Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surface rust on our expensive machines.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Here in florida hudimity is always high, and salty near the Atlantic Ocean. What do you use to slow down surface rust. WD 40 does not last very long.
    Answer fast as this won't be here long, even that many of us have this all the time.

2. randy

randy

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

A good wax should eliminate much of the problem.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

If you are talking machine tools, wax wouldn"t do it. Cutting oil will thicken over time and help prevent rust, but needs to be wiped off where you need to contact on the tables. there are sprays that are sort of like cosmoline that really help, from grainger's MSC or Mc Master. or even a coat of linseed oil will dry and prevent rust.

Never ending battle of the dew point.

5. bonn scott

bonn scott
    from SW Ohio

For machine tools I use some 10 weight oil on all exposed surfaces.

Later...

6. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Forget the snake oil remedies.

Use Boeshield T9.

http://boeshield.com/

It really works to prevent corrosion on metals.

B.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I was looking at my 61 chevy a couple days ago, didn't see any rust on it. I think I sanded the paint off it in 2007.

8. Careful, nobody likes a smartass!:D

9. badshifter

badshifter

I do. Makes me feel right at home.

10. I Drag

I Drag

To prevent rust on exposed metal surfaces, I use................paint.

11. Non-detergent motor oil [t s c stores]

12. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

lanolin based lubes, such as lanotec. spray or wipe on and can be painted over if need be.

13. Willy301

Willy301

You guys that are commenting with paint have never owned a high end machine tool, you do not paint the ways or the table on a good bridgeport, as it can actually affect the level of the table when you try to clamp down parts to machine them. I use oil, but in an extremely salty environment, some of the other suggestions may be a better solution. Placing a dehumidifier in the shop helps a lot with the humidity portion of the equation though.

14. Weasel

Weasel

Blue Lightning metal prep works well for me on bare metal car bodies, even at the beach....

15. I spent $225 on a LG dehumidifier 4 years ago and it is seriously some of the best money i have spent. i have a fairly tight building that the moisture would get in, but i could not get it out. I had wet floors most days and it turned into mold very quickly on most everything the first year i was in it. I have a shop full of mills lathes saws and since the LG, i have had no rust or mildew/mold problems. I have mine set to drain outside and it is set at 40%. as side benefit is that it feels much cooler in there with the dryer air.
    I have also used the Boesheild, good stuff.