Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info about a Hamb member (possible scam)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -impalamike-, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, Trying to dig up a little info about a member on the Hamb who has emailed me and sent me a PM on the board. His name is Lars-Anders Hedin and his username is Varmland. He lives in Sweden. He says he is interested in buying my Impala and he asked for my phone number. He only has 2 posts on the board but his join date is Oct 2009. Maybe i am being over cautious but I just worry about out of country scammers. If anyone has any info on him I would appreciate it. I gave him my number but he hasn't called me back yet. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. cederholm

cederholm

Are you selling an Impala and is your phone number in witness protection?

3. Being cautious is a smart thing. Ask yourself this. Would you make a deal with anyone without talking first hand to them? I only type with 2 fingers, I prefer talking (I'm an old fucker). Give him your ph#, it's his dime. If you don't like what you hear just say NO. It's really that easy. In the Old Days we used the news paper classifyied section to sell cars. They all had ph# on them. No! worked even back then.
    The Wizzard

4. I sent him my number the second time he messaged me. He hasn't called yet. I was just checking to see if anyone knows him since he has been on the board for 3 years. I've never dealt with an out of the country buyer before and I don't want to get taken.

5. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

ONLY trust a bank wire transfer for payment.

It's really the buyer who is taking all the risk. Once he wires payment, the seller has the money, the car AND the title.....can't lose.

6. I understand the out of country stuff and don't like it either. I have never and never will enter into a deal without them having a local agent come personally with Cash in hand. A scammer won't do it, a solid dealer understands and does it. This over sea thing is huge and there are people that just Broker them. Do not use escro and be smart about it.
    The Wizzard

7. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I'm not really sure what the possible scam is here, as it's just a phone number. Remember that you are 8 hrs behind us, maybe he struggles to find a decent time to call?

And a quick search in the local white pages shows that he is a real person that lives where he says in his bio.

8. Wellsville

Wellsville
    from Sweden

Honestly,,, the one who is to be worried is the guy sending you his money,, you won´t let your car go until the funds is in your hand or (even better) on you account !! Right ?

I´m in Sweden and is no scammer,, and have bought several cars in USA over the years,, always risky to send several thousand dollars across the world ,,(only via bank Wire!) ,,to pay for something you have never seen in person. Who takes the risk really ??

And the time difference IS always a mess,, I might need to get up 2PM (my local time) to call a guy on the west coast in a good time for him. It IS always good to be a bit paranoid ,,, But call him a possibly scammer ? well? Best of luck with it all !! ;)

9. I sold my 60 Comet Wagon to a New Zealander. I talked to both him and his wife on the telephone, seemed like really nice people. I gave them plenty of info about me so they knew I was legit and was fairly easy to find. They sent me a Cashier's Check, I took it to the bank and once it cleared I delivered the car to the shipping agent in the LA area. They got the car and we have talked numerous times over the years since. Everybody is warm and fuzzy about the deal.
    I put a lot of stock in talking to a person and seeing what they are made of.

10. Thanks guys. I will take your advice. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to those of you that have told me about your out of country purchases and how you handled it.

11. Listen, when dealing in other countrys from your own on buying a car or selling, you both have to just do the obvious, and take all necessary steps to assure the seller is getting paid and buyer is getting what is promised.
    Its as simple as that- neither can be careless or unprofessional....

12. Hey Wellsville, you mentioned buying several cars from the US. Have you stayed with the same shipping company for all of your purchases or have you used different companies? Were you pleased with them?

13. roughneck424

roughneck424

I have shippd at least 40 cars to Sweden, Yes I had a " trust worthy" friend on that side. I've even had the luxury of being over there when a car arrived on that side and followed it thru customs.

But really the buyer is the one who has the worries. Not you.
    It is done hundreds of times a day. The frieght forwarders whare houses have hundreds of classic cars in them. Wont be long we will be having to buy them there and ship them back to USA

14. Thanks, that is good to know. I did send the moderater a message asking him to remove the (possible scam) from my thread title. In hindsight I feel that it isn't fair to the member.

15. Hell I never give out my number even if it is BR-549. :D

I would think that if I was selling a car and someone asked for my number I would not get worried about it until I talked to them. Now if they called and asked for extension 9-011 then I may get concerned. :D

Maybe some of the european HAMBers will have some idea about him.

16. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

let's see if I have this correct....The car is in your possession, right? you won't release the car untill payment clears, right? why would you be concerned with a possible scam? due diligence, common sense on your end should ease your worries.
    The person is buying the car unseen, I believe he has more worries as to whether the car was represented correctly.
    Good luck

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.