Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help from England PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boston terrier, Jun 28, 2012.

1. boston terrier

boston terrier
    from England

Hi Guys i am trying to get in touch with 68427vette regarding his Nash he has for sale, but i can get no reply from emails or pm's, i am wondering if its because i am in the UK.

If anyone could contact him for me to make him aware i am interested in his car, thank you

2. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Story of my life, I often wonder for the same reason. I`d understand if I was from Nigeria. Must suck to be Nigerian and trying to order something online or to try and give a long lost relative their inheritance.

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

There is a guy that is running England's good name down into the ground. He has scammed quite a few on here so folks are very leary....

4. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

how about just contacting first a guy in your country who is a well known hamb member to verify that you are "real" and not a scammer. sucks that the scammers have ruined possible sales if this is a legit person trying to buy a vehicle.

5. boston terrier

boston terrier
    from England

Thanks Guys, surely if i was going to scam somebody i would choose a higher value item.
    I have left him my personnel email and phone number, what more can i do.

Surely an email ending btinternet.com looks legit.

any help would be very much appreciated, i have bought cars from the USA no problem before

6. pumpman

pumpman

It is a problem unfortunately, I would do what "DJLATIN" suggests. The fact that you are a FNG ( no disrespect intended ) doesn't help either. My other recommendation would be to become an Alliance member. Best $50.00 bucks I ever spent.

7. boston terrier

boston terrier
    from England

Could nobody from the States just email or pm for me to tell him i am interested, not to much to ask surely??

thank you Mark

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

With what info?

You P/M'd and Emailed him, so he knows you are interested.

If he chooses to not respond, I guess you have your answer.

9. Mark
    it may be that the fella is not going to contact us either, or like has been said it could be that he is just leery. Maybe get with one of the fellas on your side of the pond so that can stand up for ya like has been suggested.

Here is where you are at. One is that some of the fellas put stuff up for sale and never bother getting back with people or it gets sold and they don't bother marking it as such. Since it is sold they don't see the need to get back with you.

The other thing that you are up against is that there are some folks in England that make their living cheating people in America (and probably other countries). To us even though there are some good people on the HAMB that are in England; the country has become the new Nigeria. These fellas are not hitting us for big ticket items as a rule a couple of hundred here, another couple hundred there, they can easily rake in a thousand dollars a day. You can understand why we are leery of people from your side of the ocean.

As I said there are some fellas with a good reputation here on the HAMB and if you can get with one of them and get them to vouch for you then you will have gotten the chance to prove yourself.

10. The "English" guy who's been ripping people off lately is not actually from England.

There are plenty of HAMBers who will simply not deal with anyone outside "the lower 48". I even have a US postal address and some guys (and companies) won't ship to me if they know the final destination is outside the US.

11. The guy never did an intro, only posts in the classifieds, basically USES the HAMB as a personal selling place with no regard towards contributing anything to the culture of the HAMB. My guess is either he doesn't want to sell overseas or has sold it, and in either case can't be bothered to answer you.

12. My guess is either he doesn't want to sell overseas or has sold it.

13. boston terrier

boston terrier
    from England

He does not even respond to my friend in Oakland who emailed and pm him

14. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Hey mate, it's a real shame folks have become (understandably) wary of people from the UK, however, turn it arround the other way and do you want to deal with someone who doesnt respond to your emails? When buying from overseas I'm always far more comfortable when lines of communication are nice & open!
    Good luck

15. it is vacation time.

16. I personally dont like dealing outside of the US, not because of the guy, but rather the hoops I have to jump though shipping it. One time you go in, its nothing more than a paper you sign, then the next time its an effen book you fill out.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm in England and I've found 99% of Americans easy to deal with, I'm always up front with info etc etc.

18. I've purchased a number of cars from your side of the pond and had them shipped over to the UK, from a sellers point of view it can be easier than sending parts!

75% of the enquiries I have made in the past have gotten responses, from there I've got landline phone numbers, not cells, called up and mostly had very enjoyable conversations which have lead to me bank transfering some reasonable sums of cash. Once thats been recieved I arrange a collection. The last deal I did with BOBWOP the truck arrived to collect only 4 hours later! Job done.

It can be real easy and satisfying but as with all walks of life there can be dicks who want to scam because they're pond scum!

Most of these scams are fairly easy to spot if you check out the contacts and bank transfers are good, once it's in your account nobody else can take it!

19. there are also a lot of "tire kickers" on the internet. have found that it removes a lot of them by ignoring them for a few days. if someone really wants something he'll come back again. some guys will pester you for weeks on end wanting picture after picture and then disappear into thin air.

and sad but true as it has already been mentioned there is always a bit of "scum" in every pond.

HotRodDean is spot on with his advise, I'd listen to it if in your shoes.