Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting firewall on a '32 for channeling, where??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Looking for suggestions, ideas, and pictures for the best and least hacking up of the firewall to channel my '32 Ford sedan about 3". I thought about drilling out the rivits holding the feet on and making new feet 3" shorter and putting in place of the originals. Open to ANY other suggestions, and any close up pictures would be great. Thanks

2. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i think just taking it off the bottom is the best. take the legs off and trim the firewall where you need . then put the legs back on.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've never done it so take it with a grain of salt...but I think I would cut it at the top of the toeboard and leave the whole bottom area intact including the feet.
    You would have a straight, clean slice to deal with for much less fabrication...in MY opinion anyway.

4. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Couple of ideas there, thanks, anybody else??

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I would use a strait edge on either side of the chassis and scribe vertical lines on firewall. Mark it with tape and determine how much you are channeling it. Measure up that distance from the chassis and scribe a horizontal line, that is where the body will sit when channeled. Now cut that section out, move it up to where the horizontal line is scribed and voila, done. Now weld section back in. You should have 2 x rectangular sections of metal that were removed from firewall.

6. I haven't done one before but this is how I would tackle it. In my opinion the feet are the best part of the firewall and I wouldn't want to make them short and stumpy...

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Won't that put you in the angled part of the toeboard?
    I'm saying do the same basic thing but make the horizontal cut just above the toeboard bend.
    Your vertical cuts are a bit longer...but everything will basicly line up and the toeboard remains stock in size and shape.

Must be 50 variations on how to do it I suppose.....:cool::D

8. SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE

SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE
    from ASHLAND OH

I just took the feet off,moved them up 3" and plug welded them back on on my pickup,looks factory.clearanced around bell housing and that's all it took.simple,clean,and factory looking.

9. 31whitey

31whitey

You can section it... 3 out the middle, long ways, then drop it and weld the top and bottom back together.

Or

You can remove the band that runs along the top and sides, cut 3 inches off the top, leaving the toe part and legs stock., replace the band.

10. hammeredt

hammeredt

I found this surfing for inspiration for my own channeled deuce project. I think this is JimmyB's photo (came from another sight). I hope you don't mind Jimmy. If you look close you can see the cuts made. This was done to accomodate a 6" (ish) channel.

[​IMG]

11. SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE

SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE
    from ASHLAND OH

I dont think any of these ideas are bad or wrong,but I think some of u guys are looking too deep into this,I did my truck exactly 3",it's a partial channel over the frame and I didn't have to section it,or cut the toe board area all up,just trimmed them back a little,but not enough to give any headaches,and it's way less work than sectioning.3" isn't alot,on a channel,plus you don't wanna ruin the lines of a deuce firewall by sectioning it.i can email some pics if ya like.let me know.