Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a '55 buick.. need some insight..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bhead1968, Jun 2, 2012.

1. bhead1968

bhead1968
    from so-fla

I finally got my first vintage vehicle, i was looking at lowering it a bit and may go the mild custom route. I have explored bagging it, but having something lowered the "old" way seems a bit more appealing to me. My '55 buick is bone stock and I would like to find out what options i would have to lower it. With that said, how many inches would be "Safe"? I plan on riding the piss out of it and want to insure i wont have to be driving sideways over speed bumps at 2mph.

Thanks in advance..

bh

2. Butch11443

Butch11443

I believe the Buick is coils front & rear. Can heat, or cut them. Also, can order custom springs to lower it. I defnitely would not lower it past the scrub line.
    Butch

3. bhead1968

bhead1968
    from so-fla

Yup, should have mentioned that. I've seen the Heating method, but doesnt that compromise the actual steel in the spring and make it more "loose"... i think there was a term or something on how it effects the performance of the spring. Cutting seems a cheap and easy way, but how much?..

thanks again.

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Cant cut the rear springs as they are pigtailed on the ends-meaning the coils wrap tighter on the ends where they mount. You can heat/collapse them, use clamps to collapse them, or just order lower springs.
    Ordering lower springs usually results in the best situation as theyold springs are usually shot anyhow.
    Lowering the front has some slight issues with alignment if lowered excessively, causing tire wear etc...
    Rear springs are easy to swap out, fronts take a little more effort.

5. domepiece

domepiece

remove the coils and cut a 1/4 coil at a time. With a grinder and a cutoff wheel. Do all of them at the same time. Put them back in and go drive it around. If not happy with how low it is then just repeat the process. It will take awhile if you have to do it a couple times but it's definately cheaper and faster then cutting to much and haveing to locate and buy new springs. You may have to get shorter shocks once its all said and done.

heating springs will weaken them where they were heated and they will eventually break. It changes the spring rate of the spring itself.

good luck.

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

My vote is for new springs....those originals have been in there since "Day One"... They deserve a retirement.....

4TTRUK

7. 41super

41super

Used Fatmans dropped spindles on the front and new springs 2" shorter on the back to lower my 55 Buick Special.

8. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

78 Malibu rear springs bolt in, and drop the back about 3 inches

BensonStripes! likes this.
  9. BensonStripes!

BensonStripes!

Anyone know if the front springs on the '55 are the same as '53? "OEM" springs from places like Kanter are ridiculous. (Sorry for the brief hi-jack.)

10. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I suggest using Jamco Springs. They are made for the car and you can order them in 1"-3" shorter versions.

Here is my 56 with 3" lowered springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. O'Doyle

O'Doyle

I second the Jamco springs method. Put 3" drops in my 55 and I'm really happy with the new ride height. Springs and shocks took a while to get to me but well worth the wait.
    This is the only shots I've got so far but will take some side on shots this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

O'Doyle

12. hustler1984

hustler1984
    from lindsay ca

I cut my coils in the beginning and it looked awesome but rides like crap, I would recommend fatman spindles and scarebird disk brake upgrade if you had the 700 to spend. I ended up bagging mine in the end

Attached Files:

13. I built a 56 Convertible and used stock 305 springs from a 1978 Olds Cutlass, no chopping, rode great and dropped 3 inches as well...

14. kosnmotion

kosnmotion
    from Phoenix

Did you have to modify anything else? Do you still have room and not have to cut the front bump stops? Thanks. looking to put these in mt 55 this weekend

15. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I have a 59 buick and took the rear springs out and visited the wrecking yard. They had a rack full of springs off of various cars. I found some the height I wanted and pigtail configuration that I needed. Cost $20.00. Rides great.Dropped it about 6-7" in the rear. I dropped the spring pockets in front. I made spacers out of 1" square tubing.