Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would u chop a 51 F1 panel truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadKat, Jul 25, 2005.

1. RoadKat

RoadKat

I have a chance to get a F1 panel truck, and I was wondering if anybody has rodded one of these and what would look cool on this truck? Or would it be a waste of resources, and too ugly?

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

hell yeah. CHOP IT!!! panels are cool.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Cool truck. No chop!!!

4. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

Chop it till you cant fit your arm out the window..... Channel it a little too, just enought to get the cab sittin on the running boards.

5. DRACINTHEBOX

DRACINTHEBOX
    from Delaware

No Chop! Panel's are cool just like they are, there is little chance of improving the aesthetics and a really good chance of ruining a perfectly good truck.

6. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Try it in photoshop/mspaint first and see if you like it.

I've actually been thinking how one would look for the past couple weeks. I think it could look cool.

Also, Gravedigger started as a 51 Ford panel truck. Maybe you could do something like that?

7. RagDoll

RagDoll

Do it, so I don't have to cut mine to find out if I like it! ;) JK. Try it in photoshop, then see if you like it. If you do...GO FOR IT! It's YOUR ride. I personally think it would look cool.

8. I have chopped a few of them and the Chevys too -they respond well-
    I believe I chopped the one for Gary Stock from Illinois [that ended up painted Orange] about 10-15 yrs ago and it was 3" at rear and 4" at front[its a st. rod:p ] but if you dont put a slight tilt in them they look like a TORPEDOE if chopped very much.....If I remember there is a lot of work on the rear door top area.....however you do it -DO NOT- WIDEN it......I never do......

9. lownrusty

lownrusty

do it! heck yeah!

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

What choprods said. 3-4 chop or 5-6.

11. Pyro

Pyro
    from Marcy, NY

I think its up 2 you, but i say chop it. heres a little ms paint (my friend has my laptop w/ photoshop) it was done really quick w/ a pic off google but u get the idea...

hope it helps
    stephen

Attached Files:

12. RagDoll

RagDoll

I think I changed my opinion. I guess I would have to see it in person, but I think it is starting to look too much like the sedan deliveries. I'm leaving mine unchopped...but again, if it floats your boat, I say CHOP IT.

Thanks for the photochop, Pyro!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

do a seach for atch and his panel, cant find any pix on my desktop but its preety bitchin. its white with 5 spokes i think, gota mild chop. all the pix of it ive seen are on the salt. id definatly go for it

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I had one a long time ago & considered chopping it (didn't have the tools back then) & figured it'd be a LOT of work (loads of long, flat panels succeptible to warping) to get right. I think these would look good with a mild chop vs a heavy chop.

They are unique enough to not require anything though...:D

As with the trucks, watch for rust in the front sheet metal, particularly around the grille area. Also on the panels, inside wheel wells.

15. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

One cool way to do this is to chop the front and slant the rest down to meet it. A friend of mine did this to a 54 F-100 panel, calls it Slightly Slanted.
    Another cool trick is to replace the rear doors with the glass hatch out of a late 70s Pinto. Looks really good and if your rear doors are good you can sell them for a mint.

16. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Here are some pics I found of what it could look like.

I think if you did a even chop and then put some tall tires on the back to give it a mean rake and it could look pretty cool. You could tub the back of it inside too and fit some really big tires in the back.

It would be a truck and you could have a back seat too. Damn, I want one now.

Attached Files:

17. Tony

Tony

I know this is a chevy and not a ford, but it's easy to see why i posted this.
    A friend of ours did this one a couple years ago..

This thing looks KILLER with the chop!

If i had one, i'd really consider it..

Attached Files:

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

There's a shit-load of hours in gettin' a panel chop ta look right, almost
    like a sectioning job. Many pie cuts and slits in the rear post/quarter areas
    Be sure ta brace the snot out of the inside of the body prior ta maken' any
    cuts.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Those panel trucks always seemed to have too much roof crown to them, in my opinion. Chopping them would exaggerate the roof crown, make them look "bald headed". I would consider reducing the roof crown on the top, but leaving the window/side height stock. I saw a 49-51 Ford woodie wagon done like that and it looked so right, factory should have done them that way.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'd leave the top alone and slam the suspension HARD. Just my opinion. 'Cause you've got to realize I can do suspension work but suck at body work:eek: :D

Frank

21. I'm not gonna chop my chevy panel, but I would like to try a chop on my 48 suburban. Although it's a big job for my first chop, I might have to recruit some help.

22. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

here you go.... throwed together theese 2 for you....one chopped and one chopped and sectioned.
    The sectioned one allmost turned out as a Volvo Duett :)

Attached Files:

23. greggski

greggski

Please don't chop it! They look great with out any roofline change. Lower it is a different story. Gregg

24. RoadKat

RoadKat

Fellas I am blown away with all the photo work, and ideas, my fat head is spinning around. I see now what bothered me most was the roof crown. I dont think anyone could have stood up inside even back then. The chop and section is awsome,the black 51 is way too cool, I was thinking I could put my locksmith stuff in there and get lots of free advertising driving it around. Also want to thank everyone for posting such good ideas. Now I will have to learn this Microsoft digital image program to fine tune my thinking. I am excited about getting this truck now.