Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ohio fan

ohio fan

Dorus Wisecarver was from Zanesville Ohio.Seen him race many times in the Zanes area. His usual# was 101 but was #41 when he raced in ARCA. In the second pic on Vegas Oldtimers post thats him in the #41 Ford behind #62.

2. ohio fan

ohio fan

3. ohio fan

ohio fan

Hi Mazooma 1
    Was that Western Speedway used in the stock car movie Red Line 7000? The part where a driver was trying to get a ride on a team after another driver had gotten killed.

4. southern indiana fan

southern indiana fan
    from 2012

If this has been posted before sorry as I'm new to this board. Jeff Droke has a web site www.grandnationaleast.com which shows results of grand national east races from 1972 and 73. The only race shown at Hberg was a combined ARCA/GNE race on august 2 1973 won by Tom Colella (sp) in the same car Bob Senneker won a race later at Marne Michigan. Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, along with ARCA drivers Bobby Watson, A Arnold, Ron Hutcherson and 73 GNE champ Tiny Lund. I'm wondering if the race you are talking about was an ARCA stand alone race or even an outlaw race. Note Jeff Droke also has another web site www.nashville420.com I finally got all the way to the end and upon farther review with the race being in 1970 it may have been a NASCAR GA/GT race for the pony cars of the day. Note results posted later in this forum

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

[​IMG]
    Soon (again)
    [​IMG]

6. mread5238

mread5238

I am looking for photos from the late 70s and early 80s from illiana speedway in schererville, indiana . Car 26 camaro. Driver norm read.

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

70s & 80s are too new for this forum. Check over at www.dogfight.com under "Historic Stock Car" thread. Gene

8. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

C5, your progress on your HM Galaxy is looking great. Haven't seen any pictures of the engine yet, how's that coming? Been pretty hot here in our area of the country, hope you all are staying cool and enjoying the Summer.

John

9. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, The pieces/parts for the 427 High Riser are off at the machine shop back in FL (Powered by Ford in Orlando). I will be picking them up for assembly back home in TX after the dust settles in my shop. I've got four engines to build for various projects (the 427, a hotted up 428, a 351C 4V and a 351 4V Windsor), so I have been waiting until the Galaxie is done so I can scrub the place and put all four together. The engine will be basically a stock HR with modern (read: lighter weight) JE 12:1 pistons and a more modern cam profile (Comp Cams 282/571). I was going to run Crower rods...until I got a killer deal on a set of NOS (still in the box with paper strip) LeMans rods. (Heavy, I know...but durable...with new bolts, natch). I have the correct 4V NASCAR intake for the engine along with all of the rest of the correct period bit and pieces, to include cowl induction. The foundation will be a .030 over C4 block with ProGram caps and a C5 steel crank. Due to the car's planned road course work, I will be running a "T" pan. So that will be a deviation from NASCAR stock. The same basic set up with MR heads in my '65 H&M Lorezen Galaxie made about 525 HP on the dyno. It will be interesting to see how the stock (NOS/uncut) HRs perform. I am not shooting for peak HP as vintage racing is akin to Civil War re-enacting. Its all about the sights and sounds.

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

For those of you that still remember him, ol' Hershel McGriff ran in the K&N West series race at Infineon raceway yesterday. He finished 18th. He must be well up in his 80s now.

11. Hershel McGriff
    Born: December 14, 1927
    Home: Bridal Veil, OR

84 years

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Hershel_McGriff

12. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

C5, really like how methodic your build is coming along, and appreciate you sharing pictures and historical info with us here at this blog. Now you mentioned you have four engines. Will that be for changing at various historic race venues? Also, this line; I am not shooting for peak HP as vintage racing is akin to Civil War re-enacting. Its all about the sights and sounds. Yup. Sight and sound is a huge part of this sport, and I love it. Keep the pictures coming, when you can. And of course, great job. :D

John

13. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, Just the 427 HR for the Galaxie. The other three engines are for other projects. THANKS for the props!
    Here is what the High Riser will look like in war paint:
    [​IMG]

14. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

:D I love it. That looks like a young Dan Gurney there. God, he's just a kid. Hey, are those factory cast iron headers?

15. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John that is Daniel Sexton Gurney. Glen Wood, looking equally youthful, is leaning on the fender. Ford stock cars did not pick-up tubluar steel headers until the early part of the 1965 NASCAR season.

16. CHUCK STARK

CHUCK STARK

John, are you the famous dr. John craft of super ford mag? You left a note on talladega many years ago in the infield of daytons speedway. We had a nice chat after that. Think you "t" had a set of noisy rhodes lifters in it, correct? Chuck stark

17. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Chuck, It could just be that infamous is a better fit for me.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I received news today that Dan Wright, known on here as Allstarracing, passed away on Sunday, July 1. RIP, Old Friend.

19. Falconred

Falconred

Another "Brother in Racing" lost. RIP, you will be missed.

20. Falconred

Falconred

While I'm on here, I have a bone to pick! Several folks complained about not being able to post later model stock car photos on this site, well, a place was provided on the dogfightmag site for that. The stock car topic is only 13 pages while the vintage oval track modifieds topic is 188 pages, OK folks, step up, we are getting left behind!

http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/showthread.php?573-Historic-Stock-Car-Photos

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I dunno what else to do, Falconred. Did the same thing on Track Forum and I posted all of mine from here, but it's fading, too.

22. Falconred

Falconred

How about giving me a link to the Track Forum you mentioned and I'll check it out.

23. Ed Duncan

Ed Duncan

The infield picture that has cars # 43,41,31 & 10 is Old Bridge

24. southern indiana fan

southern indiana fan
    from 2012

Must have been sudden or unexpected. I just saw him Friday June 29th at the slot car track in Bullitt County Kentucky and except for saying something about back trouble he seemed fine. I remember him when he owned Allstar auto parts (salvage yard) helping racers and some of their crews street cars with good prices on parts. RIP Dan

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

www.trackforum.com. Try Danny B's forum.

26. I'm posting these pics for "jonzcustomshop" Don't really know how historic they'd be, but a better clapped out 4 door racer would be hard to find.:D
    Hope they help.

27. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Heres a few API photos I bought at a garage sale several years ago: Description is from 1st to last from print! LeeRoy Yarbrough 11/15/70 At Rockingham, Pedro Rodriquez spins Benny Parsons in Ontario during Miller 500, Leeroy Yarbrough and Bobby Allison watch. AJ Foyt won the race.2/28/71, 5/16/71 Petty flips at Talladega, he was unhurt. 8/16/70 Cambridge Station, MI Charlie Glotzback on his way to the win, 9/4/70 Glotzbach shows how to do it in Darlington, he started 4th. 7/11/70 Wendall Scott flips during qualifing for the Schaefer 300 at Trenton NJ fairgrounds, he was not injured. 8/30/70 again at Trenton NJ Al Tasnady spins at 200 mile National open Championship for modified sportsmen, race was won by Ray Henderick. 7/12/70 Benny Parsons spins during 300 mile race in Trenton NJ and still finished 7th behind Petty who won. Petty in winners circle after Dixie 500 getting oxygen. 8/23/70 #40 Pete Hamilton wins Talladega after leading most of race, was driving for Petty team.8/28/70 at Indy fairgrounds Jack Bowsher right front leads the field during first lap of State Fair Century Race. 8/28/70 Don White gets Victory Kiss after wing race at Indy State Fair.

28. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Don White missed that one...:D

29. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

30. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Historical question:

When did NASCAR standardize the rotation of the roof numbers (bottom on drivers side)?

Thanks,
    Marty