually still appreciate it, and will always respect it. Faux finishes can be seriously cool, and can achieve a look that is otherwise unobtainable to most of us (I'll be long dead before my shiny car weathers to the point it ends up with a cool patina). I'd never do it on my own car, but it's sure interesting to look at. Shiny finishes are cool too, so are all the variety of "non shiny" out there. It's all good to me, and keeps the car shows interesting with all the variety and creativity. Trying to be "traditional" is a noble quest, but it seems a lot of people on here get a little carried away trying to place strict rules and rigid definitions on what "traditional" really means.

To offer my $0.02 to the original question... I think there are way too many variables to say one style of finish could be faster or slower than another. I could see trying to achieve a "perfect patina" taking a long time to accomplish due the attention required to every detail... which is no different than the effort a show quality gloss finish would take, but for completely different reasons. But both styles of finishes could easily have "quick and dirty" versions, and everything in between.

Heck, if you REALLY wanna be traditional, go grab a brush... and depending on how you finish it from there, you could easily end up with something really shiny, not so shiny, or anywhere in between... and it could take you weeks to make it the way you want it.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Around here, there are lots of nice late model cars that are peoples daily drivers. For what it's worth, I've read that a persons car is usually their second largest investment behind housing. They don't put primer on them so they don't have to worry about driving them.

".......and sweat all the chips and scratches?" So the folks with old paint/faux patina/primer worry about this stuff? I thought that was part of it.

9. kingpins

kingpins

id be interested in finding out how they do there faux paint jobs

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

They're done with much controversy.:D

Bob

11. 41fastback

41fastback

So your shit will be shiny shit. But it's still shit.

12. Model T1

Model T1

I keep going back to the posts on this thread and get even more cornfused each time. Way back during the dawn of time when I bought my first 1949 Dodge and then a 1954 Ford I was proud when the Dodge was deep maroon and the Ford deep blue. But it didn't take long to shave the door handles, trunk, hood, and other ornamants off each. For the maroon car a rattle can of rust color primer and the blue Ford got grey. They stayed that way till I traded each on the next car to drive and play with. I wanted them repainted with some fancy shiny paint but as kids we were lucky to afford gas, insurance, food, and girls.
    My Model A coupe was that dark Ford blue but ended up being mostly grey and rusty colored primer. Always dreamed of it being bright red. Never pictured a car remaining patina or multicolored primers.
    A rusty or patina'd car was a piece of crap and we'd do whatever we could afford to get some shiny paint on it. Even if it was an Earl Schieb $30 paint job.
    Patina looks nice on some old cars now because it shows they are survivors. But beats me why anyone would waste time and money to create patina? I suppose because the custom builders do it and some have to copy what's in!
    Patina was a word used by antique collectors, not car guys. I think we called it faded old scratched up paint.
    Still, as we say, it's you car , do what ever ya want to and with it. As an added note, I do love primered rods and customs. They look natural and like the cars we worked on .
    And yes, even my shit sometimes shines. I looked in the stool!:D:eek:

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

This horse is DEAD fella's... move on now.

14. Model T1

Model T1

Even a dead horse has many uses. Glue, hide, hamburger. Let it live. Maybe we can still learn something.

15. john60

john60

If the horse is dead why do you keep coming back to the stable?? Next time bring a shove ,WE NEED THE HELP!

16. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

A picture speaks a 1000 words:

[​IMG]

You guys preaching it has to have shiny paint or it ain't traditional are just wrong, you really need go back and learn where jalopies and hot rodding originated from, you can yell it from the mountaintops, but anybody that can read and look at pictures and have been around the old timers and heard the history straight from the mouths of those who lived it, know's how it really was. Guys with not alot of money built cool rides out what they could scrounge up or fab, they built something to their vision on a minimal amount of money, and drove them and raced them. If they could afford paint fine, if not, no big deal. They had fun, didn't give a rats ass what other squares thought. They were riding! "Shiny paint doesn't give a Hot Rod soul," if you don't understand that, you don't get it. I like nice paint on certain cars, as much as anyone else. I grew up in a paint and body shop doing local custom paint and body, heavy collision, in my home town, guess what all my cars were in partial or full primer, works in progress I spent my money on going faster. I have had cars with nice paint as I got older, what I can afford at the time. Primer,patina,dull paint,shiny paint has been a part of Hot Rodding from day one, it's a fact, you will not change history know matter how much you scream it from the top of your lungs. Calling people names because they don't agree with your version of history just shows how uninformed you are about the history you claim to know. You certainly would'nt call Mr.Navarro those names would you? You guys need to grow up, go read about the history of hot rodding from the beginning. Read the Hamb rules about the name calling!
    Before you try to change history, you really need to go back and look through some of the archives on the Hamb then maybe it will become clear that shiny paint isn't the one thing that classifies a Hot Rod as cool.

17. Model T1

Model T1

I don't like to spread shit but I wondered that too. Why do members come on a thread if they don't like it?

Well, maybe I do like to spread shit! But that's not the point. ;)

FlynBrian I believe this is what I said except the part about creating new patina. Our patina was just old tired paint. Most of my early cars were multicolored because I needed the money for other thing instead of fancy paint even though I wanted a nice paint job.
    A roller or brush was not uncommon where I came from.

I believe threads like this are healthy and a way to voice our individual opinions. The name calling is just childish unless done in a joking manor.

18. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Well spoken Sir,
    Appreciate your view on the subject, we work with what we got to try and make what we think is cool for ourselves. I been known to drive multi-colored cars before, it's all I could afford at the time.

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

What part of FAKE don't you understand? FAKE PATINA was not on any of these cars. NONE. The beaters were being raced, NOT street driven! There is an enormous difference between street-driven cars and race cars, my friend. I see your point, I really do, but it seems that we are comparing apples to oranges. That photo you posted is of a vehicle that is NOT STREET LEGAL.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Faux Finish TIP: Soaking brass parts like old carburetors in horse urine will age it nicely. How you collect the urine is up to you.

21. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Isn't the patina on a Hot Rod supposed to be earned? Just like the Soul everybody says an original car has?
    Following that thought then, fake patina on a Brookville bodied car must be a double sin....

draggin49 likes this.
  22. the arguments are to my point, just think about this; a "new" shiny paint job is just as "fake" as a faked old paint job.
    real is a car preserved from whatever time period.

23. RayMiller

RayMiller

Your right no one is asking me or really you for that matter as to what traditional is I believe the original question was which takes longer to achieve. So in the spirit of saying this is all dumb in not arguing with you about what is traditional or hamb friendly and I'll agree that the fake patina isn't hamb appropriate but it isn't my car or your car or any of the other opinions on this post who own built or drive it. Would my car be shiny if I had the cash yea it would but I also have 2 kids and a slew of bills so worn out paint is all I have and I don't mind it but im not going to be pist because a dude with a ton of cash is going to give his finished car a fake paint job. It's like the fakey rockabilly folks who love the 50s music and lifestyle but only when it's convenient to suit their needs, not my scene but hey it keeps them happy so let it be. Sorry if all that sound very dick esq but damnit this used to be a place where we all could be able to express our visions for our projects wether 100% trad or not but lately the traditional cops have come out of the woodwork to bad doggy anyone who has a slight difference in opinion and kinda run people off and it's getting old.

24. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

That's the best comment yet.
    Ya know it makes you wonder if some of these guys are a little insecure about their own cars.
    OH LOOK they must be going to a gay pride parade .

Attached Files:

25. Master of None

Master of None

Would you quit poking the hornets' nest already!:D

27. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Did you read anything about fake patina in my post? You need to read before you post.:rolleyes:
    I can post pictures all day, doesn't matter if you don't get it. You will not change history. Many were street driven unfinished hot rods, open your eyes, like I said look through the Hamb archives, not every traditional hot rod had shiny paint back then:
    [​IMG]
    I grew up around old time hot rodders and they taught me respect, if I don't dig your hot rod I won't be an ass to you, I'll be respectful and keep my mouth shut. Everybody has different taste, it's that way now, and it was that way back then, you can't change it.:)

[​IMG]

28. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

But it's so much fun . sorta like watching a bunch of eight grade girls.
    As the Joker said to the Bat Man - why so SERIOUS

29. 46stude

46stude

For those of you too damned stupid to actually read & understand the original post, please read it again & try to get your heads out of your asses:

No where does he ask what your opinion on the paint finishes are. Shut the Hell up & quit wasting bandwidth because you think anybody here actually gives a fuck about your opinion.

I sure hope that wasn't too subtle.

30. ohhh i get it now! my answer is 6.