Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A water radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VSO737, Jul 1, 2012.

1. VSO737

VSO737

Need opinion-

For a SBC, 327CI motor..................Running a stock grill and want the stock 1930 Model A look with fenders all around.

¿ Is it better to re-core/upgrade a STOCK Model A radiator OR purchase a new one?

I'm sure someone has "been there, done that" on this one...........

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

Buy a new, QUALITY(Walker, etc.) radiator. You won't be sorry in the end.

3. onelowc10

onelowc10

I bought the aluminum Griffin from speedway havent had a problem with cooling but the tab at the top for the rods is starting to rip off. But I dont have the fenders to hold the shell tighter so i'm sure thats why.

4. A few questions you need to ask yourself,

1. Do you want to run the stock cap?
    The aftermarket radiators will have a dummy cap on top (if you choose that option) but the fill cap will be under the hood. Also the stock radiators run zero pressure which would be fine for most stock sbc set-ups.

2. Do you want to make up new tubes for the lower hose.
    The stock outlet is on the drivers side and the sbc is on the pass side, so you either have to make a hokey pipe/hose set-up or have the radiator shop spin the bottom tank and reverse the pipe.

3. Do you care about the old look.
    You'll lose the look of the old fin/tube (look at the old radiator and look at a new car) and since it's also the grill it's front and center.

If you do go with a new one get a good quality one, US Radiator, Brass Works is a vender here and then Walker. Don't fall for the super cheap aluminum ones on ebay.

5. odins701

odins701

6. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

Have your radiator guy use the top and bottom of the original.

7. VSO737

VSO737

I have the STOCK radiator. I want the STOCK look but with MODERN cooling capability.

Aside from purchasing a replica, can I get a GREAT functional radiator by having mine UPGRADED-maybe even better than the replicas ?

I guess what I need to know is .......HAS ANYONE UPGRADED their STOCK radiator ?

I hate to have this one go to waste and especially since it is in pretty good condition and has all the mounting points that I need.

I plan on taking mine to a radiator shop and see what they say...............
    Just curious if anyone "has been down this road before"...................

Thanks for all the input,
    Mike

8. VSO737

VSO737

[​IMG]

Has anyone UPGRADED this radiator??

I'm thinking of reversing the bottom tank and placing the inlet on the opposite side to accommodate the SBC motor.

Also installing the best core money can buy..................

Any thoughts highly appreciated............if you have already done this, the more info the better.

THanks again,
    Mike

9. odins701

odins701

keep in mind a stock radiator was design to cool a 4 banger.. the walkers look original but function like modern. Sell the old one to someone running stock or 4-6 cylinder. Are you going to run an automatic trans? if so, what about cooling the trany? You can get that built in to a new one.

10. odins701

odins701

Double up on the cores... your cooling twice the motor! ;)

11. The re-core will cool the sbc but you'll lose old look of the fins with the re-core. Also you'll have a zero lb cap (which should be fine here in coastal Ca. I was going for the same idea but found 8-10 year old UNUSED US Radiator at LARS.

12. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Get a 12" piece of 2"copper pipe or 1-3/4", i forget, a couple of hose pieces for the bottom & you could run that stock radiator the way it is. If it leaks, fill it back up. If you start crying about any problems after that, then go by that $1000 radiator. This 350/350/1929 radiator roadster ran at 170 degrees up Viva LV & back with no lip.

Attached Files:

13. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's an old dirt track trick for running a stock "A radiator with a modern engine and still keeping the water in it. The "A" radiator will take up to 2lbs pressure. It's not 15LBs like the new guys but it helps. The trick is to attache a 2LB residual brake pressure valve to the end of the overflow tube. This adds a little presure to the system plus keeping the water from boiling out.