Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's Cadzilla doing at So-Cal Speed Shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

AMEN!! And who let all the kooks in the room?

2. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Once again, the bought vs. built argument raises its ugly head. Isn't it interesting that some people make snarky comments and turn up their noses at "checkbook" cars and the "gold chainers" who paid for them. Yet often they are the same ones who piss and moan if they have a hard time finding someone to pay their price when they are trying to sell their "owner-built" projects.

3. Exactly. Those are the guys who "Buy junk and sell antiques". Many of them (not all) are so narrow-minded when it comes to styles and love to preach that God-awful "traditional" term that they can't appreciate the car for it's craftsmanship. Bashing Boyd Coddington has been really popular on this site, and I think it's unwarranted. Sure, he made some high dollar cars with lots of billet, but he had an eye for style, and his attention to detail was outstanding. Did I like everything his shop put out? Not always. Did I appreciate the attention to detail and execution? Hell Yeah. I was over at Boyds when they were building Cadzilla, and the craftsmanship on that car is top-notch. By the same token, have you ever looked at a well-crafted lowrider show car? Sure, it gawdy, but the attention to detail is unreal. Would I build one? No. Do I appreciate them? Hell yeah.

I've been building cars for over 30 years, and if I won the lottery, I'd be like George Poteet. I'd have a car being built in every corner of the country. My biggest concern would be which car I was going to drive everyday.

4. I think this is a great question. I think Boyd is a pioneer, a man that started building rods in his garage making his own one off parts. I even saw a thread where Jesse James was plugging one of his crappy ass reality shows and he even bashed Boyd in his thread, the man that employed him at one time. Jesse James of all people, you know the arragant asshole that used to build motorcycles until the bottom fell out and now he builds hot rods, hell I didnt even think he was aloud to make a comment with out Wal-marts permission, because you would think that they owned his ass. I think they sold more of his stuff than he has.

5. Being 8 and watching this car in HRM it was more than just the metal work. Albeit amazing, it was the trim, the glass, every part custom made. It absolutely blew me away that such a task could even be accomplished. I mean really, does any one here know where to get a laminated windshield made from scratch? It gave the guys working in thier garage inspiration. So to me that is what makes it one of the icons. You say cadzilla to any car guy 30 years old or older and he knows exactly what you're talking about. Whether you like the car or not. It deserves a certain amount of respect. My $.02

6. Oh, but no, I have no idea why it is at so cal.

7. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Like imite....whatever...alluted to, after all these years Cadzilla is still getting a responce. Good looking, well designed, nicely built cars, will do this no matter what.
    Some responces good, some bad.
    Still love the Eliminator Coupe, total street rod, but the biggest "old" car influence at that time that meant anything to me.

P.S. The first 3 songs on ZZ Tops Eliminator album are, in my opinion, pure road rocking tunes, the BEST EVER.

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

It's that fucker Harrison's fault !!!

Rich

9. When So-Cal finishes what they have to do, it'll roll next door to Mick Jenkin's shop where it will get the full repaint. It's in good hands, Mick is an amazing painter.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Bashing high dollar cars, is the new "patina".

11. csclassics

csclassics

thats one of my all time fav cutoms!!

12. I thought it was a simple question ... :p;):eek:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. This car really made an impression on me!:)
    I would not have bought my Cadillac, if I hadn't seen Cadzilla. I happened upon it in a field right after Cadzilla was done.
    The thing about Gold Chainers is that they pay the really talented guys to push the envelope. This in turn gives us do it yourselfers ideas that we can use for our builds.
    I like the car and the only opinion that really matters is mine!;)

~Alden

14. AG F/C

AG F/C

Mick has already nubbed and rubbed it. It was nubbed in the OP's photo. Only needed to finish rubbing it at that time.

15. JESSEJAMES

JESSEJAMES

Fuck You.

Weeks46 likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: A very classy reply, right up there with the way you live your life.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I don't know Jesse personally but this I would think is uncalled for. I wish I had a touch of his skills.

Weeks46 likes this.
  18. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Oh boy, here we go. Post getting locked in 3-2-1.

Hey, Jesse, before we go, what's up, man? Long time no talk.

How's Texas?

19. Mojo

Mojo

That car blew me away when I saw it in the magazine. I saw it a few years ago at the Petersen, it was absolutely stunning. Every shape on that car is perfect, not a bad angle on it. Perfect, tight curves. The color was amazing... it went from the deepest perfect black to a deep intense purple on the crowns. I liked the paint chips and scratches... it was a real, driven car.

20. Mojo

Mojo

Also, the lighting at the Petersen is just horrible. I couldn't get a decent picture of that car, or anything else there, to save my life. They need to take a hint from the NHRA museum down the road... that place has great lighting.

21. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

This thread has been quite entertaing, The FNG's are really stirring the pot, haha. I want to know how this thread turned into a bashing of past and future legends of this hobby of ours??
    I had a glass shop back in the day and I did alot of work for Boyd (before he burned me) at the time it was being built. Although I did not do any work on the car I did enjoy watching the build and still admire it today.

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

lots of people on this board have been in business with boyd coddington. if they wanted to comment on their personal experience with him, that's up to them, and this ain't the place to do it.

cadzilla rules, that's all that matters in this thread...

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Iconic car and please keep this thread clean?

24. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

:D a most entertaining thread

25. Dar73

Dar73

Beautiful car. It took incredible talent to dream up and create this work of art. Instead of leering into other peoples wallets with such insecurity and jealousy, applaud the one's that have the balls to finance such an endevour.

PS. Crusing in the 32', streaming ZZ Top on Pandora......Life is good!

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love old cars.... hot rods... customs... People sometimes ruin all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.