Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Yes, I think this photo was posted earlier, and WCD or someone identified then also. Sorry, it takes me a few........ thanks; Tom S.

2. christmas tree

christmas tree

The coupe was driven by Sam Jones of Washington Indiana and was sold and reaquired by Sam a few years ago and was restored to its 1963 appearance.n Stop by Sams place and take a trip down memory lane.

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

4. WCD

WCD

Give the man a cigar. It is Binns. He ran a lot of Garlits chassis', uncluding a RED model in late '71. I think he finished off his career with a Pinto F/C that he matched raced around his state.

5. Desert-Express

Desert-Express

Dave Strickler "Old Reliable"

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

Clyde Robillard in the Moran Motors factory hemi goes ups against Jack Cooley's Black Trash Camaro at La Place LA in May of 1967 at a Div 4 points race. Robillard was from Baton Rouge and Cooley Morgan City LA. Bayou racing at its best, despite the hangover from Bourbon St! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Denver's Art Ward launches the Guzman & Ward AM/SP off the line during time trials at the 1967 Nationals. I misidentifed him in an earlier post from Pomona as Roger Ward, who I believe was an Indy car driver. [​IMG]

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How's this for "in motion"?:D

9. WCD

WCD

I always find it amusing to see residential housing not but a few yards away in the back ground. Damn it must be humid there. I visited New Orleans last April and it was a bit stiffling at lunch time. I can only imagen what its like in August!

10. JBell

JBell
    from California

What are the pieces hanging off the back of the rollcage? Looks like framework for an enclosure.

11. rick finch

rick finch

GBP in it's proper toe-mater red...;)

[​IMG]

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I saw that car run many times and several tracks and always had very fond memories of it.
    Then I saw the article in TRJ and was horrified that it was perfectly restored and YELLOW!
    Oh brother.....I never even knew it was yellow for part of its life.
    That one amazing color photo of it on the cover and on the inside of HRM when I was a teenage was when it was red.
    That magazine image was blazed into our little heads because of those photos.
    And then Meyer painted it yellow....BOOOOOOO

As I recall this was the first issue of HRM that had color photos (2 only) inside...
    (Nov. 1962....I had just turned 12!!!!)

[​IMG]

13. partsrivet

partsrivet

From what I remember, the NHRA usually scheduled points meets in Louisiana in the Spring. Even then it could be 90+ along with brutal humidity, which didn't seem to bother the locals. The Oklahoma and Texas tracks also raced during the daylight, but I don't recall anyplace cooking like La Place. Then again, it's going on 50 years and maybe I've just forgotten the heat too...

14. brobertson2

brobertson2

The GBP car is red with KB's Ford push car is a classic, Lions Dragstrip - 1960's, shot. Love it. Thanks Rick...

PS...Wonder if the blue El Camino behind KB's push car is the Safford Gaide Ratican push car?

15. partsrivet

partsrivet

Just wanted to again thank everyone who has encouraged me, commented and helped ID the pictures I've posted. I've been marking the original slides with the info as we go along. The ID's sure make them more meaningful and I have been happy to share these views and hear your stories.

16. The story my dad always told me was that the first set of M&H Wrinkle Wall slicks he ever got was given to him by a guy he knew who drove for Sox & Martin. He was from my Dad's home town, Sikeston, MO.

17. Top photo has been identified as Nando Hasse. The bottom photo is Ogden. The pieces on the back are mounts for the enclosed body that had been removed for testing. it is two different cars. Note the fuel tanks.

18. WCD

WCD

Wonder if the Ogden car ended up being Gary Ormsby Cheetah? It featured a full nose and tail section and was equipped with an Ogden chassis.

19. 33hotrod

33hotrod

I'am glad I'am not the only one who thought the GBP car was always red/orange except for the 1 national meet which it won and at the time it was painted yellow I thought only for 1 season? I work right by there and Keith Black always called it the orange car! His wife of 86 years and his son of 61 years verify all this!!!!!!!!1 But I never heard anybody bring it up till now. Stan

20. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

This thread brings back memorys of good times before I was born.

21. Ronald66

Ronald66

All i can say is "WOW" !!!!
    Thanks guys for sharing all this wonderful history...

Ron

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I only saw it run once. I shot this from the bleachers at the 'Beach on an average Saturday night.

[​IMG]

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

And Bruce Meyer says: "It's my checkbook that's going to pay for the restoration and I like the yellow".
    End of conversation.

By the way, thankfully guys like Bruce step up to pay for these restorations. The restoration is terrific on this car and the best part is...it really runs......

24. rick finch

rick finch

25. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I just noticed the four-holer in place of the yellow scoop on that version of GBP as well.

26. rick finch

rick finch

More GBP trivia...we've all seen this image a thousand times, but have you ever noticed it says Keith Black Racing Engines?
    (rather than Greer, Black & Prudhome)

[​IMG]

27. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

like conder said: mounts for the streamlined body.

28. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

29. brobertson2

brobertson2

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1