Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fordman1's 1950 Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordman1, Mar 1, 2012.

1. fordman1

fordman1

Installed the radiator, but now the 6v battery is dead! Not sure how to jump it as the ignition does not work so have to hot wire it, jump it with 12v and bump it over. More research or I need a gray hair to help! Got finish suspension and brakes quick to. Also the trans and rear end are both leaking, so that will have to get looked at.

2. fordman1

fordman1

New brake lines in, just need to bleed it again. New shackles on but have not set it on the ground until the brakes are bled. Trying to get the last of the frayed wires covered that I found under the dash but most are so short that I can't reach, thus I tried pulling the gauge cluster but that isn't working, so I pulled the speaker cover and that helped some, and decided to pull the whole dash but of course one screw was too rusty and stripped out so that isn't wanting to come out either. Still need to get it running, test out the lights, drive it some, grab a blanket to cover the seat and then roll out in four days for the NW billetproof show in chehalis WA. Smart, huh?

3. daddio211

daddio211

I'm enjoying the progress!

I'm sure you don't need this advice, but take your time. If it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. Don't cut corners, especially when it comes to safety!

Cutting corners means you'll NEVER get back to doing it right, because in our minds we already did it!

Best of luck, looking forward to the action ahead.

4. fordman1

fordman1

Fought with the dash last night but got it out. Then fixed some frayed wires and added some extensions to get the ignition down to a manageable location. Thinking I will have to bypass it since I have no key for it and all the resto places are backordered on new keys and cylinders. Tonight will be bleeding the brakes and putting the dash back in. Then onto starting, testing out systems and test drive!

5. fordman1

fordman1

Dash is back in and all buttoned up. My old ignition has had the core removed by using a drill so not sure if it is locked "ON" now but guessing so. The one I bought from a Ford Parts guy is stuck but with a key that doesn't turn it and is a different shape then the one that came with the car. Brakes are bled and she is sitting back on the ground. The new shackles keep the springs off the frame and she has a few inches of travel now before they sit! New springs may be in my future. Rounding up another heater, a pair of 15" tires with 6.70s on them (match the spare) and will also pick up a vaccuum canister of Craigslist this weekend too. Oh and a 6v/12v charger. Hoping to fire it up and drive it over the next few days. At a minimum I am hoping the brake lights work! Hopefully more than that.

6. fordman1

fordman1

She ran today! Also found out that the battery is crap so I need to try returning it tomorrow and may end up with an Optima (and then probably the fake 6v case). Also there was a lot of smoking so hopefully it is just some stuck rings and the motor isn't shot. Regardless I took the obligatory stroll through craigslist for early OHV motors. Also got a blanket to cover the seat so hopefully I can drive it tomorrow! Picked up a pair of 15" wheels so just need another pair and then I will have to bite the bullet and send Coker lots of cash.

7. I look at your pics & you know what ?...........you have one nice :cool: Ford. Take your time, do it right the first time, & before you know it you'll be cruising the streets. Enjoy your build. Good luck. :)

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

9. mr50s

mr50s

Fordman1,

It amazes me how long a journey you've made already, without even rolling down the driveway yet! I knew you could do it. Well done. Now go get some sleep!!

mr50s

10. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Hey fordman1 you can drill the old key cyclinder so that you just hit the pins on the bottom of the key part. You will be able to use any key that will fit in the hole to start it. I used mine like this for a while till I bought one and sanded the bezel and polished it. It was one of the ones with the criscross pattern and I just grinded that part off.

11. fordman1

fordman1

Thanks on the input about the key situation. I talked to Dennis Carpenter and it sounds like key cylinders will be ready end of july. For now I have an on/off switch hidden and then hit the starter button to turn it over. A guy helped me get it started but he thought the new 6v had a dead cell so I took it to the place I bought it and they said it was perfect, so another buddy is charging the battery at work fully. As of this weekend the battery did not have enough juice to turn the motor over on its own without a charger hooked up. I am going to go through all the connections to make sure that is not the issue. Maybe have to go to an optima red top? In the long run I will switch to 12v. Next issue, lots of smoke! Hopefully it is a stuck ring and not blow by but kind of getting the feeling that the 226 may have worn cylinders. Threw in some Marvel Mystery oil and new plugs, with wires on the way. Next issue, no lights! So with the light switch on I get one tail light bright and that is somehow grounding the other one to come on dim, so maybe the sockets are bad so I am going to replace them. No headlights or brake lights, so new brake light switch and dimmer as they are both pretty crusty. (yes I know all new wiring would help this all). Finally I bought a mexican blanket for the seat and boy does that make a world of difference. With no tail lights and no way to start it if it died, my buddy and I hoped in yesterday and drove it around the block! It was awesome, stearing felt good, suspension was smooth, seat position was good, ran, quite a bit of clutch chatter but that is probably just rust on the flywheel, lots of smoke under acceleration, brakes were great at the 15-20 mph and she parked under her own power. I was a happy camper! So figure out the starting and lights and I will be ready for the wedding in two weeks.

12. fordman1

fordman1

pics of the interior, it looks better when you can see it tying in the color of the wheels. Oh I also picked up a pair of 15s for it and a vacuum canister for the wipers. New tires after the honeymoon, planning a dark washington blue or metal flake instead of red with spider caps or Cad sombreros.

Attached Files:

13. fordman1

fordman1

Anyone else buy a "Green Bible" ford manual and have it fall apart instantly? Took it to kinkos and they spiral bound it for 5 bucks.

Also I have a lead on a 12v generator, starter and heater that I think I will pick up off craigslist. New parts ordered (brake switch, fuel pump, etc) and that should be here by friday. Sounds like my battery is holding a charge but there may be a drain in the system.

Attached Files:

14. fordman1

fordman1

New fuel pump (old one may have been for a v8?), new brake light switch, new hi/lo dimmer switch and new starter soleniod. Got the headlights to work kinda, well one pretty well. Got one brakelights to work kinda, well one pretty well. No running lights in the back, no turn signals, no speedo, but SHE RUNS. About the best feeling ever! So stoked to have it parked at home. Thanks to my buddy Jacob for his help getting me here.

Still lots to do, but one chapter is closed as I start fixing all the other (many, many other) things.

15. fordman1

fordman1

All the guages other than Speedo work! THere is a lot of chatter/lurching from stopped to going in first, enough to shake the exhaust loose twice. Hopefully picking up another clutch and flywheel today. The only mexican blankets I could find only had one of the color I wanted so I may have to have mix and match for a while. Need to read up on covering my bare springs back seat. Going to buy new 6v headlights and hope that fixes that issue and hopefully the new sockets will be in tomorrow to fix the tail lights. Other than no blinkers or seatbelts, it is a dream to drive! Thinking after the wedding/honeymoon I will pull the side cover as there is a miss but it has spark and there is a clicking noise so it may have lost a vavle?

16. daddio211

daddio211

Awesome progress man. How about some progress pics too?

Thanks for continually updating the tread, and don't think that because nobody is replying we're not enjoying!

17. fordman1

fordman1

O reilly's didn't have 6v headlights so still running one dim and one bright on high beams (the red dot indicator on the instrument panel lights up to tell me though!). Also the heater controls light started working too. Really pumped about the little things I guess. Bought a hog ring plyer, some burlap and foam yesterday. Fixed any broken connections, then wrapped the back and bottom with overlap at the edges, spray adhesived foam down (1" on the back - all I had and an old seat cushion out of who knows what cut down to fit on the bottom), wrapped the back in 2" batting and then trimmed it all up, installed it and threw a blanket over everything. Went to the gas station and in OR they pump gas for you so I went to get a gatoraid, came out to fuel dumping everywhere, so I pushed it out of the way and it stopped gushing out so it must have been over filled, just not sure where it was purging from. Otherwise going great!

Attached Files:

18. fordman1

fordman1

Thanks Daddio and I broke 100 posts! Yeah not sure if anyone cares about my cars, as there are some spectacular builds on here, and mine are a little more mundane, but at least I can keep a running inventory of the progress I make (plus mistakes) along the way. It is nice to hear positive comments from fellow HAMBers.

19. Check your grounds on the lights. If one is burning bright and the other dim, I think you may have a voltage issue. It could be the ground at the lamp or it could be resistance in the + part of the circuit. If one is working right I would lean toward the ground.

Keep up the good work.

20. shoebox50

shoebox50

Looking Good!!

21. fordman1

fordman1

I rewired the headlights but the ground issue could be at the switch still, as I only rewired back to the dimmer. The tail lights ground through their housing and Dennis Carpenter should have a present waiting for me at the office tomorrow to fix those. All my family and friends are arriving and I have been picking them at the airport in the 50 as it holds the most people! Pretty awesome to pull up at Arrivals in it, especially for people I have not seen in quite a while.

22. Looking good, but you might want to figure out where that gas was leaking from... and carry a fire extinguisher. You just swapped the gas tank, sounds like something isn't right.

You should look into a dual master brake cylinder too. Simple swap, added safety.

23. msalamanca

msalamanca

Keep up the good work.
    This is what I was going to do with mine, get it going, and driving and work on it as I go.
    But, one thing led to another and its gutted. I think what started it was the 3 gallons of mice crap and dead mice I sucked up in the shop vac.

24. fordman1

fordman1

One small problem before the wedding, one day while out for lunch with my little sister and brother in law it wouldn't restart, so we tried push starting it, which didn't work and then I retried it after we parked it and it started right up. It made it up to the wedding just fine, though the way back down got a little hairy as I was on a steep hill for a long time and the brakes got a little warm and thus a little lacking. The photographer took a lot of pictures with everyone and the cars, mostly the 50. My buddy drove his 66 truck and my other friend drove my T and they were all parked out back where everyone headed to smoke the Dominican Cigars we had for wedding favors. Not to bore you, but to show off some great photography I have attached some of the pictures. Pretty awesome being married to a woman ok with a car addiction.

Attached Files:

25. fordman1

fordman1

There is a sound coming from the trans I think that sounds like something rubbing on sheet metal, not sure if it is the clutch or what. It could also be the front u joint that is shot so I will replace that and see. If I have to replace the clutch, I will have to pull the motor and then I might as well put in an overdrive. time will tell.

26. fordman1

fordman1

I was hoping the sound was the exhaust which was not mounted at all and was only held up by bailing wire so mounted some exhaust hangers today. Of course that did nothing. So I will swap in new U joints and maybe that will do it. I need to get the lights, wipers and heater sorted out for the winter soon. I am hoping that I won't have to yank the motor and trans before winter. If they have to come out, a Y block and overdrive will most likely go back in their place.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm diggin' the wedding pics - congrats !

Hopefully the noise will turn out to be a simple fix .

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Fordman!.Great find.Those 50`s are a great car.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. fordman1

fordman1

I am hoping I scored big on this craigslist purchase! Bought a shoebox ford overdrive off a guy that is all there, though of course I will go through it first (never rebuilt a manual trans before but oh well). Plus it came with a Cragar adapter to an early Cadillac OHV!!!!!!! So now my options are keep the 226 flathead 6, swap in a flathead V8, go with a Y block or pick up an early Cad! I am stoked. First things first, get the trans in and make it reliable (and not so annoying with the noises it is making right now). Get the wipers, heater and lights up to par. Then start looking at replacing the floors, bracing and lower body panels. After that I can think about dropping big coin on a motor. Maybe some new tires before that.:) Anyway I am excited. If I don't put a Cad in this, I could always use it to put in the Lightning Bug/Kookie Car clone I want to build some day. Pics to come later this week.

30. daddio211

daddio211

Talk to Mac at www.vanpeltsales.com for trans rebuild parts. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app