Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need a 12 volt coil...suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oneqwkfbody, Jun 20, 2012.

1. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

i have a 54 packard that was changed over to 12 volt...the coil thats in there is questionable...

what replacement coil should i pick up at the parts store? will any GM 12 volt coil work? what year/model is affordable and easy to purchase? just checking before i get a bunch of perplexed looks at the parts store,,,,

thanks....

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

It probably doesnt matter but you need to get a ballast resistor that matches it. Or get an internally resisted one. They came on VW's but can be kinda pricey.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEADS UP!!-----No difference between a 12 volt or 6 volt coil!

4. scrubba

scrubba

Jus remember to run a Ballast resistor to the points . If not , you'll be forever buying points as they were designed to run on 6 volts ! scrubba

5. not any coil, some of the new coils for electronic ignition won't work. try ordering for a 72 chevelle 307.

6. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

ok thanks for the replies... for some reason i had thought that there was a difference when going from 6 to 12 volts as far as coils go.

i will look for a 72 chevelle.....

and yes, the car does have a ballast resistor wired in already...it currently runs and drives, but i am going to go through and make sure the ignition parts are all new and good....points set, wires, cap rotor, coil and plugs,,,

thanks for the advice!

7. roundvalley

roundvalley

Go to Ebay.

BORG WARNER E40 used without the ballast resistor. $16.95- free shipping.

I use one and do away with the resistor.

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I just picked up an Andover 12V Coil for my Flathead, made in the USA. Got it from GMC Bubba.