Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips needed on getting a car with no suspension or wheels to the scrapyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jun 15, 2012.

1. k9racer

k9racer

Run ad's in different papers/ craigs list and so on and sell whats left to a jag guy the are like us. Somebody need's some Jag parts. You might be surprised..

2. bigchuckstud

bigchuckstud

call a tow truck

3. chubbie

chubbie

thats funny

4. chubbie

chubbie

I used to live close to a salvage yard, we would roll them over and pull them turtle to the yard 3 miles!! they pulled hard on gravel roads but they slid nice on black top roads! had to be care full, they would pass you!!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I wanted the frame and running gear out of a low mileage,rusty 3/4 ton 1973 Suburban. I disconnected every thing, trailered it to the scrap yard. They removed the heavy body from the strapped down frame with a crane and paid ME for the privilege of doing so.:D it never left the trailer.

6. Nice

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

That brings back bad memories of the XJS V12 Coupe I bought for $200.00 worth of labor. I thought I was going to make a killing on the deal. Lost a year old Snap On floor jack in the process of getting it home and after months of adds sold the rear ONLY if the guy promissed to take the whole lump. That was long before scrap prices were at the level they are today. :( Bob

8. Mashed---Number one answer, you win.

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Head... hurting... owwwwww... owwwwwwwwww...

Attached Files:

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Cut it up , i think you might even get more $$$$$$ when small pieces.
    B.B.
    MY $.02

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The roll it on it's top then drag it onto the trailer idea works great, I've done a few that way before.
    I built a piece for my tractor 3 point hitch that works like a wrecker, back up to the car, hook chains to it and to tractor, lift it up and back it onto trailer. This works best if at least one end rolls.

12. GREASER815

GREASER815

I just have my local junkyard bring their rollback, winch it up onto it, and it is out of my way and I didnt have to do anything but watch.

13. Ralph

Ralph

I scrapped an 82 Chevy Pickup for the suspension, then just sawzalled it up small enough to load by myself by hand. Lotsa work, but satisfying in a warped kind of way.
    Ralph

14. Actually my suggestion about donating it to charity wasn't intended to be funny. The lady next door called a wrecking yard and paid them $100 to tow her car away and scrap it. A charity would have done it for free and given her a tax deduction. They also tend to be less concerned about the condition of the car (eg, missing suspension).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  15. toddc

toddc

This is how a friend of mine did it :D:D:D[​IMG]

16. johnboy13

johnboy13

I figured there'd be at least one of you guys on here. Please go back and read the original post. I didn't say I didn't know how to load the car, I asked for tips to do it the easiest (read cheapest) and quickest (read I don't have the room or time to cut a car apart with a sawzall). Please enlighten me on how the original post would ever cause you to question my skills. Maybe your lack of reading comprehension should cause the rest of us to question your building skills, no?

To everyone else, the seller thinks the thing is made of gold and is unwilling to budge on the asking price. I'm now hoping that I can get what I want for what I figured I'd have in it after scrapping the shell. If that happens, I won't need to worry about getting rid of it. Thanks for all the advice.

17. Years ago I stripped an old Road Runner in the street in front of my moms house. (Yes, it was a different era) Once I got done picking the carcass I called a guy from a local yard and told him beforehand that it had no suspension, front or back. An hour later he showed up in a rollback, lowered the deck and dragged that pile right on up. No problem.

18. Around here, scrappers will bid for the pleasure of taking it.

Cosmo

19. Giovanni

Giovanni

x2!

20. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW there were a few of those 4 door Jags at Al's Salvage in Franklin, WI a couple weeks ago. No idea what they would want for the suspensions, or whether they are the desirable years, but they are pretty good guys to deal with. I'd call first and make sure they haven't been crushed before you make a trip.