Register now to get rid of these ads!

Choppin the top on my '51

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgbcmb, Jul 3, 2012.

1. sgbcmb

sgbcmb

Hey guys. I'm gonna have the top chopped on my '51 shoebox. I know my limitations and am not planning on attempting this on my own. I live in Indiana and am looking for a shop that would be able to do the chop and do it right. I would like to stay here in Indiana but would be willing to go into neighboring states (KY, IL, MI, OH). Does anyone know of a good shop around here to do this?

Also I was thinking it was going cost around $5000. Is that reasonable or am I way off?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

• 243.JPG
      243.JPG
      File size:
      215 KB
      Views:
    • 244.JPG
      244.JPG
      File size:
      231.1 KB
      Views:
  2. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

DaTinman in Central IL might be able to help you or you can talk to GodSpeed in IN .????

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Dave Kinnaman -north of Anderson, west of Muncie. He's been doing excellent custom work for many years. Just chopped a '53 Merc 2 door. 765-378-5555.

4. sgbcmb

sgbcmb

Thanks for the help guys!

5. I've thought about that same thing for my '49. Keep us posted with pics!!!

6. throttlein

throttlein

You can do it!

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Be sure to discuss what's included in the price, because there is a lot of work
    in the incidentals (vent, wings, stainless, interior moldings, etc.) that may or may not be included in the estimate.

Nice looking shoe, BTW.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

make sure you do your homework on the shop or guy you use and ask lots of questions and try and see some pics of their work...

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That kind of price you might get bodywork and paint match. Done out the door. $.02

10. Exactly. Chopping it is the easy part.

11. I would also discuss in detail what kind of chop you're looking for. Lay the rear window down or move it forward; if you move the rear window forward you'll need to fill the sail panel or extend the trunk; lean the B pillars or straight, or hardtop it. Do a ton of research before you cut a nice car.

12. sgbcmb

sgbcmb

This definitely helps and gives me a good start. I'm new to this so any info helps. Thanks again guys.

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

there is a bunch of threads on here about shoebox chops. do some searching and see what style you like and how much you want it cut... you have a beautiful car, and ive seen roofs destroyed from chopping attempts...there is a lot of work involved for a nice clean job. get references from other guys who have had work done..its a big step, do your homework, my buddy had anxiety and was sick to his stomach until we got his roof back on and all done:rolleyes:

14. Good luck, just make sure that if you reuse any stock glass like the back window, make sure it fits good with a gasket. :)

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

In NJ, $5K wouldn't get that back in paint.

Your car looks wicked nice man. Seriously. Looks like a DONE car. Chopping the top is gonna screw it all up, I promise. The body needs to be braced, doors off, all interior out, not to mention the inherent reality of hot work on a painted car... forget it. If you're looking to chop the top, you better be thinking complete repaint. And then your budget of $5,000 is totally blown out of the water.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but those are my honest thoughts.

16. EBW

EBW

Beautiful 51 !!

17. hell-boy

hell-boy
    from indiana

definetely godspeed rides in brownsburg. he is kulturepimp on here. bad-ass for sure.

18. bjinatj

bjinatj

Have you seen the Merc? It looks pretty slick. I have been pushing him to fastback that 50 Pontiac out back. That one I cannot wait for.

-Ronnie

19. hell-boy

hell-boy
    from indiana

areyou gonna chop this car or sell it?