Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patina Aguilera

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooch, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Oxidation on brass, bronze and like metals is not rust. It's oxidation.

Cleaning, hopefully. Redefining? Probably not as it's been defined very well, it's just in the last few years things snuck in. The big wheel shit, except for that 61 wagon have pretty much been kept at bay.

2. zep058

zep058

This thread may have turned out quite different if the photochop was never posted. I wonder if you will continue on with the same direction or if you have been "re-educated" by the caring members of the board?

Good luck with your truck Hooch

3. I think you hit the nail on the head. And now the op is back peddeling so he wont get beat too bad. He came to the right site and he came here for the reason we all do ..... there is an enormous amount of talent here and we love seeing that and getting ideas. If he had a 32 roadster in like shape he wouldn't have got beat so bad...Its a mob menality here not just tradition..If Gambino Kustoms puts a thread up of there bagged ride...Laying Frame... everyone stands in line to give them kudos, People that are knocking each other while talking about mustang 2 front ends and disk brakes and 5speeds out of s-10's or hell even using the whole s-10 frame..I've seen cantilevered airbag suspensions and semi-eliptical set ups and the masses here were so busy kissing there asses that no one said this shit isn't traditional. It seems every one interprets it diffrently..people are buying speedway motors brand new dropped axle they are not bending there own. Watch I'll get beat because my name has fng beside it it doesnt mean I dont know how to biuld a car it means I havent posted 2000 times and became a member of the comment on everthing club

4. 117harv

117harv

I have been here abit less time than you ^^^ i have 3000 + posts and 90% are posts that help the site, so the comment on everything club is not 100% true. I agree with most of what you said, FNG means nothing, as you say, there is alot of members here that know so much, they just don't post often.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like the truck, I like genuine patina. I've been buying and selling mid century antiques for decades, I used to restore everything now I don't unless it's really beat up. I think your truck if you can at least keep it the rust to where it is would be great. A few inches closer to the ground would be great.

Boy, you kids get all riled up, I like that.

6. deto

deto

So what about the truck OP?

7. Hey Nads; I'm planning a sophistocated top secret ops commando raid to sneak in your garage and paint a couple of your cars. How come Overhaulin' hasn't stolen my shit yet?

8. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Expert craftmanship is to be admired. Innovation and attention to detail make the rod. Great workmanship is the standard which some achieve and all of us aspire to.

Now kid stuff has been around as long as raccoon tails, angel hair and bullet holes. Sometimes they can be cool but too often it's part of the monkey see monkey do scene. Maltese crosses, skulls, whatever these things come and go.

Lowering cars is damn traditional but this idea of layin' everything on the ground is just dumb to me. And almost passe' now...

Even worse callin' rust patina...maybe we should start calling bondo body science and bald tires drag slicks too.

When did calling bad or no workmanship become cool? Any kid can buy an old car torch the springs, put wide whitewalls, and leave the rust. Hell I did that when I was a kid because I had no money and didn't know better. Hacked together rods with street signs as a floor and a beer can held on by bailing wire for an overflow is so damn bitchin' I can't stand it...right.

Build and drive what you want, if you want a clown car so be it. Suggesting that a car should be left rusty because paint is for old guys is like so trendy.

Pardon me while I refill my latte' and check facebook and twitter on how to build my next car.

9. slammed

slammed

Pile on the bitchin'.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Not that i really care, but what i thought was good about the 61 wagon werent the silly large wheels, nor the street roddish interior, and not even the fact that he clear coated the bare metal.
    But the way he patiently cleaned all the surface rust and shit from the car.
    I thought it looked good. W/ a set of proper wheels/tires, a stock interior and some gibbs or whatever to protect the body it would have been a nice daily.
    Here i pan out/

11. S.F.

S.F.

except 40 Fords

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

nope even 40's. :p

13. I wish they were because '40 hoods are hard to find.

14. Gromit

Gromit

....Even worse callin' rust patina...maybe we should start calling bondo body science and bald tires drag slicks too...

Thanks! I think you helped me find a way to sell the scrap tires behind my shop....

15. Gromit

Gromit

and for the record.. wasn't the remark about removing the hood to make the truck look more like "Mater" from "Cars"? I thought it was funny... and sort of accurate.

16. Well deserved. But we did have a good discussion. ;)

And thanks for remembering my Birthday.

17. Hooch
    The binder can be cool, just to find it like it this is pretty cool in its own right. I don't recall them being popular for anything but haulers but I do recall a few as push trucks and also as shop trucks.

I say that I am not big on rust but my last truck didn't get much love I am afraid. That was not for tradition it was for lack of ambition, well that and it was just too much fun to drive.

You have chosen one definition of patina that we don't care to use. The truck was not bare metal to start with so a more proper word for what you have is decay. I am not saying that to be mean to you just honest.

The signage on the truck is just too cool for school, but the signage also defines the truck as a work truck. The truck is heavy and could make a very smooth albeit stylized work truck, signage and all restored (or personalized) and modified underneath the skin.

I believe from your photo shop of the truck that you are leaning toward the custom route. Maybe you did go a little extreme with your photo shop of the truck but it is good for inspiration. Many builds start out as an extreme concept and then reality sets in when the build gets underway. I don't recall too many rusty customs but I do recall quite a few brush painted customized drivers. Rust or patina if you prefer is an easy fix, a little elbo grease and a can of rustolium and you are well on your way.

I doubt that you are going to listen to anything that I am saying, you have already sullied up as they say in the Ozarks. But just maybe someone else can learn from your example.

Be happy and don' take anything personal until someone talks about your mom. After all it is just the HAMB.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

c'mon down

19. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

I see a bunch of you are still pissin and moaning about that truck and what TRADITIONAL is. Give it a rest and go work on something.

20. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

LOL very true.

21. Well seeing as how I was the last to post anything real I guess you are talking about me. Not that I need the last word but you are right here pissing ansd moaning about those who would like to see the board stay traditional instead of being out working on something.

In simpler terms look at the pot calling the kettle black.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Show us what you're building first. Must be something awesome... Though if it doesn't fit here don't bother. :eek:

23. Well my achs ansd pains from sleeping are finally wearing off I'm out into the heat for some fun in the sun.

Hey can I post a pic of my jeep, its not traditional yet but when I paint the wheels red it will be dope.

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

that truck wouldnt last 2 years around here!

25. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

My post wasn't pointed at anyone in particular. I just noticed that this discussion keeps on going and going, to what end? Your not going to change any ones mind on the subject. Pretty funny really.

26. Actually people learn all the time, some mules take a little longer and other just jump the fence.

I guess its like talking to a wall, but I learned something a long time ago if you keep throwing crap at a wall some of it will hit the cracks and get to the other side.

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You know, I'll bet that this is the only board on the Internet dedicated to a traditional subject where the word "traditional" is seen as a dirty one.
    Paul

28. Paul
    I should probably leave this along because it is cutting into my play time. But I think that this should be mentioned.

There are a lot of folks on the web, they want to show off their new or old projects. The HAMB is a good place to do that. They will get as much if not more coverage here that they would in most magazines.

Then someone either points out to them that there is a better or more traditional way to build their car or that their ideas or car really don't fit in well and they get their feelings hurt for lack of a better way to describe it.

So now "traditional" is a bad word because they are embarrassed and don't know what to do about it.

I remember being at a friends house one time and he walked in on his daughter in the bathroom. Well he threw a big hairy fit because she hadn't locked the door, when it was really just as much his fault because he didn't knock on the closed latched door. He could have just said excuse me and back back out, but he was embarrassed and didn't know what to do.

Not a despised word just an awkward situation.

OK next time I post if it is not at least 3:00 PM central time one of you fellas with a little shit about ya reminde me that I have better things to do. It is now 12:15 for you fellas on a different hemsiphere. If you are not good at tact benno get the hell back to work will suffice. ;)

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

B I N G O
    we have some wieners.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.