Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

You're getting good at this chassis fab stuff...almost a shame it has to go on the bottom. You could try this...

[​IMG]

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hands down one of the Koolest 'T' sedans on the HAMB so far- the proportions are right on- the flatty is bitchin', and the ya nailed the stance kid. Way to go! Makes me want to build one- I'll just have to follow the steps on this thread...

3. oldsboy

oldsboy

Haha Thanks Joe, where did you come across this ^^^ picture?

I am now though considering re-installing the original plate with the emergency bracket on it, since my over engineering of the rear end has been simplified drastically....

Thanks Pinstriper, its been quite a process but I feel like its coming together after all.

4. oldsboy

oldsboy

Here are some updated photos from last weekends big push...

Just to keep this up to date. Its not perfect but with a little massaging I'm hoping to get it close; at least for not knowing what I'm doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The A piller is the only "DONE" part of the chop [forgive the bird droppings]. As of now the exterior is welded up, because I still have to split the door tops and above the rear windows. That will come later on....as for now on with the chassis.

5. chopperdog2001

chopperdog2001
    from colorado

Looks awesome your doing a great job! i have the same car with same chop!! keep up the good work!!!!!

6. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Hey, those c-pillars look great. Keep it up!

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lookin good!

8. shane85

shane85

9. oldsboy

oldsboy

Found an afternoon to take a look at the rear shocks. It was pretty warm but I had some help from my Grandfather so the work was a little easier with an extra set of hands.

Not to mention he came up with the shock mounting idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    mock up.

[​IMG]
    was a frozen shock arm...

[​IMG]
    now axle shock mount.

[​IMG]
    installed.

[​IMG]

FYI the "C - notch" in the fish-plate will be finished soon. I'm going to take care of that when I disassemble the chassis down to the frame and put it back on the welding table....

Shadow Creek likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

good thinking! aught to look sharp. ive got the fronts and backs off the ford if you end up needed another set or a pair that mount slightly differently

11. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Great build and thread. I was wondering where your fuel tank is going? I am building a 26 Sedan and the fuel tank is the one problem I have not figured out since I plan on utilizing the original rear seat. Keep up the good work, very helpful!

12. sololobo

sololobo

KIller! ~sololobo~

13. rotenjon

rotenjon

I too am building a Tudor and used the original under cowl area for battery, heater and electrical so to solve my fuel tank problem i bought the 99$ speedway luggage rack and mounted a 15 gal. oldstyle beer keg. :cool:

14. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks guys, glad to see some more Tudor's being build.

But I'm not too sure what the plan is for the gas tank yet. However I know I'm not running a back seat so that may help my situation a little more. The plan thus far, know it might change; will go front seats, early 40's ammo boxes for storage and battery then probably mount the gas tank which as of now will be just an old moon replica....we'll see.

15. Koz

Koz

Super sweeet fab work. I can't wait to see this one on the road. The details are what makes any rod. Keep after the little stuff and the rest takes care of itself. I've been watching and the proportions are spot on.

Keep bangin!

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Build a gas tank shaped like a back seat and through some padding on it ala moon shine cars ;)

brEad likes this.
  17. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

That's hilarious.

I dig the shock mounts, very clean.

18. KCsledz

KCsledz

Wow! Taking your time and doing things right is paying off. Is that a solid enough connection where the shock mounts hit the axel housing?

19. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks KC, the details are part of the fun of building the car I'm coming to find out.

I'm thinking it should be but we'll see. It'll have a good inch and a half of solid weld on each side of the lever where it hits the axle tube. Ill post some pictures after its finished.

20. oldsboy

oldsboy

Kept on it this weekend and was able to finish up a few small details, i.e. brakes, e-brake mount and reverse sectioned the firewall to account for the addition to the cowl...slowly and I say slowly it seems like its getting there.

I have a steering setup in the works so in the next month something will happen with that as soon as I tackle the frame. In the mean time, its the small things that are getting wiped out.

Brakes.
    [​IMG]

Emergency Handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firewall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran out of time as it needs to be finished, but the test fit looked good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadow Creek likes this.
  21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great man!!

22. oldsboy

oldsboy

Steering:

I have to say this effort all came from the great tech articles posted by Chris Casny. However I wanted to attempt to utilize the look of an old for steering arm so this is what I've come up with. It can still be broken down, but it should be able to handle the stresses of a steering arm.

Components:

'40 Ford Pitman Arm
    '37 Ford steering shaft
    1-very large machined bushing
    (2) 1/4" x 4" Plates
    1 - 2-1/4" tube
    6 grade 8 bolts

This is all mock up since I don't have access to my welder yet, but I think you can get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm now working on a design for the steering rack this will be housed in, that'll be the next post if all things go accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  23. Lamb

Lamb

love your chop oldsboy, bang on.

24. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

nice work all round,,,my t coupe is chopped 6 1/2 " with the same sectioned header,,,,and its a damn tight fit for me and im 5' 10" with boots on!,,,, those tapered quarter windows and garnishes will try your patience a little but the effect is worth it,,,i was a little aprehensive when i first read the amount you wished to chop it, and nearly posted to try and talk you out of it,,but obviously a young man of considerable talent and a clear vision of what he wants ,and your vision is sublime,,,ive a 37 xmember A rails and sedan ready for my next project and i thought i was being original!!!!,,,damn you olds boy im now just another pretender!!!!! seriously real nice work!!!! subscribed!

brEad likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lookin good :)

26. RichG

RichG

Beautiful car, just absolutely beautiful. Nice work!

27. You never chop a --"t"-- f---up the look !!! Jmfo

28. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I have not chopped my 26 Sedan, but thats my choice. Think I am going to keep back seat, but move it forward and put the gas tank behind it. I will post pics when I get to that stage. Good thread.

29. Oh. Okay.

30. oldsboy

oldsboy

Unfortunately I'm too big regardless of a chop or not. These cars are small for a 6'0 fella.
    However it sounds like you know what you want, good luck! Thanks for checking out the build. Love to see some pics of your build!
    Thanks for the support guys.