Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which S10 five speed for my flatty in an A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadz-forever, Jun 25, 2012.

1. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I have a 1930 model a pickup with a flathead I want to run a five speed many have said the s10 five speeds shifter location is the closest to original. are the ratios in the trans efficient with a flathead powerband?
    Which s10 do I need one out of a 2wd? which clutch and presssure plate do I use which model or years of s10 do I need the trans out of??

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is some info http://www.flatheadv8.org/t5-swap.htm
    Most guys look for a "World Class" trans that has the bearing in the case rather than bushings. I ended up with an 88 trans simply because it showed up on Craigslist for 100.00 one morining and an hour later it was in the back of my truck. I'm running the Ford truck hogshead and Dwight Bond adapter which is a nice unit. Now I just need a car to put it in.

3. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Wow that link is just great thanks

4. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

anyone have any comments on a specific one that works the best

5. Ralph

Ralph

"anyone have any comments on a specific one that works the best "

It's all about YOUR rear axle ratio and tire size, and how YOU use the car. How fast do you want to cruise on the highway? There are calculators online that will help you. With a 350 Chev you try for a highway cruise RPM around 2200-2500 RPM. Flatheads I dunno. For first gear, try to get your axle ratio times your first gear ratio to equal 11 or thereabouts. Again, there are charts online showing the gear ratios of all the T5's. There's no one T5 that's "The best."
    Ralph

6. Gromit

Gromit

Always assumed a BW T-5 was a T-5 period. Any gear changes would be in the rear diff. I'll watch and learn.

7. Flatheads with any kind of speed equipment like things above 2000 RPM - so plan accordingly.

My avatar has a T5, 3:54 gears, a .8 5th gear, a 30" rear tire and I'm running 25-2600 RPM @ 75 MPH. I usually run 22-2300 rpm, 65-70 MPH. Still plenty of umph to get up most hills without downshifting - I think this as being near perfect.

My 40 Ford coupe on the other hand has T5 behind a flattie and with a .62 5th gear, 29" rear tire, 3:40 rear gear, and I'm at 2100 RPM @ 75 MPH. Needless to say I have to downshift on most hills. So, I either have to change my rear tire size and/or move up to a 3:50 rear gearset (both of which I have), or just move to a 3:70 gearset (difficult to find/expensive for an 8" rear, not the best for around town driving either) or swap out the trans for one with a .72 or .8 5th gear. I will probably swap out the T5 for a more friendly 5th gear since I have a couple other T5s around, and save this T5 for a non-flattie application.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

9. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Here ya go!!!

Attached Files:

10. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

what year v8 firebird is that tranny from chop top kid and what year s10 tailshaft

11. designs that work

designs that work

I am using a 1986 Firebird t5 behind my stock 59ab. This is the Non WC and the rear trans mount is at a angle. Bought the adapter from Dwight Bond.

Attached Files:

12. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Here's the list of T5 links that Flat Ernie put up: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169265

There is a metal tag attached to the T5 where the tailshaft housing bolts to the gearcase. You'll have to use the number on the tag to identify both the application and the gearset that is in that transmission case. The years overlap and you'll have to determine if you have the transmission for your application by the number on the tag. There will be several differient numbers used on the V8 Camaro/Firebirds. Also, just because it came from a Camaro/Firebird doesn't mean it is the transmission you are looking for because the V6 trannys were differient.
    My T5 is a NWC box so it has to be an '83 thru '87 gearbox. Any '82 thru '92 S10 tailshaft housing should work...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

My only advice is to make sure that S-10 5 speed is, in fact, a T-5. GM also used the NV1500 5 speed in the S-10. It's designed by Getrag and was predominently used with the 4 banger engine. It's probably okay in low power/low weight applications, but I'd be careful.

Mike

14. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

does the nv1500 look like a t5

15. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Not hardly!!!:eek:

[​IMG]

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the conversion kits that I sell I recommend the 85-92 S10/S15 trans with the 85 thru some 89s having the manual speedo and the later ones having electric senders. I've sold a lot of kits and the T5 from the S series trucks has worked great. Gary at Cornhusker Rod And Custom HAMB Vendor

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That's a good starting point, but there are some serious omissions in that article.

No, there are dozens of varieties of T5 with different gear ratios. Much like the early four speeds usually had a close ratio & wide ratio gearset, the T5 has a multitude of them for the various applications

If it was easy to adapt, I'd take the NV1500 over the T5, but its integral bellhousing precludes being a viable candidate for a flathead swap.

No, it has an integral bellhousing.

18. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

i know that the s10 from 88 up to 93, and others in earlier yrs,
    if it has a 2.5 4 cyl, and a T5 5speed,
    this should be the one you're looking for,,
    also something to keep in mind, prior to 88-89, they had manual speedo cables, after that they had electronic/magnetic sensors no cable,
    so, i would guess that you would want a manual speedo 5-speed
    from pre 1989
    my .02 and i admit i didnt read all the links that others posted,
    so forgive me if i repeated some info

19. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

thanks guys do you guys know of anyone who makes a short throw shifter for the s10 t5 or is the shifter the same just they have specific shifters for diff car configurations??? anyone have and expirience with American powertrain

20. Bump for your thread as I am looking for the short throw shifter info too.

So, Anyone know what short throw shifters are out there? Will the Mustang ones, or TransCamaro ones work?

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Use the $30-50 Mustang ones avail on eBay. You bolt in the rear two bolts, mark and drill the front holes in the shifter to match the S10 shifter box, and cut off the excess.