Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 f1 gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

"If it wasn't a gasser, it can never be a gasser", Mean Gene, you really mean that? Does that mean the GM plant and Ford and Willy's all built gassers and sold them in the showroom.? Any gasser built is an original, whether 30 years ago or yesterday.

The guy asked for pictures, and knowledge, not some pontificating from a wanabe.

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Gassers were and still are really great drag cars ! They are a huge part of the racing world and history . I will also be building a gasser this winter BUT from a 1950 Ford , NOT A PICK-UP ! P/Us are much better for pulling or mud bogging but not as a Gasser !
    Personally I would build it into a really nice kustom truck . Maybe a little lower than a stock truck and a really nice cruiser .
    I just think someone is really going the wrong way wanting to build a gasser from a truck ! There are lots of cars out there for cheap that would make much better gassers that a great Ford F1 !
    Also please do something different that the usual SBC or SBF engine set-up . Use a damn big block like they were meant to have . That's a very heavy truck and needs power to get it down the track ! That means real HP and not the use of a turbo or nitrous .
    Of course a Huffer or Injector stacks sticking out the top of the hood would really look great too ! :D
    I don't have any pictures , but you can check East Coast Gassers and they will have the rules to go by for racing in an event on their web site so you will have an idea on what to build it with . Make sure you have a real straight axel set up in front the proper way , proper engine set back , well built big block , shatter proof trans shields , drive shaft safety hoop , grounded fuel cells , well made roll cage for the times and speeds you will be running , strong Ford 9" rear with 4.56 to 5.56 rear gears , well made long ladder bars , battery shut off at rear of truck , fuel shut off is good to have as well , replace all the glass in the truck if original safety glass , good switch panel for your electronics with fuses for each switch . If using a auto trans you must have a shifter that has a reverse lock out for safety . Also buy a NHRA rule book to follow your build guide lines with since most all race tracks are NHRA or IHRA ruled . Of course you must have good safety equipment like fire extinguisher , 5 point safety harness that has a good code a good helmet . Remember safety is the first rule on building a drag car/truck .
    I hope this will give you some ideas on what all goes into building a safe . There is more you need to do but this is a start . You have to think out everything you do when building a gasser ! Good luck with your build and hope to see some pictures of the gasser too !
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Ted over at Absolute Customs did a great job on that truck. I thought I had more pics of it, but that's all I could dig up. :cool:

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Here, let me fix that for you. "guys will hesitate to post this kind of crap". See, a couple subtle changes, and it all makes sense...

5. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Whatever your buddy decides make sure he puts on fake spindle mounts, all the real gassers nowadays run them.:rolleyes:

6. codeblu

codeblu

Didn't all "Gassers" have wide whites on Radir wheels...?

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Used to be a late 40's Ford PU running around town with a shortened wheelbase and trailer type fenders. Nose up with fenderwell headers and a BBC engine. It reminded me of the few old Willys gasser PU's that I saw in racing back in the 60's.
    There was also a '49 Ford PU with a '41 Willys tilt frontend for sale I saw somewhere last year. At first glance with the wing windows removed, the short box, and the Willys frontend it sure could pass as one!
    I think if your friend wants to do a F1 as a gasser he needs to remove the stock rear fenders and shorten both the wheelbase and the box, then get a pair of round trailer fenders to fit whatever tires he'll be running. Even with the stock cab and frontend it would make a good gasser style vehicle then.
    Tell him to build something along the lines of this one, only with a Ford:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDUgWcmfWDA

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just read this. Hmmm.Lemme see if I have this straight... so the guy who owns 2 406 galaxies, and enough 427 ford blocks to outfit a small fleet is a wanabe, and the guy building a "gasser" with an EFI small-block ford is the real deal? Oooookay. Guess that kinda puts your comments in the appropriate perspective.

9. Beau

Beau

^^ Someone needs to take advantage of the legalized marijuana up there in BC :)

A big block would be ideal for the gasser. Seeing a gasser with a wimpy, quiet little engine is kind of disappointing.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry bud, drug/alcohol free for a long time now, and its not "legal up there in BC". You might want to take at least a couple hours between tooting up and posting.:p

More like your buddy thats calling Gene a "wanabe" has already been hitting the BC bud a little heavy. Long term THC use DOES have an effect on the ol' brain cells, might have something to do with alot of the content on this thread...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  11. 46stude

46stude

To avoid any confusion, I mentioned the 302 in my previous post. Apprently the OP's buddy is planning to run a 5.3 Chebby engine- if I read that right.

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Stirring the pot :)

Farmers like to go fast too

Gasser trucks come from the farmer that didn't want to put a jet engine in his tractor

Attached Files:

13. Gator

Gator

'Gasser look' - it's the new 'Bobber truck'

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I "wanabe"- skinnier :eek:
    Then I could get outa the Falcon a little easier- gettin' in is easy- gettin' back out at 6'2" and 255 is a beyotch :(
    That thing sure has a lotta them tubey things in it- whatzat SFI 25.4 thingy it'll pass? I "wanaknow" ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.