Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 pontiac chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ponch55, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ponch55

ponch55

I just picked up this '55 chieftain today. This is my first custom project. Previous owners started to customize it but it needs some love. Humps in the quarters have been flattend and 55 chevy tails installed, "eyebrows" on the front fenders have been removed and most trim shaved. Home made cowl induction hood covers the 305 with auto trans. I plan on driving this beauty as I slowly form it into my dream car. Plans include puting the stock steering wheel back, steel wheels back on the car and disc brakes. Eventually I want to put a pontiac 347 and 4 sp in the car. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw please excuse the flaming valve covers/air cleaner. They will be changed.

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Cool project but the hood & the tail-lights gotta go.

3. bbbronc

bbbronc

4. Streight8

Streight8

I kinda like that, but only a 347? It just looks like it needs something nasty under there.

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

6. bbbronc

bbbronc

x2 on the hood, but I like the chevy taillights

7. Looks like the previous owner wanted a chevy.

8. From the looks of it, it may be a Canadian Pontiac. They had the shorter Chevy body with a Pontiac dog house on the front.

9. Streight8

Streight8

Canadian Pontiac still had the bump with Chrome insert and Pontiac Tail lights. It was Dodge that just changed out the front sheet metal and used Plymouth Bodies for the Cnd cars. I had wondered if it isn"t a Hybrid of both Chev and Pontiac. If you go to this thread 1955 Canadian Pontiac Color Code White there is a picture of the rear end of the Pontiac. That would be pretty good body work to put those Chevy tail lights in.

10. belair

belair

That hood needs a new home, but I like the other mods. It really needs some Pontiac trim on it. Good idea on the 347.

kidcampbell71 and partssaloon like this.
  11. ponch55

ponch55

This was a us pontiac that a p.o. put chevy tail lights in, you can see the body work inside the quarter panel when you look up from under the car. I personally like it better this way. As far as the hood goes it is going away and a stock pontiac hood less the belts will take its place. Right now I need to get the interior put together. Does any one know of a good source for parts? (especially inerior stuff knobs, trim, headliner ect). Also is it possible to put early smallblock valve covers (the chevrolet script kind) on a 305?

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The hood belts are recessed in the stock hood and may look a little funny without them. It's all personal preferance, my car came with a hood that had the holes filled in already, if you were closer I could help you with the hood as i've put a stock hood on and only have the belts and lower chrome piece on the hood.

There is a differance also between the 55 and 56 hood. the easiest way to tell is the 55 has 2 holes per attatchment for each trim clip and the 56 has one. And the trim itself it differant also for each year. But if your not running the trim it really doesn't matter.

13. Streight8

Streight8

for assorted parts try online catalogues http://www.amesperf.com/ and http://performanceyears.com/

They each have different stuff for different years so it is always good to try both. Otherwise you have to stalk ebay. Should be several suppliers of headliners just google around for that or check the h.a.m.b links.
    If you to hunt for rare stuff. Pontiac script sb chevy valve covers came on the Cdn Pontiacs. I believe they exist in both bolt patterns, then at some point they went to a decal on a plain cover.

14. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

That could be an awesome car as soon as you ditch the gay stuff like the wheels, hood scoop, valve covers, and steering wheel. and definitely shave the trunk. In other words, nice score because it has potential.

15. yep, agree! Nice and straight, tho. Wouldn't worry about your flamed rocker covers. Look great!

16. bbbronc

bbbronc

do chevy headliners/door panels fit that pontiac?

17. bbbronc

bbbronc

18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Yes they do!
    347 and a 4 speed , You will need a 58 bellhousing and 55-57 clutch linkage. Ask me how I know.:confused:
    Lot of work, but a great start.
    KK

19. ponch55

ponch55

thanks for the info. I've spent the weekend trying to sort out the nightmare of wiring. It's old and crusty. Nothing worked when I got it. I have headlights,tail/brake lights, rear turn signals, and reverse lights now. Does anyone know if they make repro front turn signals?

20. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If your looking for just the lenses and gaskets, Ames still shows them in their catalog.

22. Streight8

Streight8

front light lenses and gaskets at Ames but no housings or chrome, both places have the catalogs online to download. You might have to scrounge for the rest or rebuild yours, I had to put new sockets in mine. I wlll check my scrounge pile I think I had one extra. Likley easier to check ebay from something in the us. Sometimes NOS stuff comes up.
    To rewire my rear lights I bought one of those trailer wiring kits that has 25 feet of the 4 color wires all molded flat. Pretty cheap and fit under ther rug without showing. (left, right, park and reverse all in one package). Really make sure you have good grounds I ended up soldering a ground right onto the socket to get optimal brightness and a solid flash.

23. hellerods

hellerods

Good score. My 2 cent's--- 347 not my first choice, install any 64' and later Poncho V8 350-389-400-428-455- with with 347 air cleaner and valve covers with new/old style generator-- nobody knows the dif--all parts are cheaper,easier to find, engines all have same exterior( 1955-287cu in <------------>1976 455) dimensions. Do some additional research and make your $$ go futher------Lee

24. Doug Phillips

Doug Phillips

25. Doug Phillips

Doug Phillips

I’m

26. noddaz

noddaz

What happened here? Did someone fix a 55 Pontiac with 55 Chevy 1/4 panels? I don't hate it. But it would be a lot of work to change it back. Lose the hood. The lines just do not flow. Or can you just remove the scoop? Smooth is ok also! Just suggestions. Drive it!
    I let a 4 door get away many years ago. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. lol

27. Doug Phillips

Doug Phillips

I’m glad to see someone excited about fixing up my old Pontiac, it had the 287 when I got it but it was tired had someone do paint and body work and had a built Chevy 350 to put in it the paint job turned out bad and the 350 I had the same person got a distributor for me and put in my 350 and it didn’t have the end that goes in the oil pump so soon as I started it up I cooked the bearings, I had so much money in the car by then I just got discouraged with it so I traded it for another cool car .keep us updated on your progress .

28. Doug Phillips

Doug Phillips

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Doug Phillips

Doug Phillips

Here are some pictures I had of it I thought you might like.

David Gersic and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

55 and 56 Pontiac WAGONS used the same basic tail light "body sheet metal" that the 55 Chevrolet cars used, so the Pontiac and Chevrolet tail light housings will swap out either way. It's the Pontiac CARS that had different tail lights altogether. The prior owner had to do some sheet metal work to make 55 Chevrolet tail lights fit/work. A friend in high school had a 55 Pontiac Hearse he used to carry his rock bands equipment in; silver with a black vinyl top.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.