Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kids scratch,s my car bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Jun 26, 2012.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I cant put a pic up off topic 69 bird numbers matching,Just wanted to know who else this happened to ,Just to cheer me up,I 600 the fender already and glazed the scratch will wetsand tomorrow and reprime,I just want to get back to the Model A///

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

John:

I hear ya brother, however, it's just a car. It'll either buff out, or sand out. Been there and done that many times. My kids aren't destructive, and won't do mean things, but,......they're kids. I refuse to get an ulcer worrying about trivial things can could happen to my car. Be happy you can fix it. Good luck. Stu

3. I vote Stu's response for "best attitude". Depending on age of kids, you could enlist their help in sanding/buffing out the damage, both encouraging them to be respectful of others' property as well as providing a bit of bonding time. Set a timer, and have that be the cut off for the work time.

4. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Just be thankfull your kids are still around to scratch your car, we have lost way too many young ones in the last couple years.....they are just cars, no matter what they are just cars.... Jim

5. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

It's a bummer, but it is what it is. Teach them respect, but you gotta cut the young ones slack. Your car doesn't love you back. I'm sure non parents will tell you different. I always have to laugh when they talk about how they'd handle the situation.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Look at you blaming the Kids?

7. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Yup

8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

We go to lots of car shows, and cruise in events. Never a problem. I taught them to look with their eyes, and no touchy except for my car. Hopefully, they'll have some great memories of the 37. Stu

9. Been there - fresh from the paint shop and handle bars from my little ones bike right across the deck lid - "O its alright buddy just gottas be more careful next time OK?" My own fault for putting it in the "house garage" so I could drink a couple beers and swoon over the damn thing.... lesson learned. Scratch is brush filled, looks like shit and is still there - hes in college and gone - when I see it now it makes me smile.

10. deto

deto

The little shit who lived across the street from me carved her name in my OT 71 gmc longed. Went from the tail gate to the door. I guess her mom told her no ice cream from the ice cream truck...

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

This is one reason I leave my ride in primer. Accidental scratches, dents and dings happen....it adds to the character. :)

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son is getting his paybacks now for all the things he tore up when he was little including running my 51 Merc into a tree backwards when he was 5 and folding the open deck lid double. He does most all of my finish welding now.

13. With a little time it can be fixed. Get the kids involved with the repair and get a little bonding time. I recently sold a restored GMC truck because I got wound up tighter than a banjo string every time the kids got near it. I figured it was not a matter of if but when something would happen to it. (With kids the unpredictable is the norm as you know!) Felt better when it was gone and I got a less than perfect 62 Bel Air wagon to replace it.

14. nice

15. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Razor blades in apples!

16. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Guys ,this may not be the right place,but it struck me to be.This was told to me last nite by my son.his freind came home,found his wife shot dead,teenage son gone.Turns out son shot his mom,because she told hom to clean his room.please remember they are just cars.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I wouldn't notice if a kid scratched my car. I scratch it myself all the time.

18. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Thats the truth!

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive never had any problems with either of my kids messing with dads things. they stayed away from my cars, all but the ot daily drivers.anything else was off limits. they stayed away from my cars ,bikes and loaded guns. and i never had to tell them more than once.now my grandkids is another story in itself!i love them more than life itself but i am sure glad when they go home.lol;( just kidding, i wish they lived with me.sometimes)

20. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Last summer we were doing some remodeling in the house. Our '36 was parked in the garage and got covered with heavy dust. One day after the grand kids left, I noticed our 11 year old grand daughter's name drawn in the dust on the back fender. The next day the kids stopped in again. We were standing in the garage talking, so I just put my arm around our grand daughter and asked her to please not do that again. Our grand kids all know better. She denied doing it, which put me in an awkward spot, but just then I hear her 8 year old brother giggling behind us. As soon as I turned around we all knew by the look on his face that he was the one that had written his sister's name in the dust! I couldn't laugh, even though I wanted to. I have to give the kid credit for at least not writing his own name! :) Too bad he couldn't keep a straight face though. I'm sure it's a story that we'll be repeating someday to their kids.

21. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Now, I'm not advising anyone to try this, nor am I advocating that it will work in every instance every time, but...

Two years ago I bought an OT Saab 9-5 for a steal (I thought... wrong) and it had a two foot long scratch on the rear passenger side QP just above the wheel well. The rest of the car was about flawless. I took a terry cloth square, wetted it with brake fluid, and lightly swirled over the scratch. The brake fluid "reconstitutes" the dry paint and pushes it into the scratch. Let it dry, hit it with some 1500 grit, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound, and finally a good buffing. You can't even see it. Just my $0.02

Again, try this at your own risk. I don't need any hate mail from anyone telling me I told them to fuck up their car. I'm just saying that it worked for ME.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Dude... You spent too much! Lol

Attached Files:

23. Should'a put a sock on the pickle...;)

24. cederholm

cederholm

Came out one morning to fine the passenger door to my daily spray painted. White car, black paint. No messages and for from graffiti just some scribbles like a second grader gone mad. ...it was a damn good thing it wasn't MY kids who did it!

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Had an ex-wife who thought it would be cute to spray paint my Jeep about 7 years ago... I used Rain-X to remove it. It'll take off the spray paint and not mess up the enamel beneath. As a bonus, the water will just bead up an roll off the car in that spot...

Again, not advising anyone to do it, just saying that I have, and it worked for me. If anyone would decide to try any of the methods I've listed above, for God's sake, try it in an inconspicuous spot first.

26. outlaw256

outlaw256

think ill go and and scratch the wife car and see if the brake fluid trick works. lol. aint about to scratch mine!!!

27. I had a car that got a scratch once. :rolleyes:

28. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Good call. Just remember... Divorce proceedings cost much more than a new paint job. :eek:

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

My kids are fairly good around the car and car shows, but I've seen my fair share of people who seem to think its ok to let there kids touch cars. Hell at back to the fifties this year I watched a father an teen son open my door and climb into te car to take a Pic of the pinstriping on my dash! Like it was no big deal to be climbing in somebody's car...

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Great advice. I don't have kids, but if I did and was in the same spot this would be my avenue. I've worked hard and sacrificed for what I have, I hope one day to teach my kids the same lessons. This is an opportunity to not only bond but to instill character. All win.