Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Going to Ducktail & James Dean, 2 shows very confusing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jun 25, 2012.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Making plans to attend Ducktail show and see it is at the same time as James Dean show. This is all a little confusing for a poor Canadian.

1. Are they Related?
    2. If not which is the better of the two?
    3. If the same how do you attend 2 shows at once? :confused::confused:

Any guidance will be appreciated.

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

It will be interesting to see the responses on this one.

The James Dean show in Fairmont is the original. The Ducktail run in Gas City is a second run split off years ago due to various politics.

Both are good shows. Some people cruise back and forth between the two, and others have their allegiance to just one or the other.

Go to both and have a good time!

3. henry29

henry29

I've been to both shows, personally I like the James Dean show better.

There not to far apart so it's fairly easy to run back and forth.

4. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

So, some people ENTER both events and travel back & forth???

5. My experience---
    Ducktail has more cars, and a way bigger swap meet.
    James Dean has fewer, but nicer cars and way better spectator parking.

Solution: Attend both. Worked for me. ;)

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Both shows are great, Ducktail is set up so you can cruise around the park grounds. James Dean a better pre-show cruise in, and has a longer tradition. Go to both then let us know what you think - have fun.

7. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

How do you attend two shows on the same weekend, or is it a case of driving back and forth between them, forgive me if I am a little slow but this does not add up to me. Originally I thought they were related and you could cruise between the 2 of them as in one event . :confused:

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

One's in Gas City - the other in Fairmont - google them and you will see they are very close. You enter both shows - $20 in think - they run Fri, Sat, and Sunday - plenty of time to hit them both - everyone does this. Alot of people camp the whole weekend too, so those folks will drive back and forth too. With the window tags in the window of your show car you can come and go as you please.

9. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Which car are you bringing - Dean is famous for having Mercs and Kustoms.

10. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I will be taking my 49 Meteor Coupe!!!!

Attached Files:

11. i go to the early cruise in fairmount, then spend all day sat. at gas city, great show.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great looking car! I think you would be well received at both shows.

Just register for both and enjoy driving between the two. The cool thing about both of these shows is the fact that cars are in motion all weekend rather than just parked.

You will enjoy.

13. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Ducktail has large swap meet, more cars and is faster pace. James Dean is more laid back,smaller swap meet and fewer cars but if you like Kustoms [especialy Mercs] you will like it. 5 miles between the two and most people enter both and go back & forth.

14. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Bob, Thanks for the info. along with the other responses it helped clear up the problem. Is there a entry fee that allows you into both shows or do you have to enter them individually. Thanks Again. Larry

15. fms427

fms427

They are two completely separate shows - and don't particularly like each other - so - sorry - two entrys. You can enter one and just spectate at the other......:D

16. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

TOO BAD, That would make for a great Venue to combine both using a long cruise between the two. Oh Well, I am sure I will attend both at some time in the 3 days. :cool:

17. BrianBSU23

BrianBSU23
    from Indiana

At both shows when you pull through the entrance of the show, they will take your $20 and give you a window tag. Once you have your tag, you can enter and leave each show as many times as you want throughout the weekend. It is worth the $20 at each show just for the ease of parking and being able to park close. You can pre-enter to both shows through their website and you’ll receive a free T-shirt<O:p</O:p

A lot of people bounce back and fourth between each show all day long. If you know the back way between the shows it is literally a 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

The Ducktail Run starts earlier in the week than the James Dean Run. You can start to enter the Ducktail Run Wednesday morning and by Thursday afternoon the show is going pretty good. At the James Dean Run, it starts on Friday at the park and takes a little longer to get going so if you go first thing Friday morning, it can be a bit of a letdown since the Ducktail Run has had a couple of extra days to get going.<O:p></O:p>

Both are good shows. The James Dean Run is way more laid back and full of custom cars and hot rods. There are always historically significant cars sitting around. Two James Dean museums are within walking distance and you will drive right past <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Fairmount</SPAN></st1:placeName><st1:placeType>High School</st1:placeType></ST1:pto enter the show. <O:p</O:p

The Ducktail Run is way busier, bigger swap, and has a big party atmosphere. <O:p></O:p>
    Both are great shows. Definitely spend time at both.<O:p></O:p>

I have a website www.JamesDeanDucktailRun.com that has pictures from both shows from about the last decade. It is in the middle of a massive overhaul, so it doesn’t have last year’s pictures up yet, but it will give you an idea of what you will see.

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

BRIAN, Thank You Very Much, You Nailed it for all the information I needed. Larry

19. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I've been going to both for years (some will remember the years with 3 shows) I agree with what the others have said about Dean being laid back and Ducktail having the bigger swap etc.

I will add that if you are going to bounce back and forth, go to Ducktail in the morning if you want to find a place to park and then Dean in the afternoon.

Also pack your shorts and your winter coat, it's been hot and humid one year and the next year I had to scrap the frost off the windows.

20. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

its one of the best weekends going, rain or shine, one of the best shows going in my opinion. this will be my 25th year attending, i never and never plan to miss it. decent swap, awesome mercs, rods muscle cars, plus all kinds of local events and yard sales and such for the spouses! only complaints i could give is the number of golf carts and such in the last couple of years. all in all its a great time and you're sure to enjoy and will make plans attending again.

weekend before is the reble run in lima ohio, weekend after is the pumpkin run near cincinnati and both of these shows being close by always helps to draw cars to each other, its my favorite 3 weeks of the year!!

21. Gator

Gator

Done both, and as others said it's easy enough.

If I had to pick ONE it would be the Ducktail HANDS DOWN. It also had a great swap meet...

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There are back roads to get you back and forth to each show quickly.

23. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

The James Dean Run will have the "Deuce Day " event this year on Saturday.