Register now to get rid of these ads!

How should I go about building my new ride???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chrome Shop Mafia, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

I'm going to be buying a project in about a year for my high skool ride (I'm 14 right now, probably gonna' buy it about a month or so before I turn 15...) and I need to know what you guys suggest to do for my ride...

Currently, I'm looking at a '31 Chevy 1-Ton truck for my ride. I'm not sure which way to go, if I want to have a radikal chop on it, sectioned and channeled way over the frame, ya' know, 'causing the rear tires to ride higher than the pickup bed...

Or if I want to run something more mild. A decent chop (3 1/2-4 Inches...), no channel or a very slight channel, and probably no section.

Most of the drivetrain is undecided, color is undecided...

Here's the truck...
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any suggestios or help!!!

Later.

Troy.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I suggest you get something that you can actually get running and driving, and learn how to fix stuff before you get too carried away with building the ultimate killer kemp hot rod pickup.

but what do I know....I have teenage boys of my own....

3. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

I hear ya', I'm lookin' for something to learn off of, plus I have help coming from every direction, thankfully.

But I here what you're sayin'... Thanks!!!

Later.

Troy.

4. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Build it so you can use it to pull up future projects.Maybe find a Motorhome chassis with a good motor and tranny and mount it to it.I have a friend that has an old dodge mounted on a van style motorhome chassis and it turned out nice,he has a flatbed with tool boxes mounted to it ,pulls up old cars with it etc... :D

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

I can tell you right now if you chop, channel, and section a 31 chevy truck you will not fit in it unless you are about 4'6", and it would still be tight! I sat in the Shine truck and I don't think I would want to drive it around the block. I am only 5'10 and it is a bigger cab with no section too.

How is the wood in it? That is something else to worry about. If you are going to do that you would need to remove all of the wood and replace it with steel to give some structural integrity back to the A pillars. At least you are young enough you may have enough ambition for an undertaking like that. You can use the ton frame and front springs with a cut or two here and there and a few leaves yanked out of the front packs.

I think it would be best if you found some running driving 50's unit to spend some time learning basics on and work on the super duper hot rod on the side. Or maybe find some $500 honda to drive as a daily so you can focus your time and funds on the 31 until it is done.

Don't believe it when everyone tells you that the 31 will never get done. I'd prove them wrong, build the truck and drive the Honda as a back up. You don't want to have to turn down a date because you have no wheels.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, you may well have the ability to build the truck....I don't now what you're capable of, how much help you have, etc. It just has been my experience that there is a awful lot to learn about cars, and getting some basic skills first before tackling the big stuff would be wise. Maybe you can get the truck going with pretty much stock body first, then perhaps build a new chassis for it and put the parts on that, then do some body mods after you've done the structural work on the cab....you might have a better chance of success than if you just tear it apart and are faced with doing a lot of difficult tasks at once before you can even drive the thing.

7. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Thanks for the help guys, it means a lot to me that you guys actually care someone as young as me is going to try this...

Currently I have a backup ride, it's an '04 Ford Focus that my parents bought for my brothers and I as a car. This truck would be a project, but I need somewhere to learn...

I was looking through magazines last night and ran across a few unchopped pickups from the '30's, I think it looks really kool...

I'm not sure if I want to modify the suspension, I want this thing to be able to haul some stuff, but who knows??? Once I get this truck or another truck, I'll get more detailed about what I'm going to do...

Later.

Troy.

8. demonspeed

demonspeed

that is one hell of a project. how much is the guy charging you for it? anyways good luck with it and post pics when you're done!

9. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm not sure if I want to modify the suspension, I want this thing to be able to haul some stuff, but who knows??? Once I get this truck or another truck, I'll get more detailed about what I'm going to do...

I think Plowboys answer was right on for you. If you want it bad enough, you can do it. It always costs way more than you think it will but hopefully you've got 70 or 80 years to worry about that. If you have good solid transportation like the focus and understanding parents for the mess in the garage, driveway, or barn, this is a great way to learn. Even if you change your mind and don't finish it, there is no better way to learn than by doing, undoing, and redoing and eventually you will get what you want. The biggest part of that post is that make sure you can still get dates!!

There's a million people that will tell you that you are too young, don't know enough, don't have the money, whatever. I'm glad no one who is doing this stuff ever listened to those people or no cars would have ever gotten built. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just be realistic in your expectations of time, money, and talent. I say that because after 20 years of this, I'm still not realistic about any of those things and have only finished maybe five cars out of about 90 and I had way too much help on one of them.

I've got a 59 F100 that I mostly built. I swapped a few fenders, tailgate, a few motors (and built two) and trannys (still chicken to build one of those), a few sets of wheels, wired it (and I didn't have a clue how to do that) but paid someone do replace the rear springs because I actually use it for a truck. I have gotten about 20 yards of mulch with it this year and all the lumber in my shop for the bar and storage was hauled home in it. It's nice to have a rod that you can enjoy and still actually use. My wife still thinks we have it just because everyone needs a pickup truck and not for the real reason, which is because it's just fun. I've learned a helluva lot from that truck and I've gotten to haul tons of cool free stuff home because I have it. I say knock yourself out and if you get in over your head, the HAMB is here for questions and help. But if you just need money, you are screwed like the rest of us. Good luck brother.

10. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Buy a beater P/U for a driver, then build your ride. Walking to get parts sucks, and keep it simple like getting the motor in your project vs. a chop and channel job. Get ready to bend a lot of tube to fill all the wood in that Chebby, and good luck youngster.

11. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Thanks guys...

I'll probably come here with questions, I'm on other boards, but questions get answered slowly...

The guy wants $750 for the truck, I've found a running Hemi that I might be able to buy for $500, the tranny is in the dark, and so is the rest of the vitals...

In terms of where I can build this, my mom, along with being a lawyer, has a street painting business, and I managed to talk her into giving me room at the yard where they're parking the equipment to build my truck... so I'm lucky to have room like that for free...

I like the '31 Chevy a lot, but there's another truck I'm looking at, it's a '38 Chevy pickup (As you can see, I'm a Chevy kidd...)... It's in better condition and has a rear axle, slightly more complete for another $150... here's a pic of the $900 Chevy...
    [​IMG]
    The hood, headlights, and front rest of the front end are in the bed...

It has a major rupture on the left rear fender, I'm not sure if it woul need replacing or could just be welded up, here's the rupture...
    [​IMG]
    I actually like this style a little more, because of the smoother, more rounded body style...

Which do you guy's think I should get??? The '31 or the '38???

THANKS FOR HELP FROM ALL OF YOU!!!

Later.

Troy.

12. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I had a 37 chevy truck (same as the 38), and I really liked it. The lines are really smooth. The top has the appearence of being chopped, because of the slightly forward rake. in addition the 31 chevy will have a lot of wood in it. That can be a real pain if it is not complete.

Go with the late model

HotRob

13. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i wish i wouldve had someone tell me that...

"sorry babe i know your parents are out of town and youre home alone but i cant come over cause my truck isnt running right now..."

thats been said many times... ive missed out on alot. so do yourself a favor and buy yourself a beater.

14. Terry

Terry

First off, it's good to see a young-guy getting into the scene. Welcome aboard!

Now, as for as advice, I'll give you the same I am giving my son. He is 13 and starting his first right now. First keep it simple! You can always go back and improve on things later as your skill level improves.

Secound listen to that little inner voice. If your doing somthing and your not comfortable about it, or feel you've not done as good as a job as you can, then re-do it. It is not the perfect job that makes a pro, it's the ability to correct ones mistakes and go on that marks a real pro.

And DON'T be afraid to ask questions, no matter how dumb. It's how we all learned.

Now one more thing.... The truck is awesome, trucks are cheaper, and in some ways easier. But dude!! That 56 wagon behind your truck is wicked. Think of the good times and all the friends you could haul around in that thing!

And BTW... Where is that yard!

Good luck

15. squirrel

squirrel

The 38 would probably be a better project, both because it's a half ton to start with, and it's an all metal body. The tear in the rear fender should be the least of your worries!

my guess is the wagon is a tad pricey?

16. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Thanks Again For Your Encouragement, Guys!!!

Like I said, I do have a daily driver to use until this truck is up and running, the ugly, hideous, 2004 Ford Focus... but it drives...

I don't plan, anymore, on going radikal with it, the roof is just low enough on the '38 to keep it the way it is, really, the only major thing I would want to try is lowering it, and not a whole lot, just a little...

HotRob, I hear what you're saying about the little voice inside you, and I'm going to do my very best to listen to it...

I have no problem asking questions, especially dumb ones...

I think the wagon is about $1000-$2000...

Thank again for the words of encouragement!!!

Later.

Troy.

17. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Also,

Do any of you have suggestions on engine and tranny???

Like I said, I might be able to get a running 331 Hemi for $500...

What would you guys suggest??? I do want it to be able to haul some stuff...

Later.

Troy.

18. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Oh yeah,

The yard is in Casper, Wyoming, a friend of mine is picking up a '52 Chevy out of it in a little while...

Later.

Troy.

19. Flat 4rd

Flat 4rd

I really like the 31 chevy pickups.

Here is one My father just finished the fabrication on (new chassis, bed running boards etc. ) for a kid just graduating high school this year. This kid didnt want the cab chopped. :rolleyes: I do know what others mean though about not having any leg room after a radical chop.

[​IMG]

There is a ton of wood in a 31 chevy but you can get new wood for them.

Here is a few more pictures in this gallery of this project.

CLICK HERE

21. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

To All,

Thanks for the help and reference...

Later.

Troy.

22. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I wouldn't put the hemi in it. It's your first project so go get a sbc and th350. You can buy premade mounts for motor and tranny for $150.00 total. You should be able to score a 350/350 for $500.00 and you could probably get a rear end from a chevy truck too. Lots of options on the front end too. I run straight axle with 54 chevy passenger car drums and a 68 impala rear. No power steering. Check out the www.stovebolt.com page for more info on the truck.

If you want to look or be "old school/traditional" get a 283 or 327 and run old valve covers, cannister oil filter, etc. Remember K.I.S.S.

Good luck and welcome.

23. Flat 4rd

Flat 4rd

From

http://www.chevywood.com/

The kit was very well done and they were good people to deal with.

24. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

careful with that focus... dont jump anything in it they have a tendancy to get their oil filters ripped off when you land... dont ask me how i know this:D

25. rjb

rjb
    from ICT KS

One more thing, seeing as these guys have covered most of the important stuff, and I really dont know what your financial situation is but I highly suggest, almost insist, that you pay for everything yourself. Being as young as you are (and it hasnt been TOO long since i was your age) getting a job and paying for everything will be tough, real tough, but you'll love your ride a hundred times more if you had to work twenty hours a week after school at a crappy job getting $5.25 an hour for two years untill it is finished.

Trust me!

btw good luck, welcome to the HAMB

rjb

26. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Thanks...

I was going to have a job at a construction company this summer, but found out no one under 16 is aloud on a job site.

I do sell my drawings, which is where most of the money has come from (and mowing the old ladies lawn...), I'd like to get a job and there are a few places where I might be able to pick one up...

Later.

Troy.

http://www.freewebs.com/krom-o-grafix/index.htm

^^^ My Art Website ^^^

27. Thanks....
    kinda want to go that route, the pictures of someone's 31 with the wood in the doors looks good, but he just emailed me, 2100 bucks for the kit, kinda think replacing with metal would be better, needed to know the $$$$ inquiring minds need to know

28. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a feature on a neat 39 Chev hiboy pickup in the latest issue of the Australian magazine CRUZIN. Maybe somebody here in Australia can scan the feature and send it to you. It appears to be a neat and practical little truck.

Regards
    Michael

29. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Thanks...

Later.

Troy.