Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Mercury coupe project value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Sep 27, 2011.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Looking for another "winter" project and located this 49 Mercury project. This is not an area of expertise for me so was looking for some honest-opinion appraisals from hopefully HAMBERS who have these type of cars. This coupe has been sitting for about 35 years. He says he has all the parts except for the exterior body trim which he was not going to use. Body work is all done and looks good. It is on the stock chassis that was sandblasted and painted. Motor and drive train is stock 49 Merc and is free but has not run in years. Inside is still old original cloth that is not terrible but not usable as-is. All good glass, grill, bumpers, factory skirts. Clean title, owner lost interest and asking for offer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Same answer as always. The value is whatever you are willing to pay that the owner will accept.

3. studebaker46

studebaker46

good answer chrisntx that is the value what you are willing to pay and what the seller is willing toaccept tom

4. About a month ago on eBay there was a dealer in the upper central west, like Montana, I think, that listed a '51 coupe a couple times. It was fresh out of the barn, not even washed, not running, complete except a couple trim pieces, body looked good, descrip said it needed floors. On the second round it sold somewhere in the mid-$5000s.

We had a '49 here that was much worse, and it did not sell, but when someone offered to swap a '72 Chevy C30 with a working tilt bed on it, that runs and goes, my buddy took the deal. From what I see, that truck's worth about $2500 give or take. He put it on the road and uses it as a backup for his big truck.

Forgot to mention I cut a roof, okay doors and crappy quarters off a '51 coupe last month, too, I've been asking in the $1000 range on (seems like I posted them here in the classified for less).

That car is better than the eBay car in some regards in that work's been done, but worse in others, primarily that it's apart and comes in boxes. I'd say if you can get it for under $5K, you've done pretty well, and under $4000 you probably stole it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

5. low merc51

low merc51

Everyone is right on the price $4000 to $7000 is the range on a merc like this one!!! I gave $8500 for a nice running 51 merc a year ago that needs restored a little to much but I wanted it pretty bad !!!

6. Ltorch

Ltorch

deft $4,000 to $7,500 as it sits.

7. Since it's a Coupe,i'd say around 6k. If it was together and running,you could double that.

8. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

...thanks for the help! Good info!

9. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

idk,,,imma need his name and address and phone# then mabe i can tell ya how much its worth...:rolleyes:

10. If I was in the market I'd pay $5-8K for it. I'd go down if the floors were bad, and the trunk/ tail pan needed work. I'd even consider going up a bit if the stainless was mint it was super clean. But I'd probably be out at $9K.

11. Estimates that have been provided seem in the ball park provided the "looks good" body work isn't just cosmetic and it is done properly. As you are certainly aware, that is your most expensive and time consuming resoration challenge.

12. desotot

desotot

if the floor is as rust free as the roof its worth a lot more than if it's a Fred Flintstone special.

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

looks pretty solid. rust free mercs arent cheap, my last 50 i sold for $9k it was banged up a bit more than that one and no running gear, but it was almost rust free....

14. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

I just found this thread and I am looking at a 1949 mercury 4 door. It is an older restoration that has been sitting inside for 20 years but has recently been taken out and the carb has been gone through, fuel lines cleaned out, brakes working so now it is a running, driving car. The paint is still decent but it is showing a little bit of filler cracking on the passenger quarter and maybe one other spot but it looks minor. It has the original motor and tranny with overdrive unit. 100% original/complete car. Hes asking 10,500. What do you guys think its worth?

Attached Files:

15. It's worth starting your own thread!!